daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 6th, 2012, 02:24 AM   #30461
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoDude View Post
pictures 1, 3, and 4 are some of the best i have ever seen. WOW
Ryan Budhu has the best collection of photographs of the new World Trade Center, you should check his photostream
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2012, 03:53 AM   #30462
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

The decking on the 92 floor is almost completed.
Old March 6th, 2012, 04:08 AM   #30463
eyeofodin

Likes (Received): 25

Skyline tonight from Dobbs Ferry on a windy night.

[IMG]http://i39.************/1f3w2.jpg[/IMG]
eyeofodin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 06:13 AM   #30464
alan88

Likes (Received): 22

From the wall street journal tonight

WTC Tower Seeks Radio, TV Signals . By ELIOT BROWN A battle is brewing for the airwaves over Manhattan.

The owners of One World Trade Center are planning to install a broadcast antenna in the 1776-foot building's spire in a bid to lure some of the more than two dozen television and radio stations currently broadcasting from the Empire State Building.

The move—reviving an earlier broadcast plan that was dropped out of financial concerns—would inject some competition into the skies for the Empire State Building, which since the collapse of the original World Trade Center towers in 2001 has been the go-to broadcast site in the city.

One World Trade Center site
."Our expectations would be to become the premiere broadcast facility in New York City," said Thomas Bow, senior vice president at the Durst Organization, the development firm that controls One World Trade in a partnership with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. The building, currently under construction, is slated for completion at the end of 2013.

A spokesman for Malkin Holdings, an owner of the Empire State Building, declined to comment.

The Durst Organization expects to be able to take in about $10 million a year in rents and fees from television and radio stations drawn to the tower, the company said.

That is compared with the $16.1 million the Empire State Building generated from broadcasters in 2010, according to a securities filing. The only other main competitor is 4 Times Square, which is owned by the Durst Organization and primarily serves as a backup location for broadcasters, and would offer itself as a backup under the new broadcast plan.

The plan, which came after Durst Organization executives pitched the Port Authority on the idea, calls for other changes to the planned 408-foot spire on top of One Trade Center. Its architectural cone would be stripped away, putting in place a thinner, more functional spire that the Durst Organization said would save about $20 million.

The revision, however, drew criticism from the building's architect, Skidmore Owings & Merrill, people familiar with the matter said.

Under the agreement, Durst will put up the approximately $7 million of infrastructure and about $20 million of costs to build out the broadcast space for tenants, the company said. The proceeds would be split between the two owners, although Mr. Bow declined to give specifics.

The Port Authority pulled back from that route three years ago when it became concerned with putting in more money into the tower and the agency began worried that there wouldn't be enough interest from broadcasters.

Write to Eliot Brown at [email protected]
alan88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 06:19 AM   #30465
Otie
Researcher

Old March 6th, 2012, 07:34 AM   #30466
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1034

I'm missing something. What exactly does this mean?
Old March 6th, 2012, 07:54 AM   #30467
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

Without the architectural cone how much thinner will it make the spire now ?
Old March 6th, 2012, 08:05 AM   #30468
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
I'm missing something. What exactly does this mean?
Their redesigning the spire. It will be thinner, perhaps more antennae-like than an actual spire. Though I'm sure they'll still call it a spire to ensure the official height of 1,776 feet.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 09:12 AM   #30469
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

It said they might, not sure if it's definite.

Still horrible news that their even considering it, this is why the US will never more supertalls.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #30470
Melb_SuperTall

Likes (Received): 24

NOOOO!!! Not the pretty spire... New Yorkers must protest!!
Melb_SuperTall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 01:11 PM   #30471
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Wow, this is the best news of this month. The ugly fat spire has been cancelled. This will make 1WTC a lot more beautiful
Old March 6th, 2012, 01:51 PM   #30472
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

I hope you are kidding. Even if you have a particular distaste for spires, I can promise you that the new antenna, if built, we be a lot worse. It will something like the old antenna on the old North Tower.
---

This is really bad news. I just can't believe that Durst is seriously trying to pull this off. Shame on them! There needs to be an uproar, a massive protest from all New Yorkers. Maybe The New York Times should print a comparison pic between the old and new spire...
Old March 6th, 2012, 02:01 PM   #30473
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

Yeah, basically what HK. If this deal goes through 1 WTC will have a a Conde Nest-esque antenna on top, like what is pictured. What would be cancelled would be the outer casing, which hides the hideous antenna, not the actual antenna/spire.

Durst are not the experts, so they should listen to SOM on this one. Hopefully SOM can convince them otherwise because, sticking a Conde Nest antenna on top of a really sleek looking tower would simply ruin 1 WTC. No other way around it.

Source.
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 02:11 PM   #30474
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8243

oh no, this is horrible news =( this is set to be the new icon of new york city and they cut so much there. 3WTC may only be 7 stories tall. the spire will turn into an ugly antenna, where will this end

edit: mistook the buildings, sorry for that

Last edited by KillerZavatar; March 6th, 2012 at 02:19 PM.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 02:13 PM   #30475
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
oh no, this is horrible news =( this is set to be the new icon of new york city and they cut so much there. 4WTC may only be 7 stories tall. the spire will turn into an ugly antenna, where will this end
4 WTC is U/C and is well on its way to being 298M this spring.

3 WTC is awaiting a tenant and will be temporarily built to 7 stories until one is found. Get your facts straight.
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 02:18 PM   #30476
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8243

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
4 WTC is U/C and is well on its way to being 298M this spring.

3 WTC is awaiting a tenant and will be temporarily built to 7 stories until one is found. Get your facts straight.
oh i was confusing 3WTC and 4WTC for a moment, sorry about that and thanks for clearing up
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 02:30 PM   #30477
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
Yeah, the fugliest antenna in NY by far. I so hope that Durst listens to SOM, I mean this is not any tower, this is NY's new icon for God's sake!
Sometimes aesthetics and public acceptance are more important than money. Especially people who make important decisions should realize that.
Old March 6th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #30478
Otie
Researcher

This tower needs the architectural enclosure
image hosted on flickr

Antenna at 1WTC by Otie O'Daniel, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

1WTC | Mast and radome enclosure by Otie O'Daniel, on Flickr
Old March 6th, 2012, 03:36 PM   #30479
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK999 View Post
I hope you are kidding. Even if you have a particular distaste for spires, I can promise you that the new antenna, if built, we be a lot worse. It will something like the old antenna on the old North Tower.
---

This is really bad news. I just can't believe that Durst is seriously trying to pull this off. Shame on them! There needs to be an uproar, a massive protest from all New Yorkers. Maybe The New York Times should print a comparison pic between the old and new spire...
I liked the North Tower's antenna far more than 1WTC's spire I just hope that that hideous ring will be removed from the design too
Old March 6th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #30480
kiyardo

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyardo View Post
Does anyone know when they will start the cladding again?
??
kiyardo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center