daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 20th, 2012, 10:04 PM   #30761
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

Is it only me or is it insane how small the footprint of 1WTC is alongside the Barclay-vessey and WFCs. In that picture it almost looks like someone just put the WTC down in its spot whereas the WFC looks established. I'm not sure if my point is clear, but I actually do like how slender and tall it's starting to look.
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2012, 10:12 PM   #30762
MusicMan84
Annoyed by most of you.

Likes (Received): 149

The fact is that there will always be differing opinions on this tower, because of the historical and emotional implications it will always carry. The fact is that there will always be people and groups of people who want something different from what it is. The varying expectations mean that not everyone can be pleased. I, for one, quite enjoy the design - and I don't envy the task of trying to meet the various expectations people have for this place.
MusicMan84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 12:32 AM   #30763
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

When they start the base cladding, which should be pretty soon, will they clad the lobby or the podium's mechanical floors first?
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 03:00 AM   #30764
NYBOY1975
BANNED

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli83 View Post
New steel is arriving at the very moment

btw this thread now has more replies than Burj Khalifa
Yes! Does this mean new steel being errected tomorow 3/21/2012?

http://www.youtube.com/user/NYBOY75
NYBOY1975 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 04:13 AM   #30765
Tommy Boy
MEGATALLS for AMERICA

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF221 View Post
I myself visited New York a week ago and saw the tower up close... and to tell you the truth there's nothing "special" in the design.... it is modern, yes, but that doesn't mean its immediately pleasing to the eye or the most beautiful tower in downtown... in fact, I think I'd prefer the older gothic styled towers to this one, since, for the time they were built, they were exceptionally tall, and also well designed and creative... I think WTC 1 has gotten much less character than what it deserves for being NY's symbol of rebuilding... and now they want to make the spire thinner and simpler!!! In short, I think everyone expects more from a building designed to replace the reknown Twin Towers.
Totally AGREE WITH YOU SIR. I visit New York in christmas and I think it is a nice building sure, but the old ones was just majestic. They dominated so hard the skyline. I wanted to see two freedom towers so to speak and they would have been 1776 feet tall in office hight not spire-hight. The spire can be 1000 feet tall I still count the roof as the final hight.

sorry for my english
Tommy Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 04:40 AM   #30766
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

I am totally amazed on how some people are giving critiques on a building that has not been finish yet i work at the world world financial center from 1997 to 2000 so if any body who knew the world trade centers was me , and as much as i miss those buildings and wish that they where still here and the 2,996 people that died lets be honest the design of those buildings was bland most people see those buildings though nostalgic eyes i think 1wtc is a good design yes i wish 1 wtc was a bit taller but it is much better than having nothing at all .

Last edited by yankee fan for life; March 21st, 2012 at 04:53 AM.
yankee fan for life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 04:55 AM   #30767
great184
visionary

Likes (Received): 281

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee fan for life View Post
I am totally amazed on how some people are giving critiques on a building that has not been finish yet i work at the world world financial center from 1997 to 2000 so if any body who knew the world trade centers was me , and as much as i miss those buildings and wish that they where still here and the 2,996 people that died lets be honest the design of those buildings was bland most people see those buildings though nostalgic eyes i think 1wtc is a good design yes i wish 1 wtc was a bit taller but it is much better than having nothing at all .
Well, to keep it short, we can't please everybody...

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1536278
great184 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 05:00 AM   #30768
Andre83
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Probably would have been a better idea to not start the thread with provocative statements, but hopefully this thread can stay on topic.
Andre83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 05:06 AM   #30769
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

You guys, this thread has just surpassed the Burj Khalifa as the most viewed supertall thread!
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 05:16 AM   #30770
yankee fan for life

You mean the most post burj khalifa still has the most views not to get of topic but if you go to goggle and hit up the burj khalifa you will get 14,700,000 veiws and if you hit 1wtc you will get 352,000,000 veiws .
Old March 21st, 2012, 05:18 AM   #30771
Chapelo

Likes (Received): 686

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee fan for life View Post
Run on sentence much? Anyway:

They weren't bland at all; they were interesting to look at, and were a byproduct of the era they came from; an era that emphasized functionality over aesthetics. And they did what they were designed to do beautifully; large, open office floors without columns. Sure, it wasn't going to win the Pritzker Prize, but it was built with a purpose, and it accomplished what it was built to do.

I don't see those buildings through nostalgic eyes, I see them through the eyes of a New Yorker. They were the pillars of the Manhattan skyline, and though we can't have them back, they'll always be the first thing I think of when I look towards the city.

I will say, though, that the new WTC is a definite improvement over the old, especially with the running of the streets back through the site, and an overall more modern, humanizing look.

image hosted on flickr

One World Trade Center (Under Construction) by Mike McQuaid, on Flickr

Last edited by Chapelo; March 21st, 2012 at 06:07 PM.
Chapelo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 05:38 AM   #30772
yankee fan for life

Sorry if my inappropriate punctuation's or conjunctions bother you but i am also a born and bred new yorker too, i should have stated my views as an opinion .

Last edited by yankee fan for life; March 21st, 2012 at 05:54 AM.
yankee fan for life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 07:42 AM   #30773
Melb_SuperTall

Likes (Received): 24

Wtc1 is looking more beautiful by the day and anyone who wants to fawn over the old towers please go somewhere else.. Thankyou. We understand you may not see the building as a fitting replacement for the twins but there are people who see differently so please stop depressing everyone with your criticism.
Melb_SuperTall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 09:57 AM   #30774
Bricken Ridge

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by the man from k-town View Post

the Woolworth provides such a stunning contrast to WTC.
Bricken Ridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 11:29 AM   #30775
Informative

Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb_SuperTall View Post
Wtc1 is looking more beautiful by the day and anyone who wants to fawn over the old towers please go somewhere else.. Thankyou. We understand you may not see the building as a fitting replacement for the twins but there are people who see differently so please stop depressing everyone with your criticism.
I agree, everyone has there own opinions. I miss the old WTC, but please, stop depressing everyone and bringing the new WTC down. The new WTC is grand, some people hate the old, some hate the new, however it's about looking forward and not in the past.

Bringing the old ones back would give us the image of that very day, every day, we need to move on into the future, this new design is modern, it's a structure that fit's into today's society, and the future society.

Please take your thoughts elsewhere we need to concentrate on the building of the WTC, not arguing about which one is better, and why, especially considering it hasn't even finished, nor has then entire center!. When 2WTC comes up and there's two huge buildings almost the same as the original, and 3 WTC is up and all is don,e you may change your mind ...
Informative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 03:41 PM   #30776
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

Joe Woolhead (March 12, 2012) on http://www.wtc.com/media/

oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 07:26 PM   #30777
Chapelo

image hosted on flickr

Week 11/52: 1 WTC by BrianYChan, on Flickr
Old March 21st, 2012, 07:28 PM   #30778
Chapelo

Here's an interesting map for Circle-Line Cruises that shows a completed 1WTC.

image hosted on flickr

101 New York Sights Map for Circle Line Sightseeing Cruises by Rod Hunt Illustration, on Flickr
Old March 21st, 2012, 08:20 PM   #30779
LexISguy

Likes (Received): 214

Nice illustration the future of the manhattan skyline is alomst complete.
LexISguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 09:10 PM   #30780
patrick989

Likes (Received): 12

lol what a horrible map
patrick989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center