daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 28th, 2012, 10:06 PM   #30941
pingyao
Virtual Architect

Likes (Received): 200

Symbolically I guess people may want to keep it the tallest, but who knows in countless decades to come - Oties pic is phenomenal.
pingyao no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2012, 10:11 PM   #30942
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveclassicrock7 View Post
2 meters less than the ESB, awesome! By the way, after this is completed, do you think they will try to keep it as nyc's tallest building, or will they allow taller buildings to be built ?
It's not supposed to stay the tallest forever, 432 Park Avenue is a proposed supertall that should be taller when build. Look at the Chrysler Building, it was the highest in NYC when build but was overtaken by the ESB within a year.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 10:47 PM   #30943
the man from k-town
Frankfurt-Lover <3

Likes (Received): 6880

Old March 29th, 2012, 01:02 AM   #30944
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10141

floor 100= 377m/1236ft?
Old March 29th, 2012, 01:20 AM   #30945
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1807 View Post
It's not supposed to stay the tallest forever, 432 Park Avenue is a proposed supertall that should be taller when build. Look at the Chrysler Building, it was the highest in NYC when build but was overtaken by the ESB within a year.
432 Park will be taller then 1 wtc by roof if approved but out by pinnacle height.
Old March 29th, 2012, 01:24 AM   #30946
RandomNameTag
Skyscraper fan

Likes (Received): 22

I wonder if a megatall would ever get built in New York. The Nimby power there says no.
RandomNameTag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 01:37 AM   #30947
kony

Likes (Received): 1241

great vids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6mFz...2&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJmFJ...6&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zDfm...3&feature=plcp
kony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 02:55 AM   #30948
NYBOY1975
BANNED

Likes (Received): 95

These are great videos, keep them coming!

http://www.youtube.com/user/NYBOY75
NYBOY1975 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 06:19 AM   #30949
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

An office with a view
By Lucas Jackson MARCH 26, 2012

Quote:

Everyone knows that moving into an office with a view is a sure sign of status at your job. If it’s a corner office with a view in two different directions you have managed to place yourself within the upper rungs of the corporate ladder. If your office has a 360 degree view of the financial capital of the world, New York City, you must be a legend. Or, you could be an ironworker putting together the iron skeleton of the new One World Trade in downtown Manhattan.

One World Trade, previously known as the Freedom Tower, has in the last several years quietly grown taller and taller. Today it stands a few stories below being the tallest building in New York City. It is still rising too, at a rather rapid rate and after visiting the top floor I met first hand the group of dedicated ironworkers who are piecing it together, one bolt at a time.

Their commute to work is as vertical as ours is horizontal. Because the interior of the building is not yet finished, the quickest way to get to their workplace is via several different elevator systems and a couple of steel ladders. One external freight elevator (running express for the beginning of the daily shift and at lunch hours) took us to the 39th floor where one must catch another elevator that took us to within a couple stories of the top of the building. In this case it took us to roughly the 90th floor. Here we left the elevators behind and took two open steel ladders to the 92nd and 93rd floors where the steel skeleton of this building is being installed whenever the weather allows. One of these ladders is two stories tall and a little bit wobbly, it was climbing this ladder that I realized I am glad that I’m not afraid of heights.

On this clear Friday the weather on the ground was warm with a light breeze; up almost 1000 feet above the ground that small breeze was a little more intense and the temperature dropped accordingly. However, the view was incredible. At this height the building had risen far above any of its neighbors that either withstood or have risen since September 11, 2001. Unfortunately for the view, but for the very necessary reason of safety, there is plastic mesh surrounding these open floors to keep both workers and their equipment from falling off the side to cause chaos below. Even with this mesh the sense of height above the city is incredible and the view that you can see through the mesh is amazing.

Inside this mesh a few dozen iron workers work busily to connect the beams that make up the massive iron infrastructure of the building together. Two cranes, whose massive bases take up almost the entire interior of the building, work in unison to lift the massive steel beams into place and to help make the minute adjustments to these beams that will allow the bolts that hold them together to be placed. The workers seem to have the balance of gymnasts as they move back and forth on the beams to both guide the beams that hang from the cable of the crane and then to come and attach them to the existing framework with large bolts and pointed wrenches. Safety is an obvious necessity at this height and when working with such heavy materials. Every worker in the air seems to have a partner below who is constantly watching to make sure that things look okay and everyone is strapped up, in some way or another, to the beams they sit, walk or stand upon.

For me it was difficult to keep an eye on everything moving around all at once while photographing. The safety officers and representatives from the Port Authority who organized this trip helped to make sure that we did not stand below workers attaching bolts since we were standing two floors below them on the highest finished floor in the building. We also stayed away from the areas where the cranes were lifting and placing the steel beams and where the workers used ropes attached to the beams to guide them into place. The repercussions of being in the wrong place at the wrong time in that area were too dire for us to get near, mostly because no one wants to be in the way or to distract any of these workers while they move thousands of pounds of iron beams through the air.

It was a dream to photograph though. It was like a dance I didn’t know the steps to, but was mesmerizing to watch. Everything was as coordinated and precise as it could be when dealing with these beams. In the one hour we were able to spend up there it seemed as if half a dozen beams were attached. It was great watching one worker sit on top of a beam as he and another used a massive weight hanging from a crane to move the beam inches to the right so that the bolts would line up with the holes drilled for them. We were also lucky enough that one of the massive beams placed in the interior of the building to enhance the structural integrity was being guided into it’s final destination by an ironworker’s outstretched foot. It felt like another world to be up there.

The view, the height, and the magnitude of the building that these workers have built were all amazing to see firsthand. I took as many pictures as I could to try and show the difficulty of the work as well as the amazing visual scene it made when combined with the openness of the sky all around these men. It was exciting to take photographs that are now a part of the record of these workers and this building that they have built above the site known to most as “Ground Zero.” It was also exciting to see the inside of this building that is soon to become the highest in New York and will house thousands of workers in it’s future. I now feel connected to this building by seeing it’s skeleton, it’s hard iron soul, even though I was only there for an hour. I cannot imagine the pride and connection that the ironworkers must feel and I don’t think any of them are going to be able to keep a straight face when someone talks about “an office with a view.”
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 06:48 AM   #30950
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomNameTag View Post
I wonder if a megatall would ever get built in New York. The Nimby power there says no.
I honestly dont think so. People wonder why Chicago gets 600m proposals all the time, its because of chicago having no zoning restrictions. Either way, I think Chicago and New York are equally beautiful, and I can't wait to see the freedom tower topped out, its a gorgeous building!

iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 07:23 AM   #30951
Dralcoffin
Proud Midwesterner

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveclassicrock7 View Post
I honestly dont think so. People wonder why Chicago gets 600m proposals all the time, its because of chicago having no zoning restrictions. Either way, I think Chicago and New York are equally beautiful, and I can't wait to see the freedom tower topped out, its a gorgeous building!

Er, Chicago has a very strict zoning code; one especially intricate layer of getting a building approved in Chicago is working the local alderman over to your side to get the zoning changed for the site you want. New York will get a 2000 footer at some point; there's just too much density and pride in New York not for one to be built.

Although I would love for Chicago to answer 1WTC with an actual 2000 footer. Damn Spire and the economy...
Dralcoffin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 07:37 AM   #30952
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralcoffin View Post
Er, Chicago has a very strict zoning code; one especially intricate layer of getting a building approved in Chicago is working the local alderman over to your side to get the zoning changed for the site you want. New York will get a 2000 footer at some point; there's just too much density and pride in New York not for one to be built.

Although I would love for Chicago to answer 1WTC with an actual 2000 footer. Damn Spire and the economy...
Haha, I could swear i heard about them not having restrictions... oh well. Anyways though, i wouldn't be too worried dude. Chicago gets a 600m proposal every few years, and their is currently a proposal for a 600m right now, give it 5 years, and I bet they will have one under construction. Especially once this is finished and the economy recovers, they will have a bunch of chicago architects trying to get a 600m + building lol... you know how chicago is about having america's tallest building haha. Im hoping that both Chicago and New york will build some huge buildings soon so that we can catch up with Asia!
Old March 29th, 2012, 03:09 PM   #30953
UjaiDidida
Ruzaini Roosfa

Location: Kuala Lumpur Currently in: Johor Bahru From: Bandar Baru Bangi Favourite Food: Nasi Lemak
Likes (Received): 1813

image hosted on flickr

Manhattan Island, viewed from Exchange Place by ScenicViews, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Manhattan Island, viewed from Exchange Place by ScenicViews, on Flickr
UjaiDidida no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #30954
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

beautiful
Old March 29th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #30955
LexISguy

Likes (Received): 214

Has 1WTC surpasssed ESB already?
LexISguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #30956
Sid Vicious
BANNED

Likes (Received): 269

not yet!
Sid Vicious no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #30957
kevsy21

Likes (Received): 144

Great vids,some superb views.

My Liverpool Blog-- http://urbanliverpool.blogspot.com/
kevsy21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 10:05 PM   #30958
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexISguy View Post
Has 1WTC surpasssed ESB already?
2 meters to go!
Old March 29th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #30959
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

Please people stop quoting images and videos. Not necessary, it only increases the loading time of this page.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 11:29 PM   #30960
MusicMan84
Annoyed by most of you.

Likes (Received): 149

Weren't we supposed to see the facade installation on the base start this month? I suppose they have a couple days left...but I don't see anything. I wanna see how these new angled glass panels are going to look on the tower!

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center