daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 3rd, 2012, 05:56 AM   #30421
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidsam52 View Post
I still say that if they could do this for the Cardinal (yes well deserved) then WHY didn't they do the building in BIG BLUE for the Giants winning the Superbowl??
I don't remember the giants asking.

Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:42 PM   #30422
Ectelion

Likes (Received): 1

Awsome!!! This project is much better then former WTC
Ectelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 11:07 PM   #30423
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28362

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidsam52 View Post
I still say that if they could do this for the Cardinal (yes well deserved) then WHY didn't they do the building in BIG BLUE for the Giants winning the Superbowl??
Perhaps the developer is not a Giants fan?
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 11:24 PM   #30424
JD47

Likes (Received): 306

Will it be going green then for Paddys day.
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 05:33 AM   #30425
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

image hosted on flickr

pink-1-world-trade-center-5 by dandeluca, on Flickr
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 08:21 AM   #30426
SydneyCity

Likes (Received): 202

Hate to say it, but I actually prefer 1WTC to...what was there before.
Old March 4th, 2012, 10:03 AM   #30427
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

I feel the same way
Old March 4th, 2012, 10:51 AM   #30428
bgdrewsif

Likes (Received): 4

As do I... yes we all greatly miss the old WTC... but what is replacing them is in almost every sense superior to what was lost (physical, safety, engineering, aesthetics, integration into surrounding community and street grid, environmental impact)
bgdrewsif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 11:19 AM   #30429
Informative

Likes (Received): 69

I also agree!. What we had before was amazing!, But what we have now, and will have, is something so far more superior and incredible. It's new and innovative in every aspect, just a better quality building in every possible way
Informative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 12:00 PM   #30430
parsonsnose
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

Timothy Dolan, the Archbishop of the Catholic diocese of New York was recently elevated to a Cardinal by the Pope. The lights of 1WTC have been colored red in his honor.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few ex choirboys whose arses went red in his honour before now.
parsonsnose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 02:39 PM   #30431
JD47

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsonsnose View Post
Timothy Dolan, the Archbishop of the Catholic diocese of New York was recently elevated to a Cardinal by the Pope. The lights of 1WTC have been colored red in his honor.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few ex choirboys whose arses went red in his honour before now.

What a sick thing that would be. You are probaly right though.
Old March 4th, 2012, 03:26 PM   #30432
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sławek View Post
WOW. A very unusual form of the monument of Katyn crime.
Stunng photo.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 03:42 PM   #30433
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Is the cladding still at the octagon point?
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 03:48 PM   #30434
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgdrewsif View Post
As do I... yes we all greatly miss the old WTC... but what is replacing them is in almost every sense superior to what was lost (physical nope, safety yup, engineering yup, aesthetics nope, integration into surrounding community nope and street grid yup, environmental impact yup)
Btw, I have new pics

image hosted on flickr

IMG_0998 by Aussie Browne, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Freedom Tower by rvnix, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

New York is the perfect model of a city, not the model of a perfect city... by FerPecT_sHotz, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Freedom Tower and Friends by Babylon and Beyond Photography, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

One World Trade Center Progress March 2, 2012 by RBudhu, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_0980 by Aussie Browne, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Downtown Sunset by Matthew Pugliese, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

One Last View of the Freedom Tower in Progress by Babylon and Beyond Photography, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Sunset in the City by Matthew Pugliese, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

lower Manhattan by pmarella, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Night Sky over NYC by Jack Ballenger, on Flickr

And the PA cam at the end

Last edited by Kanto; March 4th, 2012 at 03:57 PM.
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 04:46 PM   #30435
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28362

thanks for searching the www for pics again.
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 06:05 PM   #30436
the sock

Likes (Received): 80

has it got 1 or 2 jumps to pass the empire state ?
the sock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #30437
MusicMan84
Annoyed by most of you.

Likes (Received): 149

Took some photos yesterday - thought I would share a couple.

MusicMan84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #30438
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Is the cladding still at the octagon point?
Yes, about one floor under it. The diagonal steel beam is right between the vertical beams.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 11:46 PM   #30439
JD47

Great pictures guys.
Old March 5th, 2012, 11:28 AM   #30440
bgdrewsif

Likes (Received): 4

Kanto, if you are going to type this:
"As do I... yes we all greatly miss the old WTC... but what is replacing them is in almost every sense superior to what was lost (physical nope, safety yup, engineering yup, aesthetics nope, integration into surrounding community nope and street grid yup, environmental impact yup)"

I think it fair to know why you do not feel that the new WTC will not be physically superior, aesthetically superior, or better integrated into the surrounding community than the old WTC?

As I see it, the new WTC buildings are airier, roomier, let in far more natural light, and provide much better comforts for building occupants (some of the office photos I have seen from the original towers are downright claustrophobic and dire looking). From the outside the entire complex is covered in glass and beautifully reflects the lights and skyline of neighboring buildings and even Jersey City is clearly reflected in the almost mirror-like finish of 4WTC in many photos I have seen... The old towers, while they had become familiar landmark, were in many ways a brutalist appendage upon the base of Manhattan and buildings 3 (hotel) and 4, 5, 6, and tower 7 were hardly renowned as attractive or memorable architectural works from an aesthetic standpoint compared to the new Towers 1, 2, 3, 4, the museum pavilion, and the Calatrava-designed transit hall which are generally beautiful and shimmering structures even if towers 3 and 4 are not 'revolutionary' in their overall structural designs...

And the new WTC complex reintegrated the street plan of lower Manhattan that the local community desperately wanted (particularly the new building 7 vs the footprint of the old building 7 which cut off lower Manhattan from the rest of the city's streets and views). The new complex provides the memorial complex and hundreds of trees, grasses, waterfalls, and accompanying wildlife (birds and squirrels and whatnot) compared to the brutalist and stark concrete expanse that was the former Austin J. Tobin Plaza that was almost universally regarded as a barren expanse of concrete despite continual efforts to 'liven' it with planters, benches, speakers, and the occasional concert stages and performances... Can you honestly support the argument that Tobin Plaza was better for New York and the Lower Manhattan community that that memorial site and its landscapes?

The last 10 years have been a continual give and take process between the residents, the developers, and governments but I think its is generally accepted that what has emerged as a result of this messy democratic process greatly exceeds what was destroyed (not including lives lost, only the site itself). The original WTC was a monument to eminent domain, government assert its unwelcome will upon the community, and a project without long-term vision... The new WTC is a case study in negotiation, community input from thousands of stockholders, long-term legacy planning, environmental planning and design, etc.

I am not one of those stakeholders... I have only been through JFK twice in the spring and summer of 2004 (which was an awful and shocking experience both times, Phoenix's Sky Harbor airport has been ranked 'America's Friendliest Airport' for numerous consecutive years, a title I cannot imagine JFK getting anytime soon...) so I freely grant to all that my knowledge of the new and old WTC is of an outsider... but based on all that I have seen, read, and researched I cannot imagine how the old WTC could in any objective sense be better that its successor complex...

So, Kanto, my response tries to take some time to thoughtfully argue and support my views in a manner more detailed than 'yup' or 'nope' and I do hope your response will be more involved also... I promise not to get into some silly shouting match as too many on here do since I really have no personal stake in this, I dont live in NY, never visited there, and aside from hoping to see the WTC someday I have no other desire to go to NY... I just wish to hear how others would respond to and defend the opposite perspective on this... Thank you!
bgdrewsif no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center