daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 30th, 2011, 12:43 PM   #28541
olidobbs

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpandauerDamm69 View Post
This Tower looks great! Especially the way it tapers at the base, it looks stylish with the public square and the memorial.

Isn't "Freedom Tower" a bit over the top though, I mean you already have the "Statue of Liberty". It brings to mind those infamous "Freedom Fries" from a few years back! Was there any public debate in choosing this name?
It isn't called the Freedom Tower anymore. It's One World Trade Center.
olidobbs no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2011, 12:44 PM   #28542
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

labor costs? I'm pretty sure it's far cheaper to build in China than it is in the United States. Same if a similar maglev line were proposed in the US, it would cost a just bit more to build in the states, no?
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 12:46 PM   #28543
philipx

Likes (Received): 166

The old design of this building looks like statue of liberty,I think the name 'freedom tower' should for that one.But for the new one 1wtc is better.
philipx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 12:53 PM   #28544
philipx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
labor costs? I'm pretty sure it's far cheaper to build in China than it is in the United States. Same if a similar maglev line were proposed in the US, it would cost a just bit more to build in the states, no?
No,do you know chicago trump tower?it is 423m and cost only about 800million dollars.
Old November 30th, 2011, 02:02 PM   #28545
VRS

Likes (Received): 11521

Nice picture at evening
VRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 02:18 PM   #28546
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipx View Post
No,do you know chicago trump tower?it is 423m and cost only about 800million dollars.
You have to take into consideration that 1WTC is a terrorist proof building. Construction material-wise it's essentially several buildings fused into one. It's incredibly massive so that it can withstand any possible threat
Old November 30th, 2011, 03:05 PM   #28547
philipx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
You have to take into consideration that 1WTC is a terrorist proof building. Construction material-wise it's essentially several buildings fused into one. It's incredibly massive so that it can withstand any possible threat
eh,so it's in order to resist terrorist attack?ok,I see.
Old November 30th, 2011, 03:10 PM   #28548
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Yup. It's core is gigantic when compared to other skyscrapers and the building uses unconventional methods like steel rising before the core to further increase the strength of the building and to prevent progressive collapse at all costs
Old November 30th, 2011, 03:22 PM   #28549
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Well done, just a little thing: Tower One is also self-containted (it means that it has all the mechanical equipment it needs inside the building), as well as it's ment to achieve a Gold LEED standar. This, among many other features, makes Tower One the most expensive tower to build in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipx View Post
The old design of this building looks like statue of liberty,I think the name 'freedom tower' should for that one.But for the new one 1wtc is better.
No, no no; the current spire and the communication platform ring arrangement is ment to evoke Liberty's torch.

Last edited by Otie; November 30th, 2011 at 03:28 PM.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #28550
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

The core of this building is a normal sized core. The difference are the core walls, which are thicker than in other buildings of this height.

And the construction method, doesn't increase the strength of a building at all, it's the overall design and engeneering which does.

Also, no one ever claimed that the new towers would withstand an attack simmilar to the 911 one. It was just mentioned, that these buildings would stand longer than the twins did, ergo more time to save people.

I simply don't like it when poeple make their own conclusions out of nowhere and irritate other forumers. So guys, please stick to facts.
Old November 30th, 2011, 03:48 PM   #28551
friendsofthecity

Likes (Received): 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
The core of this building is a normal sized core. The difference are the core walls, which are thicker than in other buildings of this height.

And the construction method, doesn't increase the strength of a building at all, it's the overall design and engeneering which does.

Also, no one ever claimed that the new towers would withstand an attack simmilar to the 911 one. It was just mentioned, that these buildings would stand longer than the twins did, ergo more time to save people.

I simply don't like it when poeple make their own conclusions out of nowhere and irritate other forumers. So guys, please stick to facts.
Those are good evidences you stated in your comment. In a nutshell, saving more lives in the case of an attack or accident is the basic reason behind those security measures. I don't think there is a building as that tall that can withstand the impact of an airline of 9/11 size without any damages.

On sticking to facts, you don't expect everybody to be able to do that because everybody has different opinions to express in a forum, whether they are right or they are demanding.
friendsofthecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 04:58 PM   #28552
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

The core is indeed bigger and innovative than any other typical high-rise; there are PATH vents located at each corner of the core, refuge rooms at every floor, water storage tanks spreaded through the building, extra elevators for evacuation, a firefighting shaft with its own elevator, along with other functions.

The techniques used during construction does affect the overall strength of the building. For example, Collavino changed the concrete mix proportions in order to meet the compressive strenght:
  • 300 lbs. of cement
  • 70 lbs, of fly ash
  • 475 pounds of slag
  • ¾-inch nominal aggregate
Collavino also adopted night pours and introduced ice into the mix.

I recall hearing Chris Ward stating that the tower can withstand any 9/11 style event. Although he's not an engineer, he's right. It was also mentioned that the base can withstand a truck bomb.

Last edited by Otie; November 30th, 2011 at 05:11 PM.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 05:25 PM   #28553
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

I didn't say that the core is not innovative, i just said the core has a normal size. Nothing too big for a building this size.

WTC1 (new) ~ 43m * 33m
WTC1 (old ) ~ 42m * 27m
(Ground floor core sizes)

Plus, since this one is all office, it has to have of course more elevators which results in a bigger core, than lets say residential towers or mixed use of this height.

Furthermore:

Posted by Kanto: "and the building uses unconventional methods like steel rising before the core to further increase the strength of the building and to prevent progressive collapse at all costs "

It's indifferent for the building's strength if they build the core ahead of the floors or vice versa. In the end it will work as a whole to withstand forces and not particially.

What you mentioned Otie is the MATERIAL, which indeed effects a building's strength. But not the example Kanto mentioned, and for what i gave senseful arguments.
Old November 30th, 2011, 07:21 PM   #28554
Kanto
Roof height crusader

With a gigantic core I meant it's mass and thickness is gigantic, not it's dimensions. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough

Btw, I remember once asking why do the WTC buildings use the steel first method when other towers like Shanghai Tower, Pentominium or Shard use the concrete core first method. I searched in my memory and for the exact terms in the past of this thread and it's because in the WTC towers they coat the connections of the core columns and the beams between the core columns and the perimeter columns with concrete. Making the connections a part of the concrete core increases the strength of the core holding the floors and the strength of the core structure - perimeter structure connection, which was iirc the most critical weakness of the old Twins. The exact term of these connections which get fused with the concrete core was dovetail joints

Important note: This is what I understood from the answers I recieved back then. I may have misunderstood something so I apologize if I did and I encourage people to correct me if my knowledge is wrong
Old November 30th, 2011, 08:02 PM   #28555
kanye
WDNF-Mod | RIP desertpunk

Likes (Received): 8513

30 November 2011
[IMG]http://i39.************/106ek37.jpg[/IMG]
by anniem

Last edited by kanye; November 30th, 2011 at 08:17 PM.
kanye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 09:06 PM   #28556
Amrafel
Bratislava YIMBY

Likes (Received): 5006

When it would be topped out?

BRATISLAVA YIMBY.
Amrafel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 09:17 PM   #28557
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Roof early 2012, spire late 2012
Old November 30th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #28558
Dirty new yorker

Likes (Received): 25

It appears the cranes are quite active today, new floors perhaps?
Old November 30th, 2011, 10:13 PM   #28559
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Quote:
Originally Posted by zafor View Post
j.o.r.o.

image hosted on flickr

When topped out, will the freedom tower's roof be at the very top of the cranes?
That was already said here a while ago, I can't find that post. But then the roof was as high as the cranes then, so at this moment the roof is a bit lower as the top of the cranes.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 10:43 PM   #28560
Mercenary

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Roof early 2012, spire late 2012
Why would it take almost the whole year for the spire?

There is hardly any construction for it?

All you do is hoist it up?
Mercenary no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center