daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 7th, 2012, 10:17 AM   #31961
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

Amazing diagram, Otie!

Only one thing: the blue stairways (?) outside the building on the right (southern) side did a big jump last week, so that they cannot stop the cladding in this area..
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2012, 10:49 AM   #31962
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Bud View Post
We're supposed to get a 1510 foot supertall here in Philly called the American Commerce Center ... but even though the lot is fenced off (it being used for parking at the moment) and the project has all the approvals required by city, county, and state authorities; the ground has not been broken.
Hate to tell you this, but that building was cancelled.

Quote:
I think 1 wtc next jump should bring it about 1,293 but, i am still hoping they will go for it and bring 1 wtc to 1,313.
That would be great.
iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 11:27 AM   #31963
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach0512 View Post
Osama bin Ladan is DEAD
What the hell are you talking about? I was talking about Kanto! And he did comeback. I'll be blocking you, so there be no further confusion.
Old May 7th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #31964
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

image hosted on flickr

A New Family by dandimar, on Flickr

I wonder how this view will look like once all the towers are completed
Old May 7th, 2012, 01:56 PM   #31965
Gargarensis
:-]

Likes (Received): 232

EPIC, thats what ;- D
Gargarensis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 02:00 PM   #31966
I am he

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandeed View Post
Technically from a Longitudinal and World Time perspective you would be correct.

The British Empire can be thanked for that.
It's not that, its just I lived in NYC for 5 years, and while i loved it, whenever I go to London (like the last 2 days) I can't help but to notice that much more is going on in London recently...Not just the olympics, but music and sport wise etc...I was at the FA cup final on saturday in London, and nothing of that scale happens in NY...baseball is s*** compared to football!!

NYC looks the capital of the world, and looks much more impressive than the british capital on paper, but when you are actually there in person, London is much more exiting anyday hands down!
I am he no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 02:02 PM   #31967
I am he

Likes (Received): 5

London's night club scene is also much more exiting and lively than NYC's...London seems to be much busier and more buzzing even at 3-4am! I am seriously considering moving to London I actually realised how amazing it is after going a few times...NYC always was my favourite city, but now I prefer London as it is definitely on the rise!
I am he no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 02:05 PM   #31968
JCRM2

Likes (Received): 8

It would be nice for the spire to be installed on or before 9/11. It will show that 11 yrs later on the same Tuesday that we lost 2 icons but gained another on the same day.*

Anyways going back to what some of you were saying bout basically NY needs to play catch up to other international cities. Do you notice that no matter how tall Dubai, China, etc..., builds taller, our buildings have always overshadowed theirs. From the ESB, to Sears Tower to Twins to now New 1WTC, we will always remain superior because*we are already the world's most powerful economic power house. What is their to proof? Would it be nice to have a 2,500-3000 footers, in Chicago or NY, honestly NO! Look at Europe, once the world most powerful empire, and their low rise architectural *buildings. Do you think they need 1000-1500 ft skyscrapers to reclaim their power, Hell No! They're already a economic power house. That's what set them apart from America, and then you have us, sometimes refer to the new world, which we adapted the european architectural roots, but build higher. So what Dubai & China building these days are for their characteristic. We good.
JCRM2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #31969
parsonsnose
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

I would agree with most of what you say there, New York doesn't need to play catchup to anywhere. But China is opening up to the world more now, and the scale of the things they are doing is unbelievable. Dubai is just a sideshow compared to that.
parsonsnose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 03:23 PM   #31970
SJM

Likes (Received): 119

Thank you JC! Someone else that agrees with me.
SJM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #31971
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Who cares about competition, it's quality over quantity. Empire State Building, Chrysler Building, AIG, 40 Wall Street, and now One World Trade Center is art in steel and glass. Buildings in Asia are vacant and stand sadly in the smog while the Burj Khalifa merely looks like a broadcast tower because of how slim it is. Buildings nowadays are reflecting the skies and clouds in their facades, but there are no stone or brick art deco buildings that stand out because of their beautiful appearance, not their enormous height. One World Trade Center, as Childs said, is the marker of Ground Zero, the beacon of hope. It's a symbol of power and a phoenix rising from the ashes, while it still maintains a tall skyline. Who cares that the Sears has a higher roof or the courtyard will look like a fortress, it's just there instead of a sad hole in the ground. To all of you foreigners out there, stop castigating America and our buildings because you did not experience what America did and it's extremely selfish.
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 05:26 PM   #31972
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I agree with you that 1WTC is a masterpiece (though it could be at least a little bit taller). But I disagree with you that 9/11 was just an attack against America because it was an attack against the whole western world. We had our soldiers in Afghanistan and Iraq too.
Old May 7th, 2012, 05:33 PM   #31973
CF221

Likes (Received): 811

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
Who cares about competition, it's quality over quantity. Empire State Building, Chrysler Building, AIG, 40 Wall Street, and now One World Trade Center is art in steel and glass. Buildings in Asia are vacant and stand sadly in the smog while the Burj Khalifa merely looks like a broadcast tower because of how slim it is. Buildings nowadays are reflecting the skies and clouds in their facades, but there are no stone or brick art deco buildings that stand out because of their beautiful appearance, not their enormous height. One World Trade Center, as Childs said, is the marker of Ground Zero, the beacon of hope. It's a symbol of power and a phoenix rising from the ashes, while it still maintains a tall skyline. Who cares that the Sears has a higher roof or the courtyard will look like a fortress, it's just there instead of a sad hole in the ground. To all of you foreigners out there, stop castigating America and our buildings because you did not experience what America did and it's extremely selfish.
Yeah, it's funny because they're taking away the many "small details" that give this building a high quality, like the spire, the base, and the small plaza (which as somebody commented, can still be redesigned; thankfully). Hopefully all comes to fruition in a good way to give Americans the iconic tower they deserve.
Old May 7th, 2012, 05:43 PM   #31974
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58027

Stop the offtopic discussion already!

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 05:44 PM   #31975
parsonsnose
BANNED

"To all of you foreigners out there, stop castigating America and our buildings because you did not experience what America did and it's extremely selfish. "

The amount of quality buildings in New York is mind boggling, I don't just mean tall ones. As an example that smallish building right next to one 57 has an absolutely fabulous facade, the detail on it is superb, and it's nothing out of the ordinary in Manhatten.
Like I said New York doesn't need to play catch up, that doesn't mean people can't put forward criticisms if they're valid, why see them as some kind of an attack on America?
Personally, I have no criticisms of this building, it looks fantastic.
Old May 7th, 2012, 05:45 PM   #31976
parsonsnose
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Stop the offtopic discussion already!
F*ck off already.
Old May 7th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #31977
Sarcasticity
Lost in the Big Apple

Likes (Received): 106

I love reading how all these talks about other Asian and Gulf cities are building megatalls like all of them are gonna get off the ground and as if NYC has no projects at all in the coming years. Somebody needs to put that picture of how NYC will look in 2030 again to end this debate

Filipino working in NYC
Sarcasticity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #31978
マイルズ

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasticity View Post
I love reading how all these talks about other Asian and Gulf cities are building megatalls like all of them are gonna get off the ground and as if NYC has no projects at all in the coming years. Somebody needs to put that picture of how NYC will look in 2030 again to end this debate
Found it!

image hosted on flickr

Credit goes to sbarn
マイルズ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 07:33 PM   #31979
cnapan

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindustani View Post
London isnt even the capital of western europe. Its a new millinium. NYC is the only real financial, political, power capital of the world.

London may have been what it was by only till WWII, what NYC did in last 50 yrs is to set itself up.

London is now measured with Mumbai & Beijing, more like 3rd tier financial capitals.

New York is truly "the" capital of the world in every sense. The size, the scope, the economic importance, the "political" importance (UN building), the cultural importance & entertainment importance.

Tier 2 capitals would be. Hong Kong, Shanghai, Tokyo.

Tier 3 capitals would be. London, Paris, Dubai, Beijing, Mumbai etc etc.
Oooh! Get her! She's put London and Paris in the same league as Dubai.

I suppose if the only thing that matters in your world is the shininess of the marble in the foyer of your condo, then sure, Dubai has London licked!

Perhaps there's more to a city than that. It's for precisely the same reason that NYC doesn't have to demonstrate it's a great place by being all needy about a very tall building.

By all means, NYC should have one if it wants one, but not having one won't mean the city is doomed. It just isn't important.

Now if you're a tinpot oil family dictatorshop in the middle east nervously watching your reserves disappear, then no doubt a massive erection is clearly going to help you convince yourself you're the centre of the planet.

cnapan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #31980
patrick989

Likes (Received): 12

Geez, what the hell has happened to this thread lately? It's supposed to be about 1 WTC, not this global competition bullshit! Why is that so difficult to comprehend?
patrick989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center