daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 2nd, 2012, 04:31 PM   #29821
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Its getting ridiculous and most of the $$$ are funneled into this project which is starting to become a Boondoggle. Support for the project has taken everytime theres a hike , and I think it will reach a point in the not to distant future where people will start losing there jobs and if the project isn't finished by 2016 then all work should stop. Theres a backlog of 15 Billion in Road , Port , PATH , and Airport improvements the PA has said they will do with each hike but nothing gets done and more $$$ are pumped into this project. Its not fair to the 600,000 daily users of the PA facilities , were paying for Improvements were never going to see and for a project that has gone way over budget. Finding tenants for this project has been hard , its because no one wants to work down there , there scared.... Hench why you still see companies moving or expanding across the river in Jersey City or in Midtown...but not into Lower Manhattan. I'm not a hater on this project , but its starting to hurt us working class commuters and the freight industry in this region. I'm probably going to get grilled for this by people not from this region , but most of the people from this region share my concern and thoughts. The Project in my opinion has also passed the cost to benefit price....its no longer worth it...the concept is fine , the costs are not.
+ 1

Of course, this probably could have been built within budget. But there is no accountability so there is no incentive to hold the line on costs.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2012, 04:47 PM   #29822
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Its getting ridiculous and most of the $$$ are funneled into this project which is starting to become a Boondoggle. Support for the project has taken everytime theres a hike , and I think it will reach a point in the not to distant future where people will start losing there jobs and if the project isn't finished by 2016 then all work should stop. Theres a backlog of 15 Billion in Road , Port , PATH , and Airport improvements the PA has said they will do with each hike but nothing gets done and more $$$ are pumped into this project. Its not fair to the 600,000 daily users of the PA facilities , were paying for Improvements were never going to see and for a project that has gone way over budget. Finding tenants for this project has been hard , its because no one wants to work down there , there scared.... Hench why you still see companies moving or expanding across the river in Jersey City or in Midtown...but not into Lower Manhattan. I'm not a hater on this project , but its starting to hurt us working class commuters and the freight industry in this region. I'm probably going to get grilled for this by people not from this region , but most of the people from this region share my concern and thoughts. The Project in my opinion has also passed the cost to benefit price....its no longer worth it...the concept is fine , the costs are not.
Good thing your not in a decision making position.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 05:23 PM   #29823
Valkyre

Likes (Received): 99

The spire is amazing in my opinion. Why? Because it is not the "typical" spire many towers have. It is not the kind of spire the ESB has or the old Tower 1 had. It doesnt look like an antenna. It is massive, not just in a matter of height but also bulk. It is a big fat lovely spire that actually gives the 1WTC a distinguished character, something to differentiate it from a simple conventional skyscraper.

At least in my opinion. And the fact that it will be painted white will make the contrast with the facade something beautiful to look at.
Valkyre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 05:37 PM   #29824
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3547

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
You like to repeat yourself, and I think you should accept it. What does it matter if you 'keept sayin it' when it is futile?

Should haves, Could haves, etc...are a major waste of time at this point. It is being built, everyone should just get over it. Try to find something you like in the tower and stop complaining about the tower, because there is no turning back the design now.
I like the building itself very much. In fact all the new WTC buildings are masterpieces in my opinion, especially 1WTC and 2WTC, but I just don't like the spire and the ring on top of 1WTC cause in my opinion the spire is oversized and for me it kinda ruins the purity of the building's geometrical shapes

Zaz965 liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 06:05 PM   #29825
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

This building is full with octagons and triangles, the spire is without doubt the element that has the most of it with the use of octagonal antiprisms

Last edited by Otie; February 2nd, 2012 at 06:13 PM.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 07:29 PM   #29826
FlyFish

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
so youre saying all the Asian towers with large spires shouldn't count either?
If they are glorified antannae they shouild NOT count. There is a thread somewhere else that discussed this briefly.
FlyFish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 07:41 PM   #29827
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
This building is full with octagons and triangles, the spire is without doubt the element that has the most of it with the use of octagonal antiprisms

Wow, Childs surely does love geometrical shapes. Though I still don't like the spire because from distance it looks to be round

Btw, I have new pics

image hosted on flickr

P1040378 by nicoza1993, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

freedom tower by RunningTractor, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_1663 by kekky64, on Flickr

And the PA cam at the end

Zaz965 liked this post
Old February 2nd, 2012, 08:54 PM   #29828
pnapp1
Die-Hard New Yorker!

Likes (Received): 353

Great progress today! Lots of floor beams installed. It's about time!

Image via Earthcam:http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/worldtradecenter/
pnapp1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:13 PM   #29829
Otie
Researcher

Finally!! Next is metal deck and then perimeter columns!
Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:22 PM   #29830
agliati2005
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

New York must be the best city in the world, I really love how this proyect looks.
Congratulations to all new yorkers!
agliati2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:24 PM   #29831
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

I'm confused. When late last week we saw beams going up did they jump floors? Or are we still on the same floors we now have 6 or 7 weeks on?
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:30 PM   #29832
unlinked
Friends, Romans and ...

Likes (Received): 11

PA quarterly report is due any day now. Last issued October 25, 2011
unlinked no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:48 PM   #29833
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
I'm confused. When late last week we saw beams going up did they jump floors? Or are we still on the same floors we now have 6 or 7 weeks on?
Yes, there was a jump of 1 floor a few days ago (we're now talking about the large floors and this one is like 1.5x of the normal office floor so it's a little smaller jump than when it jumped 2 normal office floors) but so far this jump is only in core columns. As to why sometimes the core collumns go up first and sometimes the perimeter columns go up first I really dunno though somebody with engineering skills or better understanding of the construction methods used in 1WTC could probably answer that
Old February 2nd, 2012, 10:37 PM   #29834
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5174

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
Some core columns did go up, and took us to at least the height of floor 91. But they aren't building the actual floors for it yet.

Right now we're seeing floor 90 being built out.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 10:51 PM   #29835
Andrejavus

Likes (Received): 0

Looks better than what I was expecting
Andrejavus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:06 PM   #29836
DarkShadows1966
Construction Updater

Likes (Received): 460

Almost close to topping out.

One question: When they get to installing the spire, are they gonna lift the pieces by helicopter or with the cranes?

------------------------------------------------------
ROCK ME AMADEUS -Falco
Vote here: https://goo.gl/CbXQB7
DarkShadows1966 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:09 PM   #29837
Otie
Researcher

Everything will be lifted by the cranes, only the small pieces will get up there through the east hoist elevator.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:47 PM   #29838
Chapelo

Likes (Received): 688

View from the top looking south from WTCProgress twitter

https://twitter.com/#!/WTCProgress

Just like the view I had on the 99th floor of the North Tower.
Chapelo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 12:22 AM   #29839
Kanto
Roof height crusader

What a view

Zaz965 liked this post
Old February 3rd, 2012, 12:35 AM   #29840
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapelo View Post
View from the top looking south from WTCProgress twitter
Wow, amazing! That reminds me, does anyone know what the exact height of the observation deck will be?
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center