daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 6th, 2012, 01:01 AM   #31101
RandomNameTag
Skyscraper fan

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
^ They have already done that, the original plan by Peter Walker called for sweet gum trees at the Memorial Glade and at OneWTC's east and west plazas, there were some maintainance problems with those beautiful trees so they decided to replace them with swamp white oak trees to match with the rest.
Those trees grow up north? I thought they grew only in the south, lol.
RandomNameTag no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2012, 01:19 AM   #31102
Optimum1368

Likes (Received): 2

The plaza looks just dreadful. The logo, mehh, I don't see why everybody's hating on it. (what can you expect from a logo?, I think it ishows the Tower as a legitimate office building, any vibrant colors and tacky fonts would've made the Tower look like a joke) Also, back to the plaza,I understand that the NYPD are concerned with safety and what not, but there is a line between safe, and downright intimidating - which I think this plaza looks like. Nobody's asking for an expensive, beautiful plaza (Heck, even the OWTC's plaza was pretty mundane, but it did the job) just something welcoming.
Old April 6th, 2012, 01:42 AM   #31103
Mercenary

Likes (Received): 201

Who Gives a Crap about the Logo?

I am more concerned about the awful re-design of the West Plaza.....

It looks like Fort Knox instead of an open space Plaza....what morons
Mercenary no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 03:19 AM   #31104
VRS

Likes (Received): 11521

looks has become the tallest tower in NY..
VRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 03:55 AM   #31105
NYBOY1975
BANNED

Likes (Received): 95

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnACeG9cnfY
NYBOY1975 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 05:20 AM   #31106
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

[QUOTE=meh_cd;90149094]I expected people not to act like a wet paper bag when it came to matters like this. Grow a spine. Life goes on. I sincerely hope that the majority of New Yorkers do not live in constant fear. The people being paranoid beyond belief are the NYPD. Overly paranoid isn't a strong enough word to use in 1 WTC's case.

As for your second pa

(grow a spine?) Irrelevant to the discussion and very poor form.

Life can go on of course, but this site has to be protected given its brutal history, it is vital. Aesthetics are not everything if there is a real threat to the safety of the public. I think the future of NY skyscraper development as a whole rests on the safeguarding of this site. If something terrible happened here again, there is a very good chance that large scale projects like this one might not happen again for a long time in NYC out of fear and requirements for heavy duty security ($$$). It is human nature, and as we have seen before, our society often reacts suddenly out of fear and takes excessive measures for good or bad, and there is nothing your brave words can do about it. I for one will forsake a pretty plaza for the utmost security of WTC1 and the rest of the site. If the experts think that this will make the building safer, I'll accept the decision and not act like a spoiled child who can't grasp logic. Again, remember where you are talking about, this is the WTC in NYC, for God's sake, which has been a target twice now. Let's make sure nothing happens again. We don't want even harsher ugly security measures everywhere in NYC around all significant buildings.

Again, the experts in security and stakeholders probably know what the hell they are talking about, far more than you. Your opinion means very little because you are not involved in the process, and are only looking at the problem from a limited external viewpoint.

Last edited by aquablue; April 6th, 2012 at 05:50 AM. Reason: ragraph, why not apply that to everything in the world? I love arguments like that. Oh, you're not in security? Then shut up!
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 06:38 AM   #31107
Int Cities&Scrapers

Likes (Received): 2

You know what would be great? If Tower 2 was creeping up behind it.
Int Cities&Scrapers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 07:07 AM   #31108
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5171

8+ hands on deck at WTC observatory

By LOIS WEISS
Last Updated: 11:15 AM, April 5, 2012

Companies are lining up for a chance to run the observation deck at the top of 1 World Trade Center.

The Post has learned that at least eight of 10 groups are expected to respond to a request for proposal by May 7, with an operator likely to be chosen over the summer. The winner will take over the 100th, 101st and 102nd floors of the building and be able to run restaurants as part of their operations.

The Durst Organization, which has partnered with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey to operate and manage the 104-story tower, will be reviewing the responses. Durst declined to comment.

The 100th floor observatory is expected to become a cash cow for the building as millions of visitors are already making pilgrimages to the Sept. 11 memorial pools and eventually a museum. Prior to 2001, the previous WTC observatory had 2 million visitors. Public restaurants will eventually open on the 101st and 102nd floors.

In regulatory filings, the Empire State Building owners revealed they net over $40 million a year from observatory fees."
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 07:48 AM   #31109
Gargarensis
:-]

Likes (Received): 232

so it seems we are looking at 1 level with observation deck and 2 with restaurants, for L100, 101, 102. sounds good!
Gargarensis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 09:31 AM   #31110
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
Is it me but this pic of 1wtc towering over the surrounding buildings reminds me of Mont Saint-Michel in Normandy France .

Last edited by yankee fan for life; April 6th, 2012 at 09:42 AM.
yankee fan for life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 02:59 PM   #31111
isdmd10

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnapp1

IMO naming it the Freedom Tower was a mistake. I hated it from the start and am glad they changed it. 1 World Trade Center has so much more relevance and meaning.
It's far more professional and mature.
isdmd10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 05:15 PM   #31112
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Your opinion means very little because you are not involved in the process, and are only looking at the problem from a limited external viewpoint.
Funny, I was just thinking the same thing about yours! Have a nice day!
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #31113
SidewalkSuper

Likes (Received): 5

With all the retrograde redesigns being implemented (e.g. 20 story bunker, the spire, and west side plaza for Tower 1), and the multiple "Checkpoint Charlies" to be put in place by the New York Paranoid Delusionals (aka the NYPD), the name for this complex of buildings needs to be changed to the World Trade Fortress. It can then be be referred to by a more appropriate acronym, WTF.
SidewalkSuper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #31114
Blizzy
Perfect Player

Likes (Received): 89

Nice
Blizzy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #31115
babybackribs2314

Likes (Received): 545

Yesterday, full update: http://newyorkyimby.blogspot.com/201...rade.html#more

babybackribs2314 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 06:53 PM   #31116
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewalkSuper View Post
With all the retrograde redesigns being implemented (e.g. 20 story bunker, the spire, and west side plaza for Tower 1), and the multiple "Checkpoint Charlies" to be put in place by the New York Paranoid Delusionals (aka the NYPD), the name for this complex of buildings needs to be changed to the World Trade Fortress. It can then be be referred to by a more appropriate acronym, WTF.
Great post..
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 07:03 PM   #31117
pnapp1
Die-Hard New Yorker!

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewalkSuper View Post
Good One!
pnapp1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 07:35 PM   #31118
DennysAndrade
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee fan for life View Post
Is it me but this pic of 1wtc towering over the surrounding buildings reminds me of Mont Saint-Michel in Normandy France .
Very nice!
DennysAndrade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 08:03 PM   #31119
arquifab

Likes (Received): 107

Look at this photo, taken today at 12:51 pm ET, by Earthcam.
How close do you think that airplane is flying?

arquifab no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 08:12 PM   #31120
Rockmont

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargarensis View Post
so it seems we are looking at 1 level with observation deck and 2 with restaurants, for L100, 101, 102. sounds good!

OK, I think this bears repeating again. This is an excerpt from my post, a couple of weeks ago:

I'm going to be expecting something spectacular on that observation deck, inside there, that is yet to be determined, but something spectacular. Something Blockbuster. Something breathtaking. Hear that Silverstein? Hear that, Port Authority?, and/or whoever else is involved in this?

It was in responce to the assertion that there would be no restaraunt on the top levels. I mean one of the caliber of "Windows of the World"
Rockmont no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center