daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 15th, 2007, 11:21 PM   #3121
LoKeY

Likes (Received): 26

Wasnt it meant to be as iconic as the twins were? That means clear lines and a simple design that's easy to remember. They sure got it right

Nova Gorica - Slovenija
LoKeY no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 16th, 2007, 12:37 AM   #3122
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
^ Really? Then what about its unique shape, height, amazing spire, great facade(s), and high status in the green community?

If some people really think it has nothing to do with freedom because America 'doesn't have any,' then they're just kidding them[uneducated]selves. The new WTC's about spitting on the BS ideals that destroyed the old towers.
Before you say that it's an original design, notice how similar it looks with the SWFC and the Astana Towers and then tell me if it's an original idea.

Old November 16th, 2007, 12:42 AM   #3123
Tumbling Dice

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
^ Really? Then what about its unique shape, height, amazing spire, great facade(s), and high status in the green community?

That 'amazing spire' looks more like TV mast to me.

You can't call that a spire.
Tumbling Dice no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 12:57 AM   #3124
Croat
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanamerican View Post
You have to, or you are OT and your comments will be cancelled.
Maybe though you have never herd of the word skyscraper ( what is the tallest building in croatia? )
The tallest building in Croatia is Plomin Power Station Chimney (340 m), tallest chimney in Europe and 3th in world.
Croatia had >100m buildings before Columbus find America.
Croat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 01:01 AM   #3125
Croat
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalB View Post
Before you say that it's an original design, notice how similar it looks with the SWFC and the Astana Towers and then tell me if it's an original idea.

There is one (finished) tower at Dubai Creek very similar to SFC! Design, not size of course!
Croat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 01:05 AM   #3126
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

Talb, the argument of originality in architecture is probably the weakest. There is nothing 'original' in architecture unless you go to the far extremes of it (deconstructivism). There are always elements of one building in other designs. As my first year architecture professor told me, "you all have to learn to be salespersons because there is no 'original' design out there".

Besides, imitation is the best for of flattery. :P

Last edited by ramvid01; November 16th, 2007 at 02:21 AM.
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 02:09 AM   #3127
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo600 View Post

Your opinion is invalid here because it is a spire. Which other spire can change colors and emit beams of light into the sky? Which other spire is as massive and has such a sharp design. It is no pole, and it's so big that it contains a TV mast within it.

Trying to compare other towers to FT and saying that it isn't unique is like trying to compare 2IFC to the tallest building in Jersey and saying 2IFC isn't good because you see building that quasi looks like it. The current design for the Freedom Tower came from the NYSE Tower, which was way before anything that even comes close to looking like 1WTC.

Last edited by Ebola; November 16th, 2007 at 02:18 AM.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 02:23 AM   #3128
ElVoltageDR
Happy to be here

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalB View Post

The SWFC certainly is similar to the FT, but they're not the same, hence each is original in it's own way (SWFC is more curvy while the FT is a bit more boxy). Then it's really funny that you post the Astana Towers because they were designed after the FT, so they're drawing from the original rather than the other way around.
ElVoltageDR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 02:42 AM   #3129
sapmi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 96

The thing I hate the most about Freedom Tower is not the design, it's the height. They should have built it much higher!
sapmi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 03:32 AM   #3130
walli
BANNED

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo600 View Post

It is somewhat of a trend in New York. Take a look at the NY Times Tower for another example. It is a 700 some odd foot building, with a 400 foot antenna at the top that is being called a spire. That antenna is over 50% the height of the functional portion of the building! There is a thread for that one here in the 'supertalls' group as a result of that calculation!

walli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 04:21 AM   #3131
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

No offense walli, but although I do agree with you on my dislike of antennas, calling it a 'trend' because of three buildings is a bit of a stretch.

Last edited by ramvid01; November 16th, 2007 at 07:23 AM. Reason: I seem to always be missing words in my sentences...
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 04:29 AM   #3132
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Yeah, that's exactly what I said.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 04:38 AM   #3133
LoKeY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croat View Post
The tallest building in Croatia is Plomin Power Station Chimney (340 m), tallest chimney in Europe and 3th in world.
If u have to spam this topic already, at least know that the tallest chimney in Europe is in Trbovlje, Slovenia at 360m/1181' (also the tallest concrete structure in Europe)

To get at least somewheat on topic: It could rival the FT to roof height

Nova Gorica - Slovenija
Old November 16th, 2007, 05:04 AM   #3134
Tumbling Dice

Likes (Received): 1

This ! is a spire ...

Tumbling Dice no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 05:25 AM   #3135
LoKeY

That was a spire in the 1930's Time for sth new

Nova Gorica - Slovenija
Old November 16th, 2007, 05:35 AM   #3136
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croat View Post
Dude, you really need to understand the difference between a building and a simple structure. If you talk about chimney, then I'll start to talk about antennas, and the KVLY-TV mast in north dakota still looks from above at every one (since the WTB now is still 601 meters and this structure is 628 meters).

As for history, I'm from Rome, so don't give me the crap, because we were building the colosseum while you'r country was full only with trees.
(btw, bringing up the history card is really sad, because it dimonstrates how america was able to surpass the entire world with its constructions in only a few centuries.. and show how much europeans were able to destroy each other with sensless wars).

To go back on current discussion, sincerely I don't care if the design of the FT isn't original. There are hardly any buildings left you can define original with the quantity of buildings that have been built and that are still going up.

So TalB, just drop you'r whining, because if we look at the old WTC, they were original as much as two boxes containing spaghetti with the only difference of the color, that was a sad shade of grey (that doesn't mean that they were not a wonderful achevement when they were built and an admirable landmrk, but they didn't have an original design, due especially for engineering necessities).
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 05:58 AM   #3137
koolkid

Likes (Received): 133

They were among the first (twin tower) supertalls. Sure the twin towers wouldn't be considered original today because we already have tons of twin tower boxes around but in its day it certainly was quite original...
Old November 16th, 2007, 06:02 AM   #3138
outbackbox

Likes (Received): 2

Every1 is just jealous that NY is the center of the universe! Get over it - spire or no spire u cant deny NY is the leader of skyscrapers !!!! Sorry HK Not trying to sound patriotic just realistic - back to WTC thread now
outbackbox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 06:11 AM   #3139
phillybud

Likes (Received): 35

A great comeback

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanamerican View Post

As for history, I'm from Rome, so don't give me the crap, because we were building the colosseum while you'r country was full only with trees.
(btw, bringing up the history card is really sad, because it dimonstrates how america was able to surpass the entire world with its constructions in only a few centuries.. and show how much europeans were able to destroy each other with sensless wars).

This reminds me of a wonderful anecdote about Benjamin Disraeli, the 19th Century Prime Minister of British Empire. Disraeli, in retort to a English lord from a long distinguished line who had criticized Disraeli's Jewish family roots, said something like "Sir, when your ancestors were painting their faces blue and climbing trees naked, mine were building Jerusalem and consecrating the Great Temple of the Lord!"
Old November 16th, 2007, 06:18 AM   #3140
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

The stupidity going on in here is laughable. Talb with the same tired opinion of this thing. Go back 10 pages and he wrote the same thing.. then go back 4 pages and there it is again.. then 2.. then 4.. then 1.. and so on.. he just keeps refrshing it so everyon gets a look.

And the croatian guy... umm... i repeat.. the... croatian.. guy.. wants to be a critic.. lmfao. Wow this page needs yet another clean up.. Political nonsense? Talb.. again defying the mods??? This thing going off topic...

Why in the world trade center thread.? Put this building in London and the scraper junkies there would go ape sht and they know it.. pop it over in Istanul and it is an instant hit..

Ny, however.. in the financial district.. it blows? Wierd standards guys.. this thread is garbage once again.. congrats to all the losers who came in here and fked up the good vibe it was finally starting to get.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center