daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 13th, 2012, 12:21 AM   #29381
Kimiwind1184
Speed Metal God

Likes (Received): 1149

The last photo is real crazy!!!

Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2012, 12:38 AM   #29382
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
Thanks for the insights. Kinda sad parrellels with this tower and the original Twins. Koch Construction (the contractor for the original twins) also had major financial problems when they built the twins. They severely underbid, ran out of money, and had to rely on the PA to make their payrolls and keep construction going. After the twins were built they got bought up by another company.
Yeah, when I first heard I was really surprised given the size of DCM (they had done stuff like Time Warner Center/New York Times/Goldman Sachs)

I can't imagine having almost 500 ironworkers worth of payroll each week from a cash flow standpoint.

I have heard some of those stories. not sure if this occured then, but koch is now part of skanska as Skanska Koch. They will be doing the Transportation Hub and the WTC1 roof/spire.

They did New Meadowlands and they also do a lot of bridge work in the area (primarily bridge work now as they fall under Skanska's civil division).
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 02:01 AM   #29383
Davidsam52

Likes (Received): 160

Jacko5, what is your source for this information? If indeed true, then this does spell trouble, big time, at least in the short term.
Davidsam52 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 02:16 AM   #29384
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Read.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 02:22 AM   #29385
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidsam52 View Post
Jacko5, what is your source for this information? If indeed true, then this does spell trouble, big time, at least in the short term.
I work in the same field as DCM, they are a direct, albeit larger, competitor.

The information regarding the Gem Tower/their situation with benefits/shop layoffs came from a general superintendent speaking with Local 40 business agents (who come to know everything through their own sources and are fairly reliable).

The Gem Tower situation is a fact, DCM was removed from the project (a Tishman project).

Normally, I take anything I hear with a grain of salt unless i get the information directly. But having heard the same thing from other sources, and people at Tishman who I am dealing with (Tishman is the construction manager for virtually everything downtown), I believe it. They were very concerned.

As far as DCM being disqualified from a project I am directly involved with, I know their disqualification to be fact, first hand, as we were requested by Tishman to submit a price to the fabricator for installation.
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 02:49 AM   #29386
マイルズ

Likes (Received): 8

I've been looking forward to the topping out of this tower but now I'm thinking this is a waste of time since the DCM is going out of business. I'm afraid that by now the tower won't be erected until the end of 2012 as opposed to april. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
マイルズ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 03:03 AM   #29387
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejacko5 View Post
the word is bankrupt/out of cash to operate.

My guess is that work will be given to one of the other large erectors on a cost+ basis.

My knowledge is secondhand as i dont work for either Tishman or DCM, however, the writing is on the wall in the industry.

DCM has been unable to fulfill its union benefits payments, thats the biggest issue. Local 40 will/may have already shut the job down. I think they are 12 weeks behind.

I also understand that they have not paid their subcontractors on site.

I know that they have several very large extra work/change order claims to both buildings which the PA has balked at or is taking their sweet time paying, thus exacerbating the issue. (Ive heard of an extra welding claim of around $75-100mm in value)

I also have heard from several sources that they have layed off virtually their entire fabrication shop, 300 people, because the mills will not satisfy any more orders for material.

I spoke with a few Tishman guys at another project yesterday and they said that the problems are very deep and very bad, and that DCM is 'closing the doors' so to speak. (DCM was disqualified as an erector for this project last month for unknown reasons)

I really cant speculate beyond what I have heard, but its obviously tragic news.

I mentioned this in my post in the Gem Tower thread. DCM was removed from that project already and Cornell has been contracted to complete that tower. I know that at the Gem Tower, extell has been good with paying their bills, so it looks like the work at the trade center has infected the entire company....
Ugh. A similar thing happened with the specialty steel fabricator that was pruducing those unique panels for the Barclays Center Arena. The contractor and their insurance company stumped up the money to reopen the shop. I can't imagine such a happy ending here.

Zaz965 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 04:57 AM   #29388
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

If WTC1 and 4 are having economic problems now, I wouldn't count on seeing Towers 2 and 3 built anytime soon.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 06:51 AM   #29389
Arawooho

Likes (Received): 68

Both tower 2 and 3 are under construction, but there is a chance they could be placed on hold for a while...
Anayway, I love walking past 6th ave everyday and looking downtown at this amazing tower being built.
Arawooho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 07:26 AM   #29390
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

If DCM is out, the PA will just get a new contractor in. But it will mean more delays. So much for topping out in 1Q.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 07:32 AM   #29391
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
If WTC1 and 4 are having economic problems now, I wouldn't count on seeing Towers 2 and 3 built anytime soon.
Tower 4 isn't having any problems. The PA and Silverstein sold their Liberty Bonds to finance the entire project. There was a little scare with some delays in doing the sale. But it's passed. T4 is looking like it'll be finished before 1WTC now.

T3 has insurance money from the 9/11 attack, and a commitment from various government sectors to help finance it once Silverstein gets an anchor tenant.

T2 is looking like the long shot at the moment. And 1WTC will be finished too, it's just looking like it may take a little longer.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 08:37 AM   #29392
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2570

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
Why is it this image reminds me of HK!

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 08:43 AM   #29393
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2570

Come to think of it, ESB was completed during the worst of times in The US and perhaps the world.

Hopefully 1WTC will push through.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 12:10 PM   #29394
oli83

Likes (Received): 999

from wtc.com

Image credit: Joe Woolhead
Courtesy of: Silverstein Properties
Taken: January 04, 2012

oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 12:39 PM   #29395
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manila-X View Post
Come to think of it, ESB was completed during the worst of times in The US and perhaps the world.

Hopefully 1WTC will push through.
Lesson behind the facts: Work hard when is the worst and you'll be the greatest..
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #29396
bxitln

Likes (Received): 24

Hi everyone. This is my first post on this forum. I found this site because someone had linked to one of my photos of 1WTC. I'm glad you all enjoyed it!! I have been trying to follow the daily progress of the WTC construction, but could never find a site with good info, and now here it is. I can see 1WTC from my office in midtown, but it's hard to tell exactly what floor it's up to. I had noticed in the past few weeks that it seemed that no new floors were being added. I just chalked that up to the holidays and a slower construction pace. Wikipedia (one of my sources of info...probably not the best) has been adding a floor a week to the total and is now up to 94, but that doesn't seem correct. I'm glad I can now come here to get some better updates.

I have attached another picture I took of 1WTC with 7WTC. From this angle, you can almost imagine a completed 1WTC (minus the construction elevator of course). I would love for you all to come check out some more of my Lower Manhattan photographs at http://www.flickr.com/photos/danferr...7628832078423/

Thanks everyone!!

image hosted on flickr

Lower Manhattan November 2011 (57) by Dan10956, on Flickr

www.flickr.com/photos/danferrara
bxitln no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #29397
the man from k-town
Frankfurt-Lover <3

Likes (Received): 6773

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

from skyscraperpage.com
Old January 13th, 2012, 08:04 PM   #29398
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

^Crediting is needed, first one was taken by TylerTierney, the following ones by MattAlpaugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxitln View Post
Hi everyone. This is my first post on this forum. I found this site because someone had linked to one of my photos of 1WTC. I'm glad you all enjoyed it!! I have been trying to follow the daily progress of the WTC construction, but could never find a site with good info, and now here it is. I can see 1WTC from my office in midtown, but it's hard to tell exactly what floor it's up to. I had noticed in the past few weeks that it seemed that no new floors were being added. I just chalked that up to the holidays and a slower construction pace. Wikipedia (one of my sources of info...probably not the best) has been adding a floor a week to the total and is now up to 94, but that doesn't seem correct. I'm glad I can now come here to get some better updates.

I have attached another picture I took of 1WTC with 7WTC. From this angle, you can almost imagine a completed 1WTC (minus the construction elevator of course). I would love for you all to come check out some more of my Lower Manhattan photographs at http://www.flickr.com/photos/danferr...7628832078423/

Thanks everyone!!
Welcome Dan! Great collection there!
Tower One is as high as it was about 6 weeks ago, no steel erection since then, 90th floor, 1140' above street level. This diagram from December 3 should help:

image hosted on flickr

Larger version

Wikipedia is not a reliable source of information, you can trust either Port Authority website or LowerManhattan.info; but let me assure you that the best sites for information is SkyscraperCity, Skyscraperpage or WiredNewYork.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #29399
Aintree
Aintree

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rose1 View Post
Let me just say this, I spend half my year in NYC. I usually go to NYC every 2 months. And within 2 months there's a lot of change! haha

So 8 years? Yeah, the city will be much different than you remember haha, you're going to love lower manhattan! Completely new place.

How long will you be staying?
Staying for 5 days so plenty of time to soak up the new city.
Old January 13th, 2012, 08:59 PM   #29400
Jex7844
La Défenseholic

Likes (Received): 2916

Great diagram Otie .

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center