daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 26th, 2007, 02:32 AM   #2861
EnDleSsWaLtZ

Likes (Received): 22

did they finish pouring the concrete in to the core yet?
EnDleSsWaLtZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2007, 11:15 AM   #2862
Tag_one

Likes (Received): 6

They finished it in the left core. In the right core they still need to do the concrete pouring.
Tag_one no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 10:32 PM   #2863
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

arise core, arise!
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 12:11 AM   #2864
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5222

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 12:54 AM   #2865
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/25/bu...=1&oref=slogin
Merrill Lynch Expected to Quit Downtown for Midtown

By CHARLES V. BAGLI
Published: October 25, 2007

Merrill Lynch & Company, the world’s largest brokerage firm, appears ready to move its longtime headquarters from Lower Manhattan to a new skyscraper in Midtown, across Seventh Avenue from Pennsylvania Station, according to government officials and real estate executives.

The move would be a blow to downtown and its supporters in Albany, including Gov. Eliot Spitzer, and it would hobble efforts to re-establish ground zero as a financial center. But it would be a major boost to the developer Steven Roth’s ambitions for the Penn Station area.

Both Larry A. Silverstein, the developer at ground zero, and Brookfield Properties, Merrill’s current landlord at the nearby World Financial Center, submitted sweetened last-minute offers last week that were as much as $1 billion cheaper than the Midtown option, according to government officials and real estate executives who have been briefed on the negotiations.

But the investment bank has “given every indication,” those officials and executives said, that it plans to build a $4 billion, 3 million-square-foot tower on Seventh Avenue, between 32nd and 33rd Streets, that would be home for 11,000 employees. The building, at the current site of the Hotel Pennsylvania, would have significantly more square footage than the Empire State Building, though it might not be as tall.

Indeed, Merrill is negotiating with the owner of the Midtown development site, Mr. Roth’s Vornado Realty Trust, and interviewing prospective developers for the project this week, including Tishman Speyer Properties, Rudin Management and Hines, according to real estate executives.

The potential relocation, which would not occur until 2013, comes as Merrill reported $7.9 billion in write-downs yesterday, leading to its first quarterly loss in six years. State officials hold out hope that the company’s difficult financial situation will prompt it to reconsider leaving Lower Manhattan.

“We understand that Merrill is still reviewing several options and suspect that they have to take into account a variety of factors, including cost and execution risk, before determining how to proceed,” said Avi Schick, president of the Empire State Development Corporation, who has been involved in discussions with Merrill Lynch.

Jason Wright, a Merrill spokesman, said the company was “evaluating all our options” and expected “to come to a conclusion shortly.”

Jones Lang LaSalle, the real- estate firm advising Merrill, did not return calls requesting comment. A Roth spokesman also declined comment.

Merrill has been negotiating with Vornado over the terms of a billion-dollar 65-year lease that would give the company control of the half-block hotel site, according to executives who have been briefed on the talks. Those executives noted that the negotiations could fall apart given the hard-bargaining nature of the participants and Merrill’s financial situation.

Under the proposed deal, Merrill would demolish the hotel and erect a building that would include 80,000-square-foot trading floors on the lower levels. But there are questions about whether the tower can be completed by 2013, when Merrill’s lease expires at the World Financial Center. The Hotel Pennsylvania demolition project requires public approval, which could take a year, and would entail building over the railroad tracks that run beneath the hotel and pose engineering and security challenges.

“We have not given up on keeping them downtown,” said Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, whose district includes Lower Manhattan. “There’s more certainty downtown. Uptown, they need all kinds of approvals and zoning.”

Penn Station is the latest real estate frontier. Mr. Roth and Vornado, along with a second developer, the Related Companies, have proposed a $14 billion overhaul of the dowdy neighborhood. Their plans include the demolition of Madison Square Garden to make way for a new Pennsylvania Station, the conversion of the general post office on Eighth Avenue into an adjunct train station as well as a new Garden, and the development of office towers with a total of 6.3 million square feet.

A deal with Merrill would provide some financial security for a bid by Vornado and the Durst Organization for the development rights over the West Side railyards, three blocks west of the Hotel Pennsylvania. The Bloomberg administration has vigorously promoted the railyards project.

“We’d like to see Merrill stay in Lower Manhattan — which is clearly a better value for them and one of the fastest-growing business districts in the country,” said John Gallagher, a spokesman for Deputy Mayor Daniel L. Doctoroff. “However, it is critical that Merrill stay in New York City.”

Merrill has been actively looking at various options for a new headquarters for more than a year, though it has not discussed leaving the city. It has wanted the kind of huge trading floors that Goldman Sachs is building in its new headquarters on West Street, opposite ground zero, and enough space to bring all its employees under one roof.

Last week, Merrill asked for final offers from three contestants: Mr. Roth and Vornado; its current landlord, Brookfield Properties; and Mr. Silverstein, developing three towers at ground zero. With the possibility of Merrill’s departure seeming to grow more real, Governor Spitzer called Stanley O’Neal, Merrill Lynch’s chief executive, to make a personal appeal.

Brookfield submitted the least expensive plan, to expand the lower floors at 2 World Financial Center to accommodate the trading floors. But it would have required several years of construction and office relocation.

After months of resisting Merrill’s demands, Mr. Silverstein finally proposed selling a site at ground zero and reconfiguring the existing design. But it would not have allowed for the extra large trading floors.

Mr. Silverstein had insisted on what Merrill executives considered an especially high price — until last week, when he cut his price by nearly $400 million, a particularly large sum that late in the negotiations, according to three people involved in the talks.

If Merrill Lynch goes to Midtown, it would mark the third major investment bank after Goldman Sachs and JPMorgan Chase & Company, that could not come to terms with Mr. Silverstein.

It was only in June that Governor Spitzer, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and Mr. Silver were trumpeting a remarkable comeback at the former World Trade Center site and downtown generally. JPMorgan Chase had just announced that it would build a $2 billion headquarters near ground zero for its investment banking business. Both the new PATH station and the Freedom Tower, the tallest skyscraper at ground zero, were under construction.

Some downtown business executives and state officials are now concerned that Merrill’s departure would undercut the downtown resurgence. The bank would leave behind 2.5 million square feet of office space at the World Financial Center around the same time the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey would be trying to fill more expensive space at the 2.6 million-square-foot Freedom Tower and Mr. Silverstein would be looking for tenants for three other big towers planned for ground zero.

Barry Gosin, vice chairman of Newmark Knight Frank, was cautiously optimistic, however. He said the loss of a single institution would not reverse what has happened downtown. “It may slow down the leasing at the World Trade Center and the World Financial Center,” he said. “But all the things happening downtown will outweigh the impact. There’s a critical mass of firms.”
Old October 27th, 2007, 02:44 AM   #2866
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Who cares? That just means yet another supertall for Midtown NYC.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 03:25 AM   #2867
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

i think he might be posting good news for a change...because this certainly isn't bad news.
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 05:09 AM   #2868
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

i'm pretty sure he posted it to let everyone know that merril lynch move from downtown could put strain in finding tenants to fill up all the space they left behind.
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 05:45 AM   #2869
Ebola
BANNED

Yeah, but it's common knowledge that supertall office skyscrapers almost always require many years before they are fully occupied.

How can those four staircases be in the corners of the tower if the tower slightly tapers as it rises? Do they lean towards the core as they rise? Will there be any columns on an angle? This tower will be around longer than our great X100 grandchildren live.
Old October 27th, 2007, 06:02 AM   #2870
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

is that the freedom tower???? I remember reading on internet that the staircaises would be located in the corner of the tower. When the planes hit the WTC the emergency staircaises got destroyed, because they were in the center of the tower..

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
Old October 27th, 2007, 06:33 AM   #2871
Ebola
BANNED

Yeah, that's the FT's ground floor. The staircases in the old WTC were destroyed because there was nothing protecting them.

[IMG]http://i21.************/2ldfvup.gif[/IMG]
Old October 27th, 2007, 09:07 AM   #2872
jessemh431

Likes (Received): 86

the one on the bottom left looks like that famous building in Pittsburgh almost
jessemh431 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 10:09 AM   #2873
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

FT and WTC2 are the best so far..

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
Old October 27th, 2007, 03:04 PM   #2874
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

the floorplan reminds me alot on the old WTC towers
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 05:12 PM   #2875
BrooklynNYC

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
the floorplan reminds me alot on the old WTC towers
Yeah they are very similar but that is only at the top and bottom. At the middle the building in octagonal.
BrooklynNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #2876
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

For what reason are they constructing 2 centreal cores?
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 03:39 AM   #2877
Ebola
BANNED

Freedom Tower has one core, as far as I know. The older version had two cores, I think.
Old October 28th, 2007, 03:51 AM   #2878
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
Freedom Tower has one core, as far as I know. The older version had two cores, I think.
They are not, there will be a single core in this tower, the older version had twin cores above the last office floors, (a single core below) to accomidate the "lattice" and hat truss that was part of the "Diagrid" exterior skin.
Old October 28th, 2007, 02:40 PM   #2879
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by TICONLA1 View Post
They are not, there will be a single core in this tower, the older version had twin cores above the last office floors, (a single core below) to accomidate the "lattice" and hat truss that was part of the "Diagrid" exterior skin.
So which one will be the core in this pic: http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/5346/corejf2.jpg

They looks like two set of formworks.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 02:51 PM   #2880
Tag_one

Likes (Received): 6

both. The free space in the middle will provide access to the elevators, the stairs and the sanitary rooms (see the floor plan on the previous page)
Tag_one no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center