daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 26th, 2012, 01:02 AM   #30321
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh View Post
So this has probably been asked before, but just curious, exactly what type of structure is 1wtc? I know the old twin towers were tubular, and their strength came from the outside columns which acted as bracers, like a stick of celery. The old towers got most of their strength from the outside columns, and did not have many interior columns so as to free up more office space..1wtc looks to have an-all glass facade. Does it have a rigid steel skeleton as well, I know it has strong interior concrete reinforced columns and beams? I heard somewhere that 1wtc's exterior facade is merely superficial, that it gets its strength from the interior, unlike in the old twin towers. Is this more akin to older skyscrapers like the ESB? Thanks.
What makes this building so immensely expensive is that it has been over designed in every possible aspect in order to allow it to withstand a future attack. So this building gets its strength from its massive inner concrete core, which you alluded to, and gets its strength from rigid structural steel outside of the core. Modern skyscrapers typically get most of their strength from a collection of rigid structural steel, and a more light weight inner core which is smaller than a traditional concrete core like there is in this building, the advantage is that the more light weight core frees up square feet which can they in turn be leased out.

So to answer your question more directly, this building was designed from the ground up to with stand a catastrophic structural failure of either its inner concrete core, or the rigid structural steel. So it's more of a hybrid than anything. It has a more traditional concrete core and has a more modern structural element of rigid interconnected steel. Both in their current design are not necessary to keep 1 WTC up, but again, it's been designed to withstand severe attacks and immense amount of damage, so that a potential failure of one structural element will not be catastrophic. So yeah, it's more like older skyscrapers, with giant inner cores, and rigid, load bearing structural steel.

Hope that helps.
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2012, 02:49 AM   #30322
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

It'd be awesome if they had an underground mall like at the old WTC. I know if they did that they would have to work around the Memorial and the Transit Hub, but it would still be a cool addition.
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 03:15 AM   #30323
alan88

Likes (Received): 22

it definitely has an underground mall, the Port Authority just did a deal with Westfield who will manage it. Go look at www.wtcprogress.com and retail and the press releases.

Alan
alan88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 03:19 AM   #30324
bgdrewsif

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
maybe it's in honor of NY's Archbishop Timothy Dolan who was recently appointed as a Cardinal
Correct... they wanted to have the Empire State Building go red but they declined so the PA agreed to have the WTC go red for one week in honor of Dolan's being promoted to Cardinal...
bgdrewsif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 04:27 AM   #30325
beanhead4529
i like turtles

Likes (Received): 557

Took these a couple of days ago:

image hosted on flickr

Spring in February by beanhead4529, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Battery Park City by beanhead4529, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Light Up the Night by beanhead4529, on Flickr

my instagram!
beanhead4529 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 06:16 AM   #30326
acc521
Do you expect me to talk?

Likes (Received): 450

LOVE the Light Up The Night pic!
acc521 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 06:45 AM   #30327
S.T.Y AP

Likes (Received): 626

It's going amazing. OMG, NYC more and more stunning!
S.T.Y AP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 06:52 AM   #30328
LegitimateAnswer
:P

Likes (Received): 2

Willis Tower, in chicago, is the highest building in America as of right now. So i guess that makes One WTC third??
LegitimateAnswer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 11:17 AM   #30329
Nikonov_Ivan

Likes (Received): 704

Why third??? As i know Freedom tower will be the highest building in USA. Freedom tower will be a little bit higher.
Nikonov_Ivan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #30330
IngMarco

Likes (Received): 2634

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikonov_Ivan View Post
Why third??? As i know Freedom tower will be the highest building in USA. Freedom tower will be a little bit higher.
Yes but that will happen once it tops out.
IngMarco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 01:08 PM   #30331
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikonov_Ivan View Post
By roof height 1WTC is atm the 3rd tallest in the US after ESB and Willis Tower and when completed it will be the 2nd tallest after Willis Tower

As to the structure of 1WTC, from what I know it is quite unique. It is a core/tube structure like the old Twins and not like ESB, which is a grid structure, but it is hugely different compared to the Twins. The Twins didn't use any concrete and relied heavily on their perimeter columns while having core columns as well so the load was quite balanced out. 1WTC on the other hand relies solely on it's gigantic steel/concrete core with having only as many perimeter columns as is needed to hold the floors. 1WTC has a vastly superior structural design to anything ever seen before. It's massive core is incredibly strong, made outta the strongest concrete known to man and unlike the Twins, 1WTC is also fire resistant. Also, the connections between the floor beams and the core are very strong too to prevent a situation of the outer structure collapsing while the core remains intact. If I have forgotten of anything or said something inaccurately please correct me folks
Old February 26th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #30332
Nikonov_Ivan

Likes (Received): 704

Yes. I totaly agree with you, Kanto. I think, that 1WTC is more coole and unique that willis tower. And in general, the World Trade Center is worthy decoration of Manhattan.
Nikonov_Ivan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 08:01 PM   #30333
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1032

The beam of light is what will really set this tower apart from all the rest.

Oh, and being the physical climax of the world's finest skyline helps too.
Old February 26th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #30334
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
The beam of light is what will really set this tower apart from all the rest.

Oh, and being the physical climax of the world's finest skyline helps too.
Any info on the beam being vertical or horizontal? Or both?
Old February 26th, 2012, 09:04 PM   #30335
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1032

I believe it will be capable of both. NYGuy posted these images at SSP:

Obviously old renders, but there is otherwise no official information that I'm aware of or have been able to find.
Old February 26th, 2012, 09:13 PM   #30336
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22566

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEqY7W-xhAw#t=44s

^ this would be amazing
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 09:13 PM   #30337
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Looks pretty neat, thanks.
Old February 27th, 2012, 12:59 AM   #30338
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

On this day, 19 years ago, the first attempt to destroy the twin towers was made. Thank goodness they did not succeed. Even though it was only a few, still remember those that died in that terrible incident.

On another note: Wow, those pictures make me look forward to the spire lighting even more. It's gonna be amazing.
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 01:32 AM   #30339
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTCNewYork View Post
On this day, 19 years ago, the first attempt to destroy the twin towers was made. Thank goodness they did not succeed. Even though it was only a few, still remember those that died in that terrible incident.

On another note: Wow, those pictures make me look forward to the spire lighting even more. It's gonna be amazing.
I remember the 1993 attacks like yesterday, i was in my sophomore year of high school i remember Turning on the tv and none of the channels where working and then turn on the radio and that's when i herd about the attacks.

Last edited by yankee fan for life; February 27th, 2012 at 01:46 AM.
yankee fan for life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 02:41 AM   #30340
NewYorker2009

Likes (Received): 132

The events of the '93 attack will always make us remember how unsuccessful the terrorists were and that it was just 6 people that perished. I remember those days when only the first bombing happened and people wondered if the Towers would get attacked again. That's why Tower One had to be built above standards at the base to prevent something like a stupid truck bomb from ever causing destruction again.
NewYorker2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center