daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 10th, 2012, 09:11 AM   #32221
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveclassicrock7 View Post
NO, the whole F***ing purpose was to show the world that we can come back from devastation stronger then ever, and to restore the skyline.

Well to each its own on this matter.

Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:19 AM   #32222
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee fan for life View Post

Well to each its own on this matter.
I'm seriously stunned right now. Not only do people care only about the height of the building, even when the building is the same what some stupid counsel says about the height is all that matters.

Pure irrational stupidity.
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:29 AM   #32223
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyskunk2 View Post
I'm seriously stunned right now. Not only do people care only about the height of the building, even when the building is the same what some stupid counsel says about the height is all that matters.

Pure irrational stupidity.
Finally someone speaks a rational and logical thought. It's sad to see that a lot of people only care about this because of it's height. Am I the only one that remembers 9/11 ? I eagerly await the day that the WTC is completed, and we have finally rebuilt that area, and people can renew their hope in America.
iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:42 AM   #32224
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

Only to according to your perception of logic, as for me yes i care about its height i'm entitled to my own opinion.

Last edited by yankee fan for life; June 7th, 2012 at 06:27 PM.
yankee fan for life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 10:20 AM   #32225
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3624

Oh my god. That new antenna doesnt looks very permanent.

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 10:45 AM   #32226
roysophai

Likes (Received): 1

the height of the 102nd floor is or was 1,266' 8". If you count the 4-5' column splice you should get the 1,271 feet tall height the PA and the media have been spouting about the tower's current height.

roysophai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 10:46 AM   #32227
fooddude
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
No, everyone is complaining about the appearance, look at this picture. The left looks fine, the right looks worse than rotten garbage.

HAHAHAHA!!!! LOLOOLOLOL!

What is that?!?? Chicken wire? Barbed wire? Where'd they get that design and material?? ..the local Home Depot store??? I bet it cost's 0.50 a sq foot... way to save your money jerks!!!
fooddude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #32228
fooddude
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee fan for life View Post
I am done with 1 wtc see you guys at 432 park ave forum.
Yup..my thoughts exactly..i've already been peepin the 432park thread, and don't gorget the newest proposed - 225west..which doesn't even have any renders or height specs/info yet....hopefully, this one will be our Western-hemisphere, Usa and NYC King!

Crossing fingers... 225West is our last hope for a true king, this decade. Hoping to at least beat Sears' roof and also tip/spire/antenna height.

fooddude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 11:19 AM   #32229
599GTB

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
NO, the whole F***ing purpose was to show the world that we can come back from devastation stronger then ever, and to restore the skyline.
In WHAT ways did we come back "stronger than ever"?

HAHAHAHAHA.

1 WTC isn't an architectural masterpiece in the slightest. It's a tapered box with an Office Depot barbwire jutting out from the roof. 2 might never be built. 3 was reduced in height, watered down in design and might never be built either. 4 is just a boring building.

So we are back "stronger than ever" because of a single boring building that is isn't even complete 11 YEARS LATER? Even Mexico could put up a building, do it but theirs would have been built LONG ago.

Unfinished cheapened complex, traveling is stressful, the WTC complex, when it's completed in 50 years will forever be a military state of bomb sniffing dogs, snipers, extraordinary high security and we are back stronger than ever!?

Really? In a country where supertalls like the Empire State Building could be put up in ONE year, this lone ratchet looking building that just now coming along 11 years later is a symbol of our "come back"? If this sad catastrophe known as the WTC rebuilding is a symbol of our comeback, then this country is so pathetic.

Last edited by 599GTB; May 10th, 2012 at 11:32 AM.
599GTB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 11:31 AM   #32230
Lawrence7
Lawrence

Likes (Received): 2

Wow, what a shame about the spire. The original design with the enclosure looked great too.

As much as I like this new complex I think they got it all wrong from the start, they should have made only 2 towers to free up finances to make this building around 2400ft (including spire).
Lawrence7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 11:50 AM   #32231
Varghedin
Don't feed the vampire.

Likes (Received): 24

Putting a fat white stick on top of a building doesn't make it 1776 feet any more than me having huge spiky hair makes me 7 foot tall. The actual building is just as large, smooth and elegant as it was before. It doesn't lose its symbolic value either - it will still stand in glory upon the site where all those people died. The whole spire vs antenna thing is ridiculous - it's a stupid metal pole and no matter what you call it that won't change. I say toss the damn thing away entirely while you're at it.
Varghedin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #32232
Gargarensis
:-]

Likes (Received): 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
The antenna structure was always there, just decided to remove the radome enclosure. There was never a redesign, nor a modification of the antenna.

image hosted on flickr

Antenna at 1WTC by Otie O'Daniel, on Flickr
i quite like the antenna on the left. there is a functional aesthetic to it that I find quite beautiful. While I also liked the spire, im starting to feel it looks too much like a cigar.

at any rate i never really perceived 1wtc as a 1776 foot building despite the 'publicity' advertising it as such. just like wearing higher shoes or wearing a big hat doesn't really make you a taller person
Gargarensis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #32233
599GTB

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varghedin View Post
Putting a fat white stick on top of a building doesn't make it 1776 feet any more than me having huge spiky hair makes me 7 foot tall. The actual building is just as large, smooth and elegant as it was before. It doesn't lose its symbolic value either - it will still stand in glory upon the site where all those people died. The whole spire vs antenna thing is ridiculous - it's a stupid metal pole and no matter what you call it that won't change. I say toss the damn thing away entirely while you're at it.
The fat white "stick" gave the building presence. It would LOOK like an actual 1,776 ft from afar because the spire was very fat and looked very much part of the building. Now with some disgusting tiny invisible toothpick, the building very much looks its short pathetic 1,300 ft height.

Oh well, there is always the Hudson Yards. Those new twins look gorgeous. I hope this WTC complex fails and all the business flows to the Hudson Yards. Well it is already a failure but most people are too scared to admit it. I don't care. This complex is a complete and utter failure. 11 years later and we barely have one building with with its beacon being a trashy antenna. Not even a proper spire like the Chrysler or Empire State. A flat top with a ghetto antenna. Sad.

Last edited by 599GTB; May 10th, 2012 at 12:01 PM.
599GTB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 12:04 PM   #32234
SkyHighSevenNine

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Stronger in what sense?
SkyHighSevenNine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 12:54 PM   #32235
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

My god have they ruined 1 wtc. What the hell are these people thinking?????!!?!?

I had real hopes for the new wtc. Seems the only part built to plan was the memorial waterfalls. Such a shame.
Old May 10th, 2012, 12:56 PM   #32236
comet the cat
Too tall is not an option

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHighSevenNine View Post
Stronger in what sense?
I have to agree with his statement, the whole purpose of this project is a symbol of resilience. From here in Australia, that message is loud and clear, I can only imagine how raw feelings must still be in America. That's why people are so angry about this, such a little thing as an uglier spire design will send people angry, this is a statement to the world.

And personally I don't like the new design either.
Old May 10th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #32237
singoone
€ Scraping the sky €

Likes (Received): 666

Itīs very sad they replaced the cool modern spire with an average antenna. I know the spire was just antenna with cladding but with the redesing of base itīll have a major impact on the 1wtc look.
What a bad news.....this building should be a superior to old WTC not just a substitute.
BTW: The 1776ft sounds much better than 1368, because it means something...
singoone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 01:06 PM   #32238
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4484

errrrrrr
what is with the new design? D: it looks dreadful and lifeless...

The spire on the original design fitted perfectly well with this building, now it's just a stick which is stuck on must relatively high buildings around the world... even here in Nottingham one of our 75m tall buildings has an antenna like that... just dreadful really

To say that this building is to show respect to the 9/11 attacks and showing the world that New York can come back building stronger and more beautiful than ever... well, they're slowly dissapointed everyone...

This buildings needs the cherry ontop to finish it off nicely, this new antenna doesn't do it
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 01:49 PM   #32239
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

This tower now will be 1373 feet tall and I think that the CTBUH will be forced to drop the 1776 number. What a disgrace this new antenna is. Shame on Durst, the PA and SOM!!

PS: I'm going to add a 600 feet tall antenna on my highrise, so I can say I live in supertall!

Last edited by HK999; May 10th, 2012 at 02:01 PM.
HK999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 01:53 PM   #32240
dfiler

Likes (Received): 115

The antenna redesign looks good to me. I've never given any credance to the allegedly "official" measurement. That's like saying the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences gets to determine the "official" best movie. There is no such thing as an official height. There are only various different ways of measuring height.
dfiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center