daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 16th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #29461
raider12

Likes (Received): 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdmd10 View Post
Several, actually. Fortunately I don't expect them to be developed in our lifetime.
i saw on a NY documentary that the bedrock in that area differs from Midtown and Lower Manhattan and it will not support the taller structures you find in those two areas.............
raider12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2012, 10:22 PM   #29462
MontanaGuy

Likes (Received): 49

I thought the gap in that photo between the two large groups of skyscrapers must have been taken from a position that makes it appear much wider than it actually is. I've driven into Manhattan from several directions and flown by it on the way to La Guardia and don't remember it that way. Of course I'm not a New Yorker so those who actually live there would know much better than I would. In any case 1WTC is sure noticeable these days as it towers above the surrounding buildings.
MontanaGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 11:46 PM   #29463
isdmd10

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider12 View Post
i saw on a NY documentary that the bedrock in that area differs from Midtown and Lower Manhattan and it will not support the taller structures you find in those two areas.............
True. It's referred to as Manhattan Schist and it's close to the surface in Midtown and LM making it easier to build up on which is why those neighborhoods have produced a density of skyscrapers. It's clearly the historical reason and while it would be possible to build a supertall in the village or other downtown neighborhoods construction methods and costs are still a factor.
isdmd10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 11:47 PM   #29464
zapor1

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider12 View Post
That's just during the old times, now with the technology, anything can happen. But I think there's also zoning laws that prevent them from building. And anything tall that usually gets proposed in the area gets lots of scrutiny.
zapor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 01:19 AM   #29465
Sarcasticity
Lost in the Big Apple

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I thought the gap in that photo between the two large groups of skyscrapers must have been taken from a position that makes it appear much wider than it actually is. I've driven into Manhattan from several directions and flown by it on the way to La Guardia and don't remember it that way. Of course I'm not a New Yorker so those who actually live there would know much better than I would. In any case 1WTC is sure noticeable these days as it towers above the surrounding buildings.
Yeah, it's definitely just the angle. It's not that wide, in fact, it's not even that far to walk from Chelsea (at the end of Midtown) to dowtown as the picture suggests

Filipino working in NYC
Sarcasticity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 02:39 AM   #29466
Draegen
I LIKE SKYSCRAPERS

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasticity View Post
Yeah, it's definitely just the angle. It's not that wide, in fact, it's not even that far to walk from Chelsea (at the end of Midtown) to dowtown as the picture suggests
Yep, I've walked from Central Park to the 1WTC before, it takes awhile but its possible.
Draegen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 03:11 AM   #29467
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

Does anyone have a good guess as to when the glass cladding will reach roof height?

Also they'd better pick up the pace with new steel if they want to top out in April. The glass is starting to catch up.
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 03:18 AM   #29468
oilmanjr

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasticity

Maybe its just me but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be possible to make the ''gap'' appear larger than it actually is by adjusting the angle, only smaller.
Old January 17th, 2012, 03:42 AM   #29469
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK999 View Post
That "gap" between Downtown and Mitdown has one of the most beautiful and urban neighborhoods in the city. I sincerely hope no tall skyscrapers will rise there in the near future, so that special flair can be preserved.
Apparently the ground isn't good enough for supporting tall buildings there, so there won't be any skyscrapers in that area.
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 04:18 AM   #29470
rickydavisfan21
McSAME and FAILIN

Likes (Received): 539

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendycfc View Post
just looks like 2 seperate cities from this view! i always thought they were lots of reasonably talls buildings between the ESB and 1WTC...
That "Gap" is all 12-20 story buildings with a few 3-12 story buildings sprinkled in, and a few more 1-2 story buildngs very lightly sprinkled in. Its still an urban oasis.
rickydavisfan21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 05:11 AM   #29471
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Apparently the ground isn't good enough for supporting tall buildings there, so there won't be any skyscrapers in that area.
That's not true. It's not as good as the ground in midtown/downtown, but it's not like it's impossible to build there. The barriers are economic/political.
Old January 17th, 2012, 05:21 AM   #29472
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
That's not true. It's not as good as the ground in midtown/downtown, but it's not like it's impossible to build there. The barriers are economic/political.
The main reason seems to be that the area in the middle is very low-rise historic buildings. I don't fully go for the whole "soil" thing either. Trump built his building there, and it's significantly taller than everything around it, so it shows how high they can actually build.
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 06:50 AM   #29473
patrick989

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rose1 View Post
The main reason seems to be that the area in the middle is very low-rise historic buildings. I don't fully go for the whole "soil" thing either. Trump built his building there, and it's significantly taller than everything around it, so it shows how high they can actually build.
And that building is an eyesore in this neighborhood, 2 blocks away from me. The neighborhood fought it, but of course big money corporate greed always wins in this twisted society we live in.
patrick989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 07:16 AM   #29474
Philly Bud
City Of Brotherly Love

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
The solid bedrock of Manhattan comes near the surface in the lower part of the island, around Wall Street and the WTC, and then resurfaces in "Midtown" around the area of the ESB and Times Square and Rockefeller Center. In between these neighborhoods are the historic residential districts including Chinatown, Little Italy, the Lower East Side, Soho, Tribeca, Greenwich Village and Chelsea. These places do have some apartment buildings 20, or 25 stories tall ... but in Manhattan that is insignificant.
Old January 17th, 2012, 07:32 AM   #29475
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick989 View Post
And that building is an eyesore in this neighborhood, 2 blocks away from me. The neighborhood fought it, but of course big money corporate greed always wins in this twisted society we live in.
Maybe for the skyline of the nieghborhood, but I think it helps the area a lot, it's probably the nastiest area of SoHo where they put the building, so it's good some money was drawn into the area.
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 08:39 AM   #29476
patrick989

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Maybe for the skyline of the nieghborhood, but I think it helps the area a lot, it's probably the nastiest area of SoHo where they put the building, so it's good some money was drawn into the area.
Oh yeah, we're all reaping the rewards of Trump SoHo.

And you might like to come down to this part of SoHo and see how "nasty" it is before you make ignorant comments.
patrick989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 09:29 AM   #29477
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1031

Quote:
This is a joke post, right?
Old January 17th, 2012, 10:03 AM   #29478
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

image hosted on flickr

8 Spruce - 1WTC by Joel Raskin, on Flickr
Old January 17th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #29479
mariaz
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

the one by frank genry look damn tall and thin!
mariaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 01:52 PM   #29480
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Hey folks, to ease the frustration of the progress lately I have more new pics But first I have got a small question, is it even possible to top out the cladding while the spire is still being constructed? Or do they have to wait with the final one or two rows until the spire is completed?

image hosted on flickr

500 weeks by chris langston photography, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Freedom tower reflection in museum by hjkaufmann, on Flickr

And the PA cam at the end

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center