daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 17th, 2007, 07:55 PM   #3201
deez

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
deez you are right about how much time it took until first visible progress, but dont start again the roof height/spire twin FTs discussion.

PPPLLLLSSS

that was a joke. I don't think anyone on here can bring up these topics and expect any sort of discussion anymore. I was just saying they keep being brought up b/c there's nothing else to discuss. Certainly not my opinions.

I just know we're still in for a Looooooooooooong ride. I remember walking by BOA tower early early 2005 and seeing just the first couple of floors. That bastard just topped out a few months ago, and when you compare BOA to FT, the size differences are obvious.

To imagine discussing every beam that gets put up from now until top-off is just downright depressing. That's my take. I will admit, though, I'm an addict. I check the cams/discussion boards daily. I need to stop. It's too long a ride. I'll check back in in July. Then maybe I'll get excited with the progress.

who am i kidding....
deez no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2007, 10:49 PM   #3202
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

They could cut the height of the base in half. I know I have heard of people who wear their pants over their waist, but on a skyscraper it's just ridicolus. However, the reason why the base was planned like that was to anticipate truck bombings comming from the streets that would be integrated.
Old November 18th, 2007, 11:30 PM   #3203
TalB
Refugee

For the record, this editorial is not pro-Towers.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/11182007...ring_76866.htm
DOWNTOWN DITHERING

November 18, 2007 -- Do Gov. Spitzer and Mayor Bloomberg want to rebuild Ground Zero?

If so, they must move swiftly to remove the dangerous monstrosity that may become the chief obstacle to rebuilding there - that is, the Deutsche Bank building.

Given the bureaucratic inertia that seems to have swallowed up that 9/11-scarred site, you'd think neither Spitzer nor Bloomberg cares much about its future.

Or about the long-term future of Downtown itself, which is counting on a rebirth at Ground Zero that can take place only after the Deutsche Bank building is gone.

Indeed, three months after a fatal fire at the building halted its demolition, the Lower Manhattan Development Corp., a state- and city-controlled entity that owns the property, remains at full stop.

The LMDC is still trying to figure out whether contaminants in the building should be cleaned completely before demolition resumes - or whether both jobs can go ahead simultaneously, as they did before the fire.

Officials also need to settle on contractors for the job. (A key subcontractor, the John Galt Corp., was fired after the blaze.) What are they waiting for?

Meanwhile, preliminary work - bolstering fire safety on the building and repairing some structural damage caused by the fire - is still being completed.

Yet just last month, officials promised that demolition work would have started by now: “We hope the deconstruction will resume at the beginning of November," vowed LMDC Chairman Avi Schick.

Maybe someone should have asked: November of what year?

Now, officials are saying that - assuming the stars line up - work might start next month.

Sure, delay is a hallmark of any operation involving government paper-clip twisters. And federal environmental regulators have doubtless done everything in their power to slow down the demolition.

But this job is different.

For one thing, every day that the building remains standing is another day that it remains a threat to the community.

Remember, the fire wasn't the only calamity at 130 Liberty. A few months before, a 15-foot pipe fell from the building and smashed through the roof of a nearby firehouse, injuring two firefighters. And only days after the blaze, a pallet jack fell, injuring two more of The Bravest.

Beyond that, there's the question of the future of Ground Zero itself.

As The Post's Steve Cuozzo has pointed out, construction work there is inextricably linked to the demolition of the bank tower.

If the structure doesn't get cleared away soon, it may hold up completion of the towers at Ground Zero.

Enough is enough.

Ground Zero should have been finished long ago - and the Deutsche Bank building should be just a bad memory by now.

Spitzer and Bloomberg are letting New Yorkers down by not assuring the building's immediate removal.

How 'bout it, Mike? Eliot?
Old November 19th, 2007, 02:01 AM   #3204
mudvayneimn
Evry City Nds a Blk Box!

Likes (Received): 17

That was an interesting read, thanks TalB. What I don't understand is how The DBB is going to seriously effect the future of the other towers/memorial at the site. I wish they'd finish the process, even if they have to with a diff contractor (seeing as the current really has no care for others lives). Maybe I'm missing something or I just misread, but the only thing I can think of would be a delay in the construction of WTC5. Is there more to this I'm not getting?
Old November 19th, 2007, 02:05 AM   #3205
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

130 Liberty Street has no influence over the Freedom Tower. ^

Once the GS Tower is topped and gets all of its glass, it will be time for this tower to start rising. These next few weeks are only going to get better and better. Towers 3 and 4 will start up in early January and then T2 a few months later, so come next month, there will always be a lot to watch, not that there isn't already. 99 Church Street and Beekman Tower better be completed by 2011.

Last edited by Ebola; November 19th, 2007 at 02:13 AM.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 02:20 AM   #3206
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

The site where the tower stands is needed for the bus garage of the site and thus is pivatol to the garage part of the project. Also the bank shares an important sewer line with 4 WTC and 3 WTC I believe. So although it does not really affect 1 WTC it does affect the other two.
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 03:21 AM   #3207
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

It's already half gone. They will be working on the foundations for the towers even if it's still there.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 01:46 PM   #3208
Monkey9000
£€$$ is more

Likes (Received): 338

What an excellent project, go New York!
Monkey9000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 04:15 PM   #3209
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

When the Freedom Tower's floor count got revised to 82, I thought 78 or 82 floors were not enough to heal the skyline of Lower Manhattan. Now that the floor count got revised again to 108, it may be 2 floors short, but 108 should be enough to heal the skyline.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 06:47 PM   #3210
Fabio1976

Likes (Received): 165

Are they real 108 floors ? Has every floor one roof ( also the first 20 floors ) ?
Fabio1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 07:34 PM   #3211
deez

not to take away attention from the FT or WTC redevelopement, but bids are in today for the Hudson Yards proposals....hard to imagine, but the scope of this project eats the WTC developement is size and scope (i know, i know, WTC redevelopement has more sentiment, importance etc...but this is huge)

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=548689
Old November 19th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #3212
kingsdl76

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez View Post
not to take away attention from the FT or WTC redevelopement, but bids are in today for the Hudson Yards proposals....hard to imagine, but the scope of this project eats the WTC developement is size and scope (i know, i know, WTC redevelopement has more sentiment, importance etc...but this is huge)

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=548689
Yes it does....and I'm thrilled about that!!!......yahooooo!!!
kingsdl76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 10:42 PM   #3213
TalB
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudvayneimn View Post
That was an interesting read, thanks TalB. What I don't understand is how The DBB is going to seriously effect the future of the other towers/memorial at the site. I wish they'd finish the process, even if they have to with a diff contractor (seeing as the current really has no care for others lives). Maybe I'm missing something or I just misread, but the only thing I can think of would be a delay in the construction of WTC5. Is there more to this I'm not getting?
That building was full of asbestos, which is know to have toxic fumes. However, in terms of safety, it should be approached carefully. I know it could throw a wrench in the FT construction, but you can't put a price of safety. Of course this was a study taken by the NY Post, not me, and I don't work for them, so I can't answer how they came up with it.
Old November 20th, 2007, 12:30 AM   #3214
Daquan13
BANNED

Likes (Received): 31

It will NOT interfere with the constr. of the Freedom Tower.

I truly wish that you would stop saying this crap! I complained about this very thing in the new thread that you started. That this shouldn't be posted in this thread. If you don't know for sure about this, and it appears that you don't, then you should not be so quick to run your mouth and say it.

Last edited by Daquan13; December 3rd, 2007 at 08:09 PM.
Daquan13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 12:53 AM   #3215
ScraperStan
U Build it..They Come

Likes (Received): 0

anyone have any pictures? of the current construction?
ScraperStan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 12:59 AM   #3216
ElVoltageDR
Happy to be here

Likes (Received): 59

Just go a page or two back and you'll see some of the latest images.
ElVoltageDR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 11:15 AM   #3217
sequoia

Likes (Received): 3

Good progress, one of my favorite towers!
sequoia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 06:01 PM   #3218
deez

http://www.nysun.com/article/66714
Old November 20th, 2007, 06:41 PM   #3219
Fabio1976

Likes (Received): 165

Are they real 108 floors ? Has every floor one roof ( also the first 20 floors ) ?
Fabio1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #3220
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio1976 View Post
No.
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center