daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 19th, 2012, 12:15 PM   #30201
bgdrewsif

Likes (Received): 4

BTW loving the roof renders... would be intrigued to see more renders from inside the top... the one below the communications ring looking up the stairs is intriguing to see...
bgdrewsif no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #30202
ParadiseLost

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgdrewsif View Post
LOL... a suburb of what? Tucson? Flagstaff? Well I suppose there is only 4.5 hours to Vegas, 6.5 hours to LA, 8.5 hours to Albuquerque... Here Glendale, Scottsdale, and Avondale qualify as 'suburbs'...

[keep in mind that there are 4.2 million here in the Valley of the Sun and there is 2 hours of empty desert between the Phoenix metro area and Tucson, the next city of significance south of here (with about 1 million in its metro area)...]
I think that is his point, Phoenix is a giant suburb without a city. And you wouldn't pay 10 cents for parking because it is subsidized. Not so in Manhattan, no ridiculous parking requirements.
ParadiseLost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #30203
Densetsu
Non-registered User!

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsg99 View Post
[IMG]image hosted on flickr

Took this about two weeks before Christmas 2011 - hence the seasonal lighting!
Enjoy!!
Wow this is so good!
Densetsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 04:46 PM   #30204
unmistakable

Likes (Received): 1

precisely, world of sexy "toys"
unmistakable no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #30205
DarthVaper77

Likes (Received): 2

That 'marshmallow ring' could've been an awesome restaurant, but customers would probably all get brain cancer, from the microwave dishes--so it goes.
DarthVaper77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 07:41 PM   #30206
NYBOY1975
BANNED

Likes (Received): 95

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5194949...in/photostream

NYBOY1975 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 07:55 PM   #30207
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

[QUOTE=Informative ]Nope, not by a long shot. You can guess the topping out of the Roof, by looking at the 4 Triangles on the side of the Building. They all have to go to a direct point, so there's still a long way to go until it reaches roof height anyway.

I wouldn't say a long way to go about another 5 more jumps to go or 179 feet to go.
Old February 19th, 2012, 10:06 PM   #30208
marsh

Likes (Received): 25

Not too much farther! Its definately getting closer!
marsh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 10:08 PM   #30209
marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVaper77 View Post
That 'marshmallow ring' could've been an awesome restaurant, but customers would probably all get brain cancer, from the microwave dishes--so it goes.

I still think after the building opens and starts bringing in major tourist dollars, from people visiting the observation deck and the site in general, that they might change their minds and put a restaurant up at the top of the tower. I think it would easily turn a profit given how many people are sure to be visiting the new tower!
Old February 19th, 2012, 10:44 PM   #30210
Informative

Likes (Received): 69

[QUOTE=yankee fan for life;88697505]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informative
Nope, not by a long shot. You can guess the topping out of the Roof, by looking at the 4 Triangles on the side of the Building. They all have to go to a direct point, so there's still a long way to go until it reaches roof height anyway.

I wouldn't say a long way to go about another 5 more jumps to go or 179 feet to go.
But if you copy any image of the WTC the Triangles on the side have to come to an exact point. , which shows there's still fair bit more.
Informative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #30211
bgdrewsif

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh View Post
I still think after the building opens and starts bringing in major tourist dollars, from people visiting the observation deck and the site in general, that they might change their minds and put a restaurant up at the top of the tower. I think it would easily turn a profit given how many people are sure to be visiting the new tower!
I agree, the original Windows on the World was apparently the most profitable restaurant in the entire United States during its final year of operation prior to 9/11... I am shocked someone has not already set up a restaurant lease in the new WTC... I think the original windows was making something like $35 million a year or so... I would imagine a new Windows on the World would do just as well if not better given the increased tourist draw of the new WTC with the Memorial, upcoming museum (someday?) and the general draw of it being the WTC...
Old February 20th, 2012, 12:38 AM   #30212
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

Well let us just say 1 wtc is at lest 87% done from topping out.

Last edited by yankee fan for life; February 20th, 2012 at 12:46 AM.
yankee fan for life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 12:54 AM   #30213
NYBOY1975
BANNED

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkQh2dgd1Eg
Old February 20th, 2012, 01:04 AM   #30214
sbadatella

Likes (Received): 0

Hi everybody!
Could someone please suggest me the best wtc webcams? I know KPI TV and wtc EarthCam.
Thanks a lot
sbadatella no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 01:35 AM   #30215
NYBOY1975
BANNED

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tTtk8RX07M
Old February 20th, 2012, 02:22 AM   #30216
NYBOY1975
BANNED

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbXHAMCpJuo
Old February 20th, 2012, 02:23 AM   #30217
marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgdrewsif View Post
I agree, the original Windows on the World was apparently the most profitable restaurant in the entire United States during its final year of operation prior to 9/11... I am shocked someone has not already set up a restaurant lease in the new WTC... I think the original windows was making something like $35 million a year or so... I would imagine a new Windows on the World would do just as well if not better given the increased tourist draw of the new WTC with the Memorial, upcoming museum (someday?) and the general draw of it being the WTC...

bgdrewsif, I think probably there are people/investors out there very eager to want to have a restaurant at the top of the new tower, but they are just sort of hanging back now waiting until the building gets built and seeing what kind of attraction it really is. My gut tells me that because of what happened on 9/11, the way we lost the twin towers, and the big draw the new 1wtc tower will be due to the site, and the incredible views of the city it will offer, that a restaurant of some kind will surely be put up there in a few years, maybe sooner. It might not be called "Windows on the World", but maybe something else...At any rate, I think this building is going to be a tourist draw the likes of which we haven't seen much in this country before, because of the entire site, and because it will offer those views from 1,300 feet up that noone has been able to enjoy since we lost the twin towers. Just a hunch on my part, maybe i am being overly optimistic, but I really feel the new tower is going to draw people in from all over once it is finished.
Old February 20th, 2012, 02:29 AM   #30218
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

Don't forget that even though Windows on the World made the most money out of any restaurant in 2000, it made that money at a loss. Consider that before speculating about the possibility of a restaurant in 1WTC.
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 02:31 AM   #30219
bgdrewsif

Quote:
bgdrewsif, I think probably there are people/investors out there very eager to want to have a restaurant at the top of the new tower, but they are just sort of hanging back now waiting until the building gets built and seeing what kind of attraction it really is. My gut tells me that because of what happened on 9/11, the way we lost the twin towers, and the big draw the new 1wtc tower will be due to the site, and the incredible views of the city it will offer, that a restaurant of some kind will surely be put up there in a few years, maybe sooner. It might not be called "Windows on the World", but maybe something else...At any rate, I think this building is going to be a tourist draw the likes of which we haven't seen much in this country before, because of the entire site, and because it will offer those views from 1,300 feet up that noone has been able to enjoy since we lost the twin towers. Just a hunch on my part, maybe i am being overly optimistic, but I really feel the new tower is going to draw people in from all over once it is finished.
I agree with your assessment completely... And hope you are right... NY and the World deserves the new WTC to be a HUGE success...
Old February 20th, 2012, 02:38 AM   #30220
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Completely agree. A meal and the best view in the city is something worth mine (and I'm sure many others) money. Would definitely bring in a lot of people if you ask me. I think if it does eventually open, it should be called Windows on the World. It seems fitting for it to have the same name.
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center