daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 1st, 2012, 08:14 AM   #31701
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Chuck: GSA deal by summer

By Steve Cuozzo,
May 1, 2012

"The General Services Administration has vowed to sign a long-delayed lease at 1 World Trade Center by the summer, Sen. Chuck Schumer told us last night.
“I spoke to [GSA acting administrator] Daniel Tangherlini and he said, ‘We’ll get it done by summer,’ ” Schumer said.
Schumer added, “We called Douglas Durst [the Port Authority’s 1 WTC partner], and he said he needs it by around July 4.
“So we’re going to push the GSA to do that,” Schumer said.
The pending, 300,000 square-foot lease is significant not only for its size, but because it’d push the 3 million square-foot tower over the psychologically crucial 50 percent-leased mark.
PA executive director Patrick Foye, who’s been hyping the tower’s milestone in rising taller than the Empire State Building, has said that 55 percent of the skyscraper is “expected” to be leased — which is not the same as actually leased.
We reported last week that Schumer, a staunch proponent of new office development, was prodding the GSA to complete the 1 WTC deal in light of the agency’s paralysis over the recent spending scandal.
He said, “It’s very important to private-sector tenants to know that 1 World Trade is more than 50 percent leased — not only companies interested in that building, but also in 4 World Trade Center,” which so far has inked only the PA and possibly a city agency as tenants.
Condé Nast signed for 1 million square feet and Beijing Vantone for 200,000 square feet at 1 WTC.
The GSA signed a term sheet with the PA and Durst last summer. The lease — originally meant to be twice as large — has been in negotiation for five years.
The PA and Durst declined comment. Reps for the GSA could not immediately be reached."
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2012, 09:16 AM   #31702
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

image hosted on flickr

One World Trade Center Officially Becomes the Tallest Building in NYC Today (April 30, 2012) by NYC♥NYC, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

One World Trade Center Officially Becomes the Tallest Building in NYC Today (April 30, 2012) by NYC♥NYC, on Flickr
Old May 1st, 2012, 09:52 AM   #31703
empireofthesun
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

just beautiful.

I have a question. Both One World Trade Centre and the North Tower of the WTC measure to 417m at their roof. Yet, the WTC had its highest floor at a highest measurement than One World Trade, something like 411m, with One World Trade having its highest floor at just 401m. Is there going to be an unoccupied floor space in One World Trade that will tip it off to 417 metres ?
empireofthesun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 11:12 AM   #31704
SkyHighSevenNine

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
It took them 6 years to surpass ESB where as ESB was build in 1 year and 2 months in 1930's.
Riiiight... because they only had to install dial-up internet in the ESB back in the 30's.
SkyHighSevenNine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 11:57 AM   #31705
The seventh shape
Master of his domain

Likes (Received): 817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapelo View Post
There isn't a 6WTC in the plans. Unless the proposed performing arts center is given that moniker. Even 5WTC is very iffy at this point.
That would be ridiculous, it would be as if they can't count right.
The seventh shape no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 12:22 PM   #31706
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3093

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMruitenberg View Post
PARTY!!

I'm realy happy about this, but I am ashamed that I'm Dutch, when I read all the comments about this on a news site everyone was saying a lot of stupid things... Like: "who cares?" and that it wassn't respectvul that it was higher and a lot of bad things about the "real story" about it... :$
+ the most comments are realy weird...
And I don't understand.

P.S. Sorry for the typing... I'm mad!!
Don't be ashamed that your Dutch...maybe just a bit whistful that you gave away a place called New Amsterdam.......Just think if you hung in there you could claim this building that is even taller than one of your windmills.........just kidding. I love The Netherlands......but then....if only hey?
Old May 1st, 2012, 12:27 PM   #31707
wrebbitrocks
I <3 Marimba

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastNYC View Post
DO THEY NOT HAVE A TOWER 6 THEY HAVE 1,2,3,4,5, AND 7 WHAT ARE THER GOING TO DO ABOUT 6
i dont get why they have to be towers, for all im concerned each structure is a wtc# just like former 4,5,6 were just 8/9 story knubs and 3 a 22 floor hotel. the perfermance center, museum, and transport hubs could all be viable options in case the others dont make it off the ground (hopefully they do, though). do any of the towers have hotel included like the old marriott? or maybe the millenium should suffice
wrebbitrocks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 12:33 PM   #31708
wrebbitrocks
I <3 Marimba

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO143 View Post
did anyone else notice the space shuttle piggybacking the airplane right here? LOL
wrebbitrocks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 01:57 PM   #31709
Informative

Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by empireofthesun View Post
just beautiful.

I have a question. Both One World Trade Centre and the North Tower of the WTC measure to 417m at their roof. Yet, the WTC had its highest floor at a highest measurement than One World Trade, something like 411m, with One World Trade having its highest floor at just 401m. Is there going to be an unoccupied floor space in One World Trade that will tip it off to 417 metres ?
The Original One World Trade Center and Two World Trade Center were actually not the same height.

One World Trade Center's Roof Height was: 417M
Two World Trade Center's Roof Height was: 415M

2WTC was actually always slightly shorter haha

The new One WTC has the exact same Roof Height as the original One WTC: 417M, and the new Two WTC is 387.1 Roof Height and 415 Antenna Spire, so they will look very impressive and bring back the Skyline
Informative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 02:00 PM   #31710
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28151

WTC1 becoming the tallest in NY made the news throughout Europe. It definitely has symbolic value as well.
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 03:20 PM   #31711
RandomNameTag
Skyscraper fan

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
WTC1 becoming the tallest in NY made the news throughout Europe. It definitely has symbolic value as well.
I don't remember hearing much of the Shard's TO, outside of the European media.

Heck, I don't even remember the Burj Khalifa having this much coverage when it became world's tallest when it was still U/C.

Shows you the power New York still has over the rest of the world.
RandomNameTag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 03:22 PM   #31712
RandomNameTag
Skyscraper fan

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informative View Post
The Original One World Trade Center and Two World Trade Center were actually not the same height.

One World Trade Center's Roof Height was: 417M
Two World Trade Center's Roof Height was: 415M

2WTC was actually always slightly shorter haha

The new One WTC has the exact same Roof Height as the original One WTC: 417M, and the new Two WTC is 387.1 Roof Height and 415 Antenna Spire, so they will look very impressive and bring back the Skyline
I find it funny people called them twin towers when they really wern't twins. Why did the architect give that 2 meter inbalance to the original towers anyway?
RandomNameTag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 03:40 PM   #31713
Guy Noir

Likes (Received): 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomNameTag View Post

Heck, I don't even remember the Burj Khalifa having this much coverage when it became world's tallest when it was still U/C.

While watching the Shard thread I've ended up seeing a lot of London, and it's ended up at the top of my 'wanna go there' list.
Guy Noir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 04:43 PM   #31714
Blackpool88

Likes (Received): 159

Quote:

I think it's actually more of the symbolic nature of this tower rather than the tower itself that made the headlines.
Blackpool88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 05:10 PM   #31715
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
I find it funny people called them twin towers when they really wern't twins. Why did the architect give that 2 meter inbalance to the original towers anyway?
Original Tower One was taller due to the extra structure needed to support the antenna above.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 07:14 PM   #31716
Jex7844
La Défenseholic

Likes (Received): 2916

Photos by Lucas Jackson (AFP) for LeParisien.fr

http://www.leparisien.fr/internation...=1#infoBulles1
Old May 1st, 2012, 07:18 PM   #31717
b5254

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrebbitrocks View Post
did anyone else notice the space shuttle piggybacking the airplane right here? LOL
I suppose that is Enterprise heading for Intrepid museum?
b5254 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 07:39 PM   #31718
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrebbitrocks View Post
Do you not watch the news? (or read the thread?) That's how they have moved the shuttle around the world for almost 40 years.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 07:46 PM   #31719
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Hipsters working in NASA..Moving big things with a truck is too mainstream..
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 07:57 PM   #31720
GeoDude
GeoDude

Likes (Received): 206

i dont mean to offend anyone but i hate the fact people are still calling it the Freedom Tower. i think it bothers me because its almost like a 'we're asking for it' type of thing, and the media only perpetuates it. When you think about it, One World Trade Center is a much better and appropriate name for our country and what we believe in. Its not just an address, think about the connotation, mainly 'One World.' One World seems so much more welcoming, worldly, non-instigating, title. considering what happened over a decade ago and the fact that NYC is often regarded as the capital of the world, 'One World Trade Center' is a perfect name (imo of course)

@Chaserino
Architecture & Travel

USA - Canada - Mexico - Costa Rica - Brazil - Peru - Australia - New Zealand - China - England - France - Netherlands - Spain - Italy - Germany - Monaco - Vatican City - Czech Republic - Hungary - Turkey - Denmark - Sweden - Morocco - Portugal - Switzerland - Greece - Austria - Liechtenstein - Cyprus - Croatia - Belgium - Slovakia - United Arab Emirates - Poland - Ukraine - Romania - Ireland - Malta - Vietnam - Myanmar - Japan - India - Slovenia - South Africa - Zimbabwe - Zambia - Botswana - Israel
GeoDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center