daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 8th, 2012, 04:59 AM   #30541
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK999 View Post
LOL.

Meanwhile...

http://www.panynj.gov/press-room/pre...adLine_id=1544

Quote:
STATE-OF-THE-ART BROADCAST CENTER POISED TO RETURN TO WORLD TRADE CENTER
Quote:
One World Trade Center, soon to stand as the Western Hemisphere’s tallest building, is planning to add broadcasting to its summit. As part of an arrangement now being finalized with The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, The Durst Organization would oversee construction and operation of a new, state-of-the-art broadcast facility atop the tower. The installation would offer television and FM radio broadcast capabilities.

With a 408-foot spire reaching an ultimate height of 1,776 square feet, One World Trade Center’s broadcast center is expected to attract a number of prestigious broadcast partners, while promising to generate significant revenue for the project in return for a relatively modest capital investment.

Employing full redundant power, the One World Trade Center broadcast center would be marketed together with a broadcast tower atop 4 Times Square, also operated by The Durst Organization. The two towers would together serve as a primary and back-up facility, creating an economy of scale for broadcast tenants.

Upon completion, the broadcast center is projected to generate more than $10 million annually. The facility would require approximately $7.4 million in up-front capital costs. All costs related to the broadcast facility would be borne entirely by The Durst Organization. Prior to September 11, 2001, the World Trade Center’s North Tower featured a 360-foot broadcast center at its top.
With construction now having risen to the 92nd floor, One World Trade Center is the tallest building in downtown Manhattan. Upon completion, One World Trade Center will stand 104 stories high and offer 71 rentable floors totaling three million square feet of leasable, Class-A office space.

Mar 06, 2012
The PA and Durst are dead serious about this. Let's all pray SOM does something about this, at least the redesign should look good too.
Good to know the spire will reach an ultimate height of 1776 square feet ...
Who writes this shit ...

Not sure what all the hubbub is over this news but ...
Perhaps the height to architectural top can be adjusted with this new spire to be 1776 feet measured from the lowest entrance because:
1 - that number seems to be important to some people.
2 - the official CTBUH height will be higher than 1776 (if the spire height remains the same) because they will measure from the finished floor at the threshold of the lowest entrance and not from the average lobby floor height as the plans do.

Ray.

Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #30542
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
I think they will cover it with a new material like you said.

If you remember originally it was going to have an antenna with no substance to it, meaning air and weather could pass through the antenna because there was no casing or cover to the actual antenna, it was like BofA and 4 TS. But that idea got canned and they redesigned to what just got canned, because they were afraid of ice and snow getting stuck up there and falling down, potentially onto the sidewalk or into the park.

So I would have to imagine that on this redesign the antenna gets a cover or casing so we won't have a hideous 4 TS antenna on top of 1 WTC.
Yeah, the only thing that keeps me worrying is that the new spire will be slimmer, even with a new covering. So no matter how you turn it, we'll probably end up with a much thinner spire.
Old March 8th, 2012, 09:13 PM   #30543
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1034

Honestly the spire could stand to be a little slimmer. I guess it all comes down to how dramatic the change in thickness is. Good news about that bit in the WSJ article being retracted, though.
Old March 9th, 2012, 04:31 AM   #30544
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/03/...-top-off-date/
Old March 9th, 2012, 05:01 AM   #30545
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

Is anyone surprised?
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 06:10 AM   #30546
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5172

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee fan for life View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_man12345 View Post
Is anyone surprised?
Nope.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 06:16 AM   #30547
NewYorker2009

Likes (Received): 132

I'm not surprised, anyone with common sense could see the Tower wouldn't top out in April, they have 160 feet to go come on now.
NewYorker2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 06:31 AM   #30548
spiller9

Likes (Received): 10

Going back to the spire issue...if they were to leave the mechanical antenna "uncovered" would it still count as an achitectural feature and thus go towards the overall height or would the building be classified by its roof height?
spiller9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 06:41 AM   #30549
Eastern37
Optimist

Likes (Received): 3047

No because then it would just be an antenna, which isn't counted....
Eastern37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 08:20 AM   #30550
Int Cities&Scrapers

Likes (Received): 2

My entire belief in growth of skyscrapers in my city grew(no pun intended) When I was able to see the progress of 1 World trade all the way from Queens. I still wish if a 2nd building had been built it would greatly attract companies like UBS who had intended to move but somehow didn't occur......
Int Cities&Scrapers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 09:16 AM   #30551
patrick989

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
Honestly the spire could stand to be a little slimmer. I guess it all comes down to how dramatic the change in thickness is. Good news about that bit in the WSJ article being retracted, though.
I agree. I really don't care if it's slimmer, as long as it doesn't look like crap.
patrick989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 11:38 AM   #30552
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

http://www.lowermanhattan.info/news/..._to_50786.aspx

March 7, 2012
1 WTC Starts to Shine on the Manhattan Skyline

Destined to be the country’s tallest skyscraper, 1 World Trade Center is on track to top out at 104 stories (1,368 feet) this spring. The tower’s steel frame now stands at 92 stories, and already has marked the downtown skyline, with its twin tower cranes visible from miles away. Contractor Tishman Construction is proceeding with the erection of the final dozen stories, which are being built as mechanical-equipment floors, rather than regular office floors, therefore requiring more time to complete. An observation deck will serve as the tower’s highest story.

The glass façade also is rapidly enclosing the structure, with panels reaching the 70th floor this month. The façade glass of 1 WTC uses a new form of high-performance, low-emittance (low-E) glass-coating technology, maximizing sunlight and minimizing heat gain inside the building. The coating also is reflective, creating a shimmering effect on the building’s surface.

This month, crews also will begin installing vertical glass panels around the building’s 186-foot-tall base, also called the podium. More than 4,000 frosted glass fins, each measuring 13 feet 4 inches-by-two feet, are being specially created by the contractor Permasteelisa. The glass fins will attach to the exterior of the podium wall at varying angles to create a series of v-shaped wing effects along the building surface. The wall also will use concealed energy-efficient LEDs to create a soft exterior glow. In addition to the illuminating the podium, the v-shaped glass cladding pattern will provide ventilation for the mechanical systems within, including a 1.2-megawatt, next-generation fuel-cell plant housed above the lobby.

One the steel structure tops out later this year, the Port Authority will spend approximately three months erecting the 400-foot-tall spire that will ultimately bring 1 WTC’s total height to 1,776 feet. The spire also will serve as a broadcast antenna, replacing the one lost on the original WTC’s north tower.

The first tenants are expected to begin moving in to 1 WTC in late 2013.
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 01:48 PM   #30553
Informative

Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli83 View Post
http://www.lowermanhattan.info/news/..._to_50786.aspx

March 7, 2012
1 WTC Starts to Shine on the Manhattan Skyline

Destined to be the country’s tallest skyscraper, 1 World Trade Center is on track to top out at 104 stories (1,368 feet) this spring. The tower’s steel frame now stands at 92 stories, and already has marked the downtown skyline, with its twin tower cranes visible from miles away. Contractor Tishman Construction is proceeding with the erection of the final dozen stories, which are being built as mechanical-equipment floors, rather than regular office floors, therefore requiring more time to complete. An observation deck will serve as the tower’s highest story.

The glass façade also is rapidly enclosing the structure, with panels reaching the 70th floor this month. The façade glass of 1 WTC uses a new form of high-performance, low-emittance (low-E) glass-coating technology, maximizing sunlight and minimizing heat gain inside the building. The coating also is reflective, creating a shimmering effect on the building’s surface.

This month, crews also will begin installing vertical glass panels around the building’s 186-foot-tall base, also called the podium. More than 4,000 frosted glass fins, each measuring 13 feet 4 inches-by-two feet, are being specially created by the contractor Permasteelisa. The glass fins will attach to the exterior of the podium wall at varying angles to create a series of v-shaped wing effects along the building surface. The wall also will use concealed energy-efficient LEDs to create a soft exterior glow. In addition to the illuminating the podium, the v-shaped glass cladding pattern will provide ventilation for the mechanical systems within, including a 1.2-megawatt, next-generation fuel-cell plant housed above the lobby.

One the steel structure tops out later this year, the Port Authority will spend approximately three months erecting the 400-foot-tall spire that will ultimately bring 1 WTC’s total height to 1,776 feet. The spire also will serve as a broadcast antenna, replacing the one lost on the original WTC’s north tower.

The first tenants are expected to begin moving in to 1 WTC in late 2013.
WOW!, Great news! , so does that mean there is going to be an Observation Floor at the very top?
Informative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 01:53 PM   #30554
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8243

at least the height in the articles stays the same, so the antenna really only has a different design but stays the same otherwise
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 04:27 PM   #30555
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informative View Post
WOW!, Great news! , so does that mean there is going to be an Observation Floor at the very top?
Nope, it means observation deck is highest floor for public use..Above that are only mechanical floors..
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 06:49 PM   #30556
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17002

My World Trade Center photos from Yesterday

Manhattan

image hosted on flickr

DSCN2461 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN2463 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

From Jersey City

image hosted on flickr

DSCN2464 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN2465 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Katyn Memorial with WTC 1&4 Rising in the Background by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN2475 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN2557 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 07:16 PM   #30557
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Nice update.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #30558
pnapp1
Die-Hard New Yorker!

Likes (Received): 353

Very large shipment of steel has been arriving all day at 1 WTC. This shot is at 12PM and does not include what has already been offloaded this morning.

Image via KPI TV Webcam.
http://www.video-monitoring.com/cons...itv/silver.htm
pnapp1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #30559
Rockmont

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
I'm doubtful. They said there going to make it thinner and more functional looking. To me, that doesn't sound good. I liked the spire as is. It sounds more antennae-like than spire. I don't want to see a spire like atop the NYTT or 4TS. Which I'm afraid it will be.

As I said before, the hell with the damn spire! just leave the rooftop without it, and put an outdoor observation deck there. The antenna can go on top of any building. But like I said, it makes too much sense, and there will be some lame excuse for it. As always.
Rockmont no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 10:07 PM   #30560
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmont View Post
As I said before, the hell with the damn spire! just leave the rooftop without it, and put an outdoor observation deck there. The antenna can go on top of any building. But like I said, it makes too much sense, and there will be some lame excuse for it. As always.
Even if they removed the antenna, there would still be dozens of smaller antennas on the rooftop, so either way a rooftop observation deck could not exist. It's the same situation it was with the north tower.
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center