daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 11th, 2012, 11:47 PM   #29361
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
sorry to ask, what floor/height are we at?
Same as 6 weeks ago, 90th floor, 1140' or 347m.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2012, 12:01 AM   #29362
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10090

thanks otie, slowed down a bit.thats cool
Old January 12th, 2012, 12:42 AM   #29363
Mercenary

Likes (Received): 201

Why is it taking so long? I mean what is so special about the 90th floor that its taking an eternity to get to the 91st floor?
Mercenary no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 01:19 AM   #29364
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Hey folks, I have new pics

image hosted on flickr

World trade contruction site by serenitbee, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

One World Trade by serenitbee, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Freedom Tower by Marie-Joelle-Parent, on Flickr

And the PA cam at the end

Old January 12th, 2012, 01:35 AM   #29365
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
Why is it taking so long? I mean what is so special about the 90th floor that its taking an eternity to get to the 91st floor?
I wish we knew. Somethings up that's for sure...
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 01:58 AM   #29366
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

WTC.com hasn't updated since December but as of Jan. 8 the concrete floor slabs have made it up up the 82nd floor. Unless there's some kind of labor issue, I suspect they are bringing up the pours a bit before adding new floors.

Zaz965 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 04:46 AM   #29367
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk
WTC.com hasn't updated since December but as of Jan. 8 the concrete floor slabs have made it up up the 82nd floor. Unless there's some kind of labor issue, I suspect they are bringing up the pours a bit before adding new floors.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0o29O-5FYYA&version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0o29O-5FYYA&version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>">YouTube Link</a>
Dcm erectors is going out of business. a huge problem for #1,4 and the hub.

Dcm does the fabrication, erection, detailing, curtainwall (through solera), and the bulk of the tower crane rentals on site. i am not sure if their rebar subsidiary is involved in the project but id be surprised if they are not.

Last edited by thejacko5; January 12th, 2012 at 04:52 AM.
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 10:33 AM   #29368
NewYorker2009

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejacko5 View Post

Dcm does the fabrication, erection, detailing, curtainwall (through solera), and the bulk of the tower crane rentals on site. i am not sure if their rebar subsidiary is involved in the project but id be surprised if they are not.
Oh wonderful, just what we need another freaking delay as if there haven't been enough of them already. The Tower was looking perfect and now this crap happens, unbelievable. Well is all this confirmed? So what will this mean for the Tower, they'll have to find someone else obviously if DCM will soon be out of the picture.
NewYorker2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 12:56 PM   #29369
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:

Old January 12th, 2012, 01:35 PM   #29370
oli83

Likes (Received): 999

Quote:

What do you mean by "out of business"?? Are they bankrupt, or why do you think that they won't fulfill their contracts?
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 02:11 PM   #29371
Valkyre

Likes (Received): 86

Going out of business doesnt necessarily mean they will abandon any jobs they are currently under contract to complete.
Valkyre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 02:33 PM   #29372
Barsby
Arsenal4Life

Likes (Received): 41

what live cams do u guys look at for the progress? i just deleted one off my bookmarks accidentally, was ktv or something.....
Barsby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #29373
oli83

Likes (Received): 999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barsby View Post
what live cams do u guys look at for the progress? i just deleted one off my bookmarks accidentally, was ktv or something.....
Here you go.. the one you mentioned is probably the KPI TV cam (see below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiddle View Post
To put them in a list...

"Famous" HD Earthcam:
http://archives.earthcam.com/archive...gzrobotic1.jpg

"3WTC/Hub/2WTC" HD Earthcam:
http://archives.earthcam.com/archive...gzmpr288_4.jpg

"VSC/Memorial" HD Earthcam:
http://archives.earthcam.com/archive...mpr/gzmpr2.jpg

"WFC/1WTC/Memorial" HD Earthcam:
http://archives.earthcam.com/archive...gzmpr288_7.jpg

And of course the set of five KPI TV HD cams:
http://www.video-monitoring.com/cons...itv/silver.htm

Edit: I've played with the above URL's and found more views:

"Top of 1WTC" HD Earthcam:
http://archives.earthcam.com/archive...gzmpr288_3.jpg

"Top of 4WTC" HD Earthcam:
http://archives.earthcam.com/archive...gzmpr288_2.jpg

"4WTC" HD Earthcam:
http://archives.earthcam.com/archive...gzmpr288_8.jpg
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #29374
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

--- delete ---
Old January 12th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #29376
Aintree
Aintree

Likes (Received): 3

Fantastic pics lately guys, can't wait to see this beast for myself in a few days time. 1st time to NYC since 2003 so loads of changes to look at.
Old January 12th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #29377
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyre View Post
Going out of business doesnt necessarily mean they will abandon any jobs they are currently under contract to complete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oli83 View Post
What do you mean by "out of business"?? Are they bankrupt, or why do you think that they won't fulfill their contracts?
the word is bankrupt/out of cash to operate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
Oh wonderful, just what we need another freaking delay as if there haven't been enough of them already. The Tower was looking perfect and now this crap happens, unbelievable. Well is all this confirmed? So what will this mean for the Tower, they'll have to find someone else obviously if DCM will soon be out of the picture.
My guess is that work will be given to one of the other large erectors on a cost+ basis.

My knowledge is secondhand as i dont work for either Tishman or DCM, however, the writing is on the wall in the industry.

DCM has been unable to fulfill its union benefits payments, thats the biggest issue. Local 40 will/may have already shut the job down. I think they are 12 weeks behind.

I also understand that they have not paid their subcontractors on site.

I know that they have several very large extra work/change order claims to both buildings which the PA has balked at or is taking their sweet time paying, thus exacerbating the issue. (Ive heard of an extra welding claim of around $75-100mm in value)

I also have heard from several sources that they have layed off virtually their entire fabrication shop, 300 people, because the mills will not satisfy any more orders for material.

I spoke with a few Tishman guys at another project yesterday and they said that the problems are very deep and very bad, and that DCM is 'closing the doors' so to speak. (DCM was disqualified as an erector for this project last month for unknown reasons)

I really cant speculate beyond what I have heard, but its obviously tragic news.

I mentioned this in my post in the Gem Tower thread. DCM was removed from that project already and Cornell has been contracted to complete that tower. I know that at the Gem Tower, extell has been good with paying their bills, so it looks like the work at the trade center has infected the entire company....

Last edited by thejacko5; January 12th, 2012 at 08:39 PM.
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #29378
User_01

Likes (Received): 0

Screw Honkong, NY is the king of skyline!
User_01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 08:56 PM   #29379
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aintree View Post

Fantastic pics lately guys, can't wait to see this beast for myself in a few days time. 1st time to NYC since 2003 so loads of changes to look at.
Let me just say this, I spend half my year in NYC. I usually go to NYC every 2 months. And within 2 months there's a lot of change! haha

So 8 years? Yeah, the city will be much different than you remember haha, you're going to love lower manhattan! Completely new place.

How long will you be staying?
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 11:34 PM   #29380
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
the word is bankrupt/out of cash to operate.

My guess is that work will be given to one of the other large erectors on a cost+ basis.

My knowledge is secondhand as i dont work for either Tishman or DCM, however, the writing is on the wall in the industry.

DCM has been unable to fulfill its union benefits payments, thats the biggest issue. Local 40 will/may have already shut the job down. I think they are 12 weeks behind.

I also understand that they have not paid their subcontractors on site.

I know that they have several very large extra work/change order claims to both buildings which the PA has balked at or is taking their sweet time paying, thus exacerbating the issue. (Ive heard of an extra welding claim of around $75-100mm in value)

I also have heard from several sources that they have layed off virtually their entire fabrication shop, 300 people, because the mills will not satisfy any more orders for material.

I spoke with a few Tishman guys at another project yesterday and they said that the problems are very deep and very bad, and that DCM is 'closing the doors' so to speak. (DCM was disqualified as an erector for this project last month for unknown reasons)

I really cant speculate beyond what I have heard, but its obviously tragic news.

I mentioned this in my post in the Gem Tower thread. DCM was removed from that project already and Cornell has been contracted to complete that tower. I know that at the Gem Tower, extell has been good with paying their bills, so it looks like the work at the trade center has infected the entire company....
Thanks for the insights. Kinda sad parrellels with this tower and the original Twins. Koch Construction (the contractor for the original twins) also had major financial problems when they built the twins. They severely underbid, ran out of money, and had to rely on the PA to make their payrolls and keep construction going. After the twins were built they got bought up by another company.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center