daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 16th, 2007, 07:12 AM   #3141
walli
BANNED

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post
No offense walli, but although I do agree with you my dislike of antennas, calling it a 'trend' because of three buildings is a bit of a stretch.
Yeah I probably shouldn't have used the word trend with just 'the antenna pole to boost height' subject. It just seems that many projects are doing somewhat dubious things trying to beef up their numbers (like identifying floor #2 as floor #21). Maybe if we took all of the 'cooking the numbers' things, it would qualify as a trend?
walli no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 16th, 2007, 07:18 AM   #3142
walli
BANNED

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave_canem View Post
That was a spire in the 1930's Time for sth new
Hey, check out this 213m (700') building! It is one floor with a 'new age' mast!

No worries Vertigo600, there are still a few architects who know how to build real spires. Cesar Pelli being an excellent example with the Petronas Towers (with absolutely awesome cladding also).
walli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 09:22 AM   #3143
skyperu34
TRUXILLO del PERU !!!

Likes (Received): 808

Hey ! Its about Freedom Tower and its construction progress !

I took these photos on Saturday, November 10th...

Ground Zero from helicopter (the helicopter tour at 30th street with 12th avenue)

Cranes can be seen here behind and between the World Financial towers

Ground Zero. I think thats the core rising up and soon to surpass street level

More views from very close (Scotiabank entrance)

Your friend, moderator and forumer SkyPeru34, appreciating this great project under construction !

Diseño, arquitectura, arte y naturaleza en:

skyperu34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #3144
Croat
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanamerican View Post
Dude, you really need to understand the difference between a building and a simple structure. If you talk about chimney, then I'll start to talk about antennas, and the KVLY-TV mast in north dakota still looks from above at every one (since the WTB now is still 601 meters and this structure is 628 meters).

As for history, I'm from Rome, so don't give me the crap, because we were building the colosseum while you'r country was full only with trees.
(btw, bringing up the history card is really sad, because it dimonstrates how america was able to surpass the entire world with its constructions in only a few centuries.. and show how much europeans were able to destroy each other with sensless wars).

To go back on current discussion, sincerely I don't care if the design of the FT isn't original. There are hardly any buildings left you can define original with the quantity of buildings that have been built and that are still going up.

So TalB, just drop you'r whining, because if we look at the old WTC, they were original as much as two boxes containing spaghetti with the only difference of the color, that was a sad shade of grey (that doesn't mean that they were not a wonderful achevement when they were built and an admirable landmrk, but they didn't have an original design, due especially for engineering necessities).
Of course I understand difference between a building and structure, I'm an architecture student, not some quasi pizza-maker in NYC suburb like you.

About history; Greek cities in Croatia are far more older then Roman Colosseum, and concrete was used in our northern regions 5000 years before Romans.
American buildings are safe just because you're geographically isolated from World, so your words doesn't make sense.
Croat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 04:13 PM   #3145
Croat
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapmi View Post
The thing I hate the most about Freedom Tower is not the design, it's the height. They should have built it much higher!

I agree.
Croat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 04:32 PM   #3146
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 2718

I know it is impossible now, but i still hope that they will increase the height (roof 541m ) Total height +660m
But, just a dream

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF André Vergauwen Cup (1): 2017
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

EJU Golden League (1): 2014
www.sercan.de no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #3147
SDK4
Florida

Likes (Received): 500

Great pictures, I can't wait till we see some serious vertical construction on the site. Its going to look amazing.
SDK4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 05:53 PM   #3148
Schmeek

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanamerican View Post
(btw, bringing up the history card is really sad, because it dimonstrates how america was able to surpass the entire world with its constructions in only a few centuries.. and show how much europeans were able to destroy each other with sensless wars).
Sorry to add to the negative detraction from the thread topic, but this is a silly statement. You speak as if the Americans were a native tribe who started with spears and flint and suddenly rose majestically to trump all other humanity.....
The Americans, as you should well know were not always Americans. They were Europeans who 'found' a huge new playground which was not constrained by the politics or conflicts of Europe. In effect the people living there now are still effectively European(although they'd never want to admit it - and I don't blame them). Of course a short albeit rich history has given them their own identity, and fairplay to them. But America is still a relatively new country, and without taking away credit where it is due(the achievements over the last few centuries are nothing short of phenomenal), it must be viewed in context. Do you believe if mankind were to find a new world/planet to inhabit, that we would charge in there and re-create Earth? No of course we wouldn't, and nor did they re-create europe in America.
And as to sensless wars - you don't even wanna go there...

nygirl - Of course people would go mad if this was to be built elsewhere eg London. But this isn't London, where the highest building is only 771ft(235m). Not only is it being built in the city most synonymous with scrapers, the recent history of the site makes it the most interesting in the world to the public and media alike. I do like the design, and am not writing it off in any way. But it does somehow fail to live up to the hype. It needs more height IMO.

Last edited by Schmeek; November 16th, 2007 at 05:59 PM.
Schmeek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 06:02 PM   #3149
charger1966

Likes (Received): 10

NYGirl

NYGirl please PM me. I would like to talk to you in private, Thanks
Lance

PS please clean your PM 's so more can be sent.
charger1966 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 06:03 PM   #3150
Tumbling Dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by walli View Post
No worries Vertigo600, there are still a few architects who know how to build real spires. Cesar Pelli being an excellent example with the Petronas Towers (with absolutely awesome cladding also).
Agreed. Superb job they did on that project.
Tumbling Dice no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #3151
ElVoltageDR
Happy to be here

Likes (Received): 59

I love those helicopter shots skyperu, thanks for posting them
ElVoltageDR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 06:16 PM   #3152
Tumbling Dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl View Post
The stupidity going on in here is laughable. Talb with the same tired opinion of this thing. Go back 10 pages and he wrote the same thing.. then go back 4 pages and there it is again.. then 2.. then 4.. then 1.. and so on.. he just keeps refrshing it so everyon gets a look.

And the croatian guy... umm... i repeat.. the... croatian.. guy.. wants to be a critic.. lmfao. Wow this page needs yet another clean up.. Political nonsense? Talb.. again defying the mods??? This thing going off topic...

Why in the world trade center thread.? Put this building in London and the scraper junkies there would go ape sht and they know it.. pop it over in Istanul and it is an instant hit..

Ny, however.. in the financial district.. it blows? Wierd standards guys.. this thread is garbage once again.. congrats to all the losers who came in here and fked up the good vibe it was finally starting to get.
Are you on crack ?? or do you just drink way too much coffee ??

This is a thread on a skyscraper forum - it's about sharing information and opinions, not about 'good vibes' .. if it's good vibes you want I suggest a Beach Boys forum or a Woodstock forum or a meditation forum.

As an Englishman let me assure you I wouldn't think any more or less of the design of the building if it were in London or elsewhere on the planet.

With the Empire State Building New York changed the world, here was your chance to do it again, instead we get a sleek office block with a disproportionate TV antenna on top. Oooops.
Tumbling Dice no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 08:05 PM   #3153
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by philvia View Post
btw anyone know off the top of their head where i could find that map that shows the locations for all the towers? i need it for school cause actually i have a speech in the morning about the new wtc lmao

i made a 99
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 09:02 PM   #3154
zYgote

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo600 View Post

This is a thread on a skyscraper forum - it's about sharing information and opinions, not about 'good vibes' .. if it's good vibes you want I suggest a Beach Boys forum or a Woodstock forum or a meditation forum.

As an Englishman let me assure you I wouldn't think any more or less of the design of the building if it were in London or elsewhere on the planet.

With the Empire State Building New York changed the world, here was your chance to do it again, instead we get a sleek office block with a disproportionate TV antenna on top. Oooops.
The argument is it's the same tired crap over and over and over. You don't like it, we get it. Are you going to change it? No. Are you going to bitch about the same thing over and over to annoy everyone who doesn't hate it. Yes.

Confirm/Deny?
zYgote no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 09:40 PM   #3155
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

This thread is dead, thanks to the asses who can't hold in their utter BS. Amazing how people can't just quit and have to trash one of the most important threads. Opinions about what it should have been and how the spire shouldn't be counted should be banned.

There needs to be a new one with all of the WTC towers since they'll be starting up in a few weeks.

Last edited by Ebola; November 16th, 2007 at 09:45 PM.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 10:38 PM   #3156
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo600 View Post

Some people just can't take it when others disagree with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElVoltageDR
The SWFC certainly is similar to the FT, but they're not the same, hence each is original in it's own way (SWFC is more curvy while the FT is a bit more boxy). Then it's really funny that you post the Astana Towers because they were designed after the FT, so they're drawing from the original rather than the other way around.
The SWFC started construction in 1997, so it's the original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl
The stupidity going on in here is laughable. Talb with the same tired opinion of this thing. Go back 10 pages and he wrote the same thing.. then go back 4 pages and there it is again.. then 2.. then 4.. then 1.. and so on.. he just keeps refrshing it so everyon gets a look.

And the croatian guy... umm... i repeat.. the... croatian.. guy.. wants to be a critic.. lmfao. Wow this page needs yet another clean up.. Political nonsense? Talb.. again defying the mods??? This thing going off topic...
You really need to chill nygirl, and cut with the scapegoating and stereotypes that you continuosly do on me and on others here.
Old November 16th, 2007, 11:09 PM   #3157
Daquan13
BANNED

Likes (Received): 31

1. Hahahahaha!! Pot, this is Kettle. Kettle, meet Pot.

I think you should try to learn that one as well yourself. If your advice is supposed to be so-called good for others, then it should be good for you. Who was it that said: "I just get so pissed off to no end when you guys call the Twins ugly boxes!!"? Hmm? Who was it that called the Freedom Tower all those al Quaeda-related names? Hmm?

2. That may be true, but I'm not sure.

3. Chill? Why is it that everytime that someone says something that you don't agree with, you constantly accuse them of being sterotypical? That's another line of yours that's really getting old.

Reiminiscent of sentense 1.

Last edited by Daquan13; November 17th, 2007 at 02:25 PM.
Daquan13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 12:21 AM   #3158
ElVoltageDR
Happy to be here

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalB View Post
The SWFC started construction in 1997, so it's the original.
??? They're similar but not the same. Have you seen pics of SWFC? From different angles? You could say this may be the same and that may be the same, but overall both are different designs. And you posted the Astana Towers which COPY the FT.
ElVoltageDR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #3159
TheGlobalizer

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croat View Post
Of course I understand difference between a building and structure, I'm an architecture student, not some quasi pizza-maker in NYC suburb like you.
TheGlobalizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 12:50 AM   #3160
skyperu34
TRUXILLO del PERU !!!

Likes (Received): 808

This thread is becoming garbage because of some bad posters..... Someone tries to post or contribute with photos or info in order to highlight this project, but stupidity goes beyond this...

Diseño, arquitectura, arte y naturaleza en:

skyperu34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center