daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 27th, 2012, 02:27 AM   #29661
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick989 View Post
well, no, unless you think it's aesthetically pleasing to put see-through glass on top of a concrete bunker.
I meant something along the lines of reflective glass or something, but whatever.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2012, 04:04 AM   #29662
alan88

Likes (Received): 22

A good day today as others have noted, 13 trucks worth of steel deleivered and lifted up to deck. This is the core & infill steel for 90th floor and they got 6 core columns up. They need to continue shaking out steel on work deck and probably 6 more working days till next tier for 91/92 starts going up. I say working days because tommorow it is suppossed to rain and then saturday the winds are suppossed to be above 30mph so cranes can't work. Patience folks.
alan88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 06:32 AM   #29663
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2571

I do hope that all WTC projects get completed especially the 1 WTC. The project just looks so bad ass!

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 06:36 AM   #29664
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan88 View Post
A good day today as others have noted, 13 trucks worth of steel deleivered and lifted up to deck. This is the core & infill steel for 90th floor and they got 6 core columns up. They need to continue shaking out steel on work deck and probably 6 more working days till next tier for 91/92 starts going up. I say working days because tommorow it is suppossed to rain and then saturday the winds are suppossed to be above 30mph so cranes can't work. Patience folks.
On SSP, post 19510 of the 1WTC thread, it looks to me the new steel columns are past the height for the 91st floor already.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 07:24 AM   #29665
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

The NY law firm Chadbourne is relocating here, and two-thirds of 1 WTC are now leased.

Zaz965 liked this post
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 08:08 AM   #29666
patrick989

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
I meant something along the lines of reflective glass or something, but whatever.
Well I don't think the base of 4 WTC is going to be reflective, at least from the renders I've seen.
patrick989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 12:10 PM   #29667
oli83

Likes (Received): 999

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/27/ny...-law-firm.html

Trade Tower Is Set to Add Prime Tenant, a Law Firm

By CHARLES V. BAGLI
Published: January 26, 2012

Chadbourne & Parke, a 110-year-old law firm, is close to a deal to move to the 1,776-foot skyscraper under construction at ground zero, from its headquarters at Rockefeller Center.

If the deal is completed, it would represent a return to Chadbourne’s roots in Lower Manhattan after a 40-year sojourn in Midtown. It would also assist in the redemption of a tower that was once reviled for its design and dismissed as a “white elephant.”

Chadbourne would be the second blue-chip tenant in the past year to take space in the tower, known as 1 World Trade Center. Two-thirds of its three million square feet of office space will now be accounted for before the building reaches its full height sometime this summer. It will be the first tower to be rebuilt on the 16-acre trade center site after the terrorist attack in 2001.

“It’s a thrill now to come down the West Side Highway and see 1 World Trade Center as a beacon,” said Elizabeth H. Berger, president of the Downtown-Lower Manhattan Association. “The Lower Manhattan skyline is coming back. This is about the concentration of new, green, high-tech commercial space in the middle of what is now an exciting live-work community.”

In light of the pending deal, it is perhaps fitting that Chadbourne’s roster of lawyers includes former Gov. George E. Pataki. Mr. Pataki nicknamed 1 World Trade Center the Freedom Tower and pushed to see it built, despite a whirl of criticism.

Andrew Blum, a spokesman for Chadbourne, declined to comment, as did the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which is erecting the tower with its partner, the Durst Organization. But real estate executives and officials who have been briefed on the deal expect the law firm to sign a lease soon.

After years of delays, missteps and political squabbling, the rebuilding of the trade center is moving forward. Three office buildings are under construction, as well as a $3.2 billion transit hub. The national memorial, which covers half of the site, opened in September.

The Port Authority recently curtailed work on the Sept. 11 museum in a bitter dispute with the memorial foundation over responsibility for tens of millions of dollars in construction costs. At the same time, the Port Authority is involved in another dispute with the Bloomberg administration over the cost of security at the trade center site. City officials, the foundation and Patrick J. Foye, executive director of the Port Authority, are in negotiations to resolve both issues.

Still, the turnaround for 1 World Trade Center has been remarkable. The building itself will cost more than $3 billion, in part because of a base that will be reinforced with a special steel and concrete. The state and federal governments promised to rent space in the tower, at a time when many companies were wary of moving there.

Vantone, a Chinese real estate firm, rented 200,000 square feet in 2009, and the federal government plans to lease 300,000 square feet. And in a head-turning decision in May, Condé Nast Publications, publisher of Vanity Fair, The New Yorker and Architectural Digest, agreed to move its headquarters to 1 World Trade Center from Times Square. The company, which plans to move in 2014, has since taken additional space, bringing the total to 1.185 million square feet on 25 floors.

Rents at 1 World Trade Center are substantially lower than in comparable Midtown spaces. Officials have also provided tax breaks and other incentives to lure tenants.

At the time of the Condé Nast announcement, Chadbourne had been looking for a new home in both Midtown and downtown. The law firm initially considered moving to a proposed office tower in Midtown. Many of the partners at Chadbourne, who live on the Upper East Side or commute to Midtown from Connecticut or Westchester County, were reluctant to make the longer trek downtown, according to a lawyer at the firm. But other partners asserted that the firm would benefit from the lower rents and the move to the high-profile tower.

“The guys at Chadbourne are used to walking to Rockefeller Center from the Upper East Side and Grand Central,” said one member of the firm, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the matter. “I said we could get black cars for all these guys and still come out ahead.”
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 03:29 PM   #29668
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Pure awesomeness From that articles it sounds like 1WTC would be the perfect office space, prestigeous, modern yet cheaper than space in midtown. I expect to see the decision to continue tower 3 soon

Zaz965 liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 03:36 PM   #29669
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

In relevance to the construction going on right now, does anyone know if it is windier when they pass the height of the surrounding buildings? I know it seems like common wisdom, but I also often hear of the skyscraper "channeling effect" which makes winds faster. Also, if it is less windy with skyscrapers around it, shouldn't we build, say, 10 supertalls in a big cluster! That way we can build each faster than the last! Just saying haha
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #29670
msl1
msl

Likes (Received): 130

Living in New York, its been very exciting to see the tower rise.

I didn't live in New York when the previous incarnation of the WTC stood, so I have no expectations of how large 1WTC would be and where in Manhattan it stands. It is a strange site in relation to its surroundings in Manhattan - I always expect it to be further downtown than it actually is. If I start looking for it, my eyes automatically shift to the end of Manhattan and then work their way up until I find it.

But the thing that has really struck me is how massive this building is. Now its almost impossible to miss. Its started poking its head over buildings - even over tall buildings, I can be standing at street level and see the cranes appearing over rooftops.

However, cycling through Soho, turning my head left, you have an almost unobstructed view of the tower, a massive beast at the end of the street. Impossible to miss, awe-inspiring from its sheer size. And its not even finished yet.
msl1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #29671
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rose1 View Post
In relevance to the construction going on right now, does anyone know if it is windier when they pass the height of the surrounding buildings? I know it seems like common wisdom, but I also often hear of the skyscraper "channeling effect" which makes winds faster. Also, if it is less windy with skyscrapers around it, shouldn't we build, say, 10 supertalls in a big cluster! That way we can build each faster than the last! Just saying haha
This is a very interesting question and I'd love to get an answer on it from somebody with engineering skills. In my amateurish opinion it all depends on the positioning of the buildings arround the building you're talking about. I made a small pic to show what I mean. In the first model the wind load is smaller than normal because the surrounding buildings block the wind from applying a direct load on the building we're speaking about. In the second model the wind load is larger than normal because the wind is able to blow directly on to the building made faster by the channeling effect

[IMG]http://i40.************/jk94sx.png[/IMG]

Important note: All of this is only speculation of a non-engineer so anybody who knows more about this stuff please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old January 27th, 2012, 04:23 PM   #29672
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

Thanks for the article olie! To anyone interested, Chadbourne and Parke occupy about 300,000 square feet at Rockefeller Center, so I'd imagine they take a similar amount of space here at 1 WTC.

I agree Kanto, I expect 3 WTC to get a tenant soon.
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 06:20 PM   #29673
spectre000

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
Thanks for the article olie! To anyone interested, Chadbourne and Parke occupy about 300,000 square feet at Rockefeller Center, so I'd imagine they take a similar amount of space here at 1 WTC.

I agree Kanto, I expect 3 WTC to get a tenant soon.
Fantastic news!
Old January 27th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #29674
Mercenary

Likes (Received): 201

What about 2 WTC?

I much rather have 2 WTC build than 3 WTC.
Mercenary no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #29675
spectre000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
What about 2 WTC?

I much rather have 2 WTC build than 3 WTC.
3WTC is cheaper to build than 2WTC (by about a quarter of a billion dollars). That's the reason their going ahead with that one over the other.
Old January 28th, 2012, 12:44 AM   #29676
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

image hosted on flickr

Freedom Tower by rasquire, on Flickr
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2012, 01:50 AM   #29677
NYBOY1975
BANNED

Likes (Received): 95

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYBDl84AbLo
NYBOY1975 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2012, 05:15 AM   #29678
gothamaniac

Likes (Received): 4

thanks for this - love the views across jamaica bay!
gothamaniac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2012, 09:50 AM   #29679
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
This is a very interesting question and I'd love to get an answer on it from somebody with engineering skills. In my amateurish opinion it all depends on the positioning of the buildings arround the building you're talking about. I made a small pic to show what I mean. In the first model the wind load is smaller than normal because the surrounding buildings block the wind from applying a direct load on the building we're speaking about. In the second model the wind load is larger than normal because the wind is able to blow directly on to the building made faster by the channeling effect

[IMG]http://i40.************/jk94sx.png[/IMG]

Important note: All of this is only speculation of a non-engineer so anybody who knows more about this stuff please correct me if I'm wrong.
I was a balloon handler in the Macy's parade twice. The intersections were quite dicey due to the channelling effect Kanto describes here. Late November is quite breezy in NYC. The wind can't go thru the buildings, so it must go around them. I believe it accelerates some as more air is forced thru a narrow space.
Old January 28th, 2012, 10:59 AM   #29680
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Hey folks, I have new pics

image hosted on flickr

2012-01-26 at 19-18-29 by tarashnat, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

2012-01-26 at 19-17-16 by tarashnat, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

2012-01-26 at 19-18-07 by tarashnat, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

2012-01-26 at 19-21-19 by tarashnat, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

2012-01-26 at 19-13-42 by tarashnat, on Flickr

And the PA cam at the end

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center