daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 5th, 2012, 05:44 PM   #31861
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveclassicrock7 View Post
An antennae is still an antennae, but the CTBUH rules on spires and antennas is pretty stupid anyways. So lets just say 1 WTC is America's tallest building by pinnacle, and Sears is America's tallest building by roof. Just let them share the glory so that everyone is happy.
Finally a sensible post. The original north tower was shorter than Sears too, so who gives a shit?

Sponsored Links
Old May 5th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #31862
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by The seventh shape View Post
The present tallest buildings in Hong Kong and Guangzhou should be in that diagram. I think they are taller than WTC 1.
No, ICC is 484m and GIFC is 439m. So 1WTC beats them both.

image hosted on flickr

Clouds Of Change by pmarella on Flickr

Last edited by HK999; May 5th, 2012 at 06:19 PM.
HK999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #31863
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
An antennae is still an antennae, but the CTBUH rules on spires and antennas is pretty stupid anyways. So lets just say 1 WTC is America's tallest building by pinnacle, and Sears is America's tallest building by roof. Just let them share the glory so that everyone is happy.
Yea but the broadcast antennae will still have an enclosure so it's still a mast. Also, some guys at SSP contacted Dunst & they replied saying that they will still keep an enclosure and beacon & make it look "terrific." apparently the beacon is going to have a horizontal light like a lighthouse -_-
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #31864
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 25146

Old pic by me

streetscapeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 09:56 PM   #31865
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

As i stated before on previous post for me its not about a matter of height, but a matter of closer and renewal and that's what 1 wtc represents for me .
Old May 5th, 2012, 10:00 PM   #31866
mauzer1

Likes (Received): 5398

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
nice ...

Alon אלון

My photos in panoramio

My Youtube channel
mauzer1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 11:10 PM   #31867
raider12

Likes (Received): 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsonsnose View Post

If they were all built as drawn there China would have nine.
you're not following, them having nine is not a surprise or interesting............also China is the biggest country in population in the world by far and Seoul is a city

Last edited by raider12; May 5th, 2012 at 11:24 PM.
raider12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 11:24 PM   #31868
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron_012 View Post
I am a fan of the new WTC...and New York......my favorite city after my own but reading the few previous posts some reality should be shown where the world is at.....The building to the left of the WTC in Doha was designed and planned and approved to be built here in Melbourne yet was innitially planned to be 680 metres.............I still lament.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Wow man, that's great for Melbourne. Anyone else feel proud to live in the craziest skyscraper generation man has ever seen ?
iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 11:33 PM   #31869
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomNameTag View Post
CTBUH no longer measures roofs (that measurement was dropped in 2009). So Willis only wins in one category, and that's highest occupied floor. Also, CTBUH is leaned towards still calling the antennae a "spire".
Don't know where you heard that, they still measure roofs.
Old May 5th, 2012, 11:45 PM   #31870
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
Finally a sensible post. The original north tower was shorter than Sears too, so who gives a shit?
Exactly, the whole spire and antennae debate is stupid, and makes me wonder why we think of CTBUH as some all knowing leader. Antennae's are still a piece of metal, you technically could remove a spire, so why would they create such a idiotic rule ? Roof and pinnacle are what matters.
Old May 6th, 2012, 12:18 AM   #31871
NewYorkSkyline117

I took these recently in Morristown, NJ- 31 miles out from the city

image hosted on flickr

Look closely on the horizon

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old May 6th, 2012, 12:25 AM   #31872
parsonsnose
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider12 View Post
you're not following, them having nine is not a surprise or interesting............also China is the biggest country in population in the world by far and Seoul is a city

Not to you maybe. I thought it was a pretty crazy statistic myself.

Last edited by parsonsnose; May 6th, 2012 at 12:46 AM.
parsonsnose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 12:49 AM   #31873
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Don't know where you heard that, they still measure roofs.
CTBUH changes height criteria, Burj Dubai height increases
Quote:
lso in response to the changing designs and forms of tall buildings, the Height Committee has elected to discard its previous “Height to Roof” category. “The roof category just doesn’t make sense anymore,” said CTBUH Executive Director Antony Wood. “In the era of the flat-topped modernist tower, a clearly defined roof could usually be identified, but in today’s tall building world—which is increasingly adopting elaborate forms, spires, parapets and other features at the top of the building—it is becoming difficult to determine a ‘roof’ at all, even less so to measure to it.”
The tallest 10 buildings in the world as of November 2009 are shown in the diagrams above, ranked according to the three height categories now recognized by CTBUH. These are: (i) Height to Architectural Top, measured to the topmost architectural feature of the building including spires, but not including antennae, signage, flag poles or other functional-technical equipment; (ii) Height to Highest Occupied Floor, measured to the level of the highest, consistently occupied floor in the building (thus not including service or mechanical areas which experience occasional maintenance access); and (iii) Height to Tip, measured to the highest point of the building, irrespective of material or function of the highest element.

Quote:
Exactly, the whole spire and antennae debate is stupid, and makes me wonder why we think of CTBUH as some all knowing leader. Antennae's are still a piece of metal, you technically could remove a spire, so why would they create such a idiotic rule ? Roof and pinnacle are what matters.
The broadcast antenna fits to the architectural radome, not vice versa. It's somehow a plus added to the original spire idea.

image hosted on flickr

1WTC | Mast and radome enclosure by Otie O'Daniel, on Flickr

Last edited by Otie; May 6th, 2012 at 12:57 AM.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 01:56 AM   #31874
Tommy Boy
MEGATALLS for AMERICA

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron_012 View Post
I am a fan of the new WTC...and New York......my favorite city after my own but reading the few previous posts some reality should be shown where the world is at.....The building to the left of the WTC in Doha was designed and planned and approved to be built here in Melbourne yet was innitially planned to be 680 metres.............I still lament.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
When you see all this skyscrapers who is built and will be built in the near future it's sad to see that New York is falling behind when it comes to scyscrapers. 1wtc looks like nothing in compared to what will be in the future.

I love New York it's the best city in the world and deserves to call itself "The capital of the world" but I want to see at least ONE Megatall skycraper. I think that would have been a discussion around the world that N.Y is back for real.
Tommy Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 02:55 AM   #31875
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

Great photos
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 03:38 AM   #31876
NewYorkSkyline117

If you're talking to me, then thanks
Old May 6th, 2012, 04:22 AM   #31877
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
When you see all this skyscrapers who is built and will be built in the near future it's sad to see that New York is falling behind when it comes to scyscrapers. 1wtc looks like nothing in compared to what will be in the future.

I love New York it's the best city in the world and deserves to call itself "The capital of the world" but I want to see at least ONE Megatall skycraper. I think that would have been a discussion around the world that N.Y is back for real.
The problem is that America is falling behind. Although the Chicago firm for the Chicago spire said that it isn't dead, the chances of it getting built are slim to none. Their aren't any cities besides NYC and Chicago that can step up to the plate, and build America a mega tall. NYC will most likely keep 1 WTC as the tallest for atleast the next two decades, so hopefully Chicago will build a mega tall. But the one thing we have that all the other nations don't is history. We have so many historic buildings, especially gorgeous art deco gems, and that is what sets us apart.
Old May 6th, 2012, 04:57 AM   #31878
fooddude
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

It'll only be a matter of time for an NYC Megatall. Midtown would be perfect. Heck, since everyone seems to want to lease outta midtown due to the better transport hubs, midtown would be a perfect canvas for a 2000 footer. They should X out the current Penn plaza design and make it a huge 2000ft'er, so it doesn't look so similar height-wise to the ESB. Being "Penn plaza/station" makes it the most iconic, appropriate and feasible reason to make a megatall, as compared to lets say a standard or new named building/area, like "hudson yards" etc. Obvious they can't call it "wtc", so I think "Penn Plaza" is their last hope/chance to have a reason/iconic-named-building to build a megatall. Otherwise, wouldn't it be just called some new or weird name?

A midtown Mega-tall would be perfect. It'll be like papa bear (2000ft penn plaza), mama bear (ESB) and baby bear (Chrysler) in midtown and would have such a nice scenic composition.
fooddude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 05:14 AM   #31879
Shaggy_Solo
I am Solo

Likes (Received): 1711

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsg99 View Post
Awesome shot !! Love this.

Banggalah dengan apa yang anda Miliki, bukan apa yang anda Mimpikan.
Bersyukur itu saat ini, Bukan nanti | Matur Nuwun
Shaggy_Solo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 05:22 AM   #31880
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Epic video.

Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center