daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 10th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #32261
Mercenary

Likes (Received): 201

Wow....I am so disappointed and these re-designs have made the building so ugly.

I am officially done this thread. They have royally screwed up this building.

I feel bad for you New Yorkers.
Mercenary no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #32262
OverOneThousand

Likes (Received): 19

Ok, I didn't mind that antenna, but that ring is disgusting.
OverOneThousand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #32263
abuabu

Likes (Received): 3

This whole issue with the spire is making more news headlines so hopefully it will be reconsidered.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/s...LZa1vEdlgV40JJ
http://gothamist.com/2012/05/09/1_wo...not_be_177.php
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...150934055.html
http://therealdeal.com/blog/2012/05/...s-in-jeopardy/
abuabu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #32264
WtS

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Honestly, you guys are too freaking spoiled. Just be glad you actually got a tower. And better yet, a tower that is taller than the original twin towers. And three extra. With beautiful designs. And a waterfall memorial. And a museum. And a unique transport hub skylight.
What a load of rubbish. Memorial and museum look perfect. Rather they made the rest a park then build these laughable buildings.
WtS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #32265
Mercenary

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/09...erica-tallest/

Think One World Trade Center is poised to become the tallest building in America? Think again.

A dispute is shaping up over whether to enclose the building's antenna in a protective shell, and the decision could make the difference in securing a spot in the record books for the gleaming 104-story building at Ground Zero.

One World Trade Center, scheduled to be completed by the end of 2013, already is classified as the tallest building in New York City after reached 1,271 feet on April 30 to eclipse the Empire State Building. When it is completed, the new building's spire is to reach a symbolic height of 1,776 feet, putting it above Chicago's Willis Tower as the nation's tallest.

But the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and developer Douglas Durst intend to drop a plan to enclose the 408-foot antenna, a move that would save about $20 million and save the hassle of maintaining the shell, the Wall Street Journal reports.

Not everyone is happy with the change.

"Eliminating this integral part of the building's design and leaving exposed antenna and equipment is unfortunate," lead designer David Childs said in a statement quoted by the Journal. "We stand ready to work with the Port on an alternate design."

And when sizing up the country's tallest buildings, the people who keep records on such things typically count spires toward overall height but not antennas, which could put the official height at only 1,368 feet. That could cause problems with One World Trade Center's claim as tallest, though the developers insist the top of the building will still count as a spire.

The Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat has yet to rule on the matter.

Experts and architects have long disagreed about where to stop measuring super-tall buildings outfitted with masts, spires and antennas that extend far above the roof.

Consider the case of the Empire State Building: Measured from the sidewalk to the tip of its needle-like antenna, the granddaddy of all super-tall skyscrapers actually stands 1,454 feet high.

Purists, though, say antennas shouldn't count when determining building height. An antenna, they say, is more like furniture than a piece of architecture.

Unlike antennas, record-keepers like spires. It's a tradition that harkens back to a time when the tallest buildings in many European cities were cathedrals. Groups like the Council on Tall Buildings, and Emporis, a building data provider in Germany, both count spires when measuring the total height of a building, even if that spire happens to look exactly like an antenna.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/09...#ixzz1uTuLW700
Old May 10th, 2012, 06:38 PM   #32266
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

They said they're still going to work on a style that will mark it as the tallest and the final decision is next year. so there's plenty of time for a change
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 06:42 PM   #32267
Mercenary

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...in-a-redesign/

World Trade Center’s Symbolic 1,776-Foot Height Is at Stake in a Redesign
By DAVID W. DUNLAP
DESCRIPTIONLeft: Skidmore, Owings & Merrill/dbox; right: Durst Organization The original design of 1 World Trade Center, in rendering at left, included a sculptural enclosure for the top. Stripped of the cladding, the building’s mast could be considered an antenna, not a spire, reducing the official height.

Seventeen-seventy-six will never lose its place in the history books, but its claim to the record books may have been undermined by a decision not to build a sculptural cladding for the mast atop 1 World Trade Center.

The mast was to elevate an otherwise 1,368-foot skyscraper into a 1,776-foot structure whose defining measurement was meant to express American spirit and resolve in the face of the terrorist attack of Sept. 11, 2001.

Whether the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, a private body that serves as a worldwide arbiter of building heights, counts the mast depends on whether it is considered a functional antenna or a nonfunctional spire.

Graphic
One World Trade Center Mast

A tapering enclosure, planned over the mast, has been eliminated. That may affect how the building’s height is calculated.

While reserving its final decision until 1 World Trade Center is completed in early 2014, the council had previously been inclined to include the mast because it was clad in a fiberglass and steel enclosure called a radome. The radome was a tapering, multifaceted structure of interlocking triangles, 23 feet in diameter at its widest, that had been designed by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill with the sculptor Kenneth Snelson.

Without this cladding, the mast is a more straightforward pole of galvanized steel trusswork, about six feet in diameter for much of its height, intersected by wider maintenance platforms.

Just how perceptible the difference will be from the street or surrounding buildings is hard to say. Though the distinction between the versions seems minuscule on renderings only a few inches high, the mast is more than 400 feet tall — about as tall as a 40-story building — so even the smallest changes are magnified by scale.

The decision to eliminate the cladding was made in October and affirmed in January by Douglas Durst, the chairman of the Durst Organization, and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, with which Mr. Durst is developing the building. The change is coming to light with all the attention the project received when the building reached 1,271 feet, making it the tallest in New York City.

Should the Council on Tall Buildings ultimately disallow the unclad mast in its height calculation, 1 World Trade Center would lose both its symbolic dimension and its claim to unseating the Willis Tower (formerly the Sears Tower) in Chicago as the tallest building in America. It would not even be the second-tallest building in America. That is the Trump International Hotel and Tower, also in Chicago.

“This definitely raises questions,” Kevin Brass, the public affairs manager for the council, said in a statement on Wednesday. “Our criteria are very specific. We include spires and not antennas. If this is an antenna, it won’t be part of the height measurement. The cladding was an integral part of the design and made the extension part of the permanent look and feel of the building.”

The chief architect of 1 World Trade Center, David M. Childs, was not reticent about calling the resulting structure an antenna as he took a rare step for any architect in publicly criticizing a client.

“We are disappointed that a decision has been made to remove the sculptural enclosure at the top of 1 World Trade Center,” Mr. Childs, now a consulting partner at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, said in a statement. “Eliminating this integral part of the building’s design and leaving an exposed antenna and equipment is unfortunate. We stand ready to work with the port on an alternate design that will still mark the 1 World Trade Center’s place in New York City’s skyline.”

Though eliminating the cladding will save about $20 million in construction costs, some of which the Durst Organization will recoup as part of its agreement with the Port Authority, Mr. Durst said that what doomed the radome was the prospect of maintaining such a complex structure more than a quarter-mile in the sky.

“There was no real method to maintain or repair the radome,” Mr. Durst said in an interview on Tuesday; his colleagues in the Durst Organization likened any such effort to something out of “Mission Impossible.” They said that if one of the hundreds of fiberglass panels in the radome were damaged by lightning or ice, climbers would have to scale it, winches would have to be installed on the upper reaches of the tower, and cables would have to be lowered to the 9/11 Memorial plaza, where replacement pieces weighing thousands of pounds would await.

Mr. Durst said the current mast would “still be a fairly robust structure.”

“I don’t think it will affect the visual appearance,” he added. “I try not to get involved with the aesthetics. We’re here to discuss how it’s built and how it’s maintained.”

The Port Authority seemed so confident that the issue would be resolved in favor of the 1,776-foot height that a spokesman, Steve Coleman, allowed himself an unusually lighthearted response. “We confess,” he said. “One World Trade Center is really a three-story walk-up in Peoria.”

Then he added: “If truth be told, this discussion is irrelevant. One World Trade Center will be the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere.”

Jordan Barowitz, the director of external affairs at Durst, said: “When the building is complete in 18 months or so, there will be no broadcast equipment on the spire. It will be a spire, lit with LEDs. I don’t know how you could call that an antenna. It’s a spire from which broadcast equipment will be suspended.” He referred to the three steel rings at the base of the mast, which will contain communication equipment.
Old May 10th, 2012, 06:46 PM   #32268
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK999 View Post
Holy sh*t that's ugly! What happened to the ring platform?
It's just the exposed structure; eventually broadcast companies will fill it with microwave radio relay dishes and ENG antennas.

Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 06:48 PM   #32269
NewYorkSkyline117

Oh so it won't be exposed like that in the final design
Old May 10th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #32270
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1032

The language from SOM is a little more encouraging. The best case scenario at this point is that they add something to the antenna at a later date.
Old May 10th, 2012, 06:57 PM   #32271
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
Oh so it won't be exposed like that in the final design
Depends on the broadcast market, once companies start signing the platform ring structure will get wrapped and filled with antennas, while the steel tower will get equipment mounted on it (making it even uglier).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
The language from SOM is a little more encouraging. The best case scenario at this point is that they add something to the antenna at a later date.
That would be the best solution, get the damn thing wrapped using the revenue generated, even if it takes several years; and as for the maintenance issue, leave the job to a good engineering studio.

Last edited by Otie; May 10th, 2012 at 07:04 PM.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 06:57 PM   #32272
MontanaGuy

Likes (Received): 51

I agree with those who feel very disappointed with this revised version of the spire. If you look at the Sears Tower (now the Willis Tower) it appears that it's antennas are much more substantial looking than this 400 foot stick and as we all know they're not included in the height of that building. I love the design of the rest of this building and I can only hope that those in charge of constructing it will come to their senses and spend the extra money to give it the elegant spire that was originally planned.
MontanaGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #32273
cincobarrio
Lurker

Likes (Received): 82

I don't think the antenna looks bad. Actually, I have a feeling it'll look quite nice.
Compared to the Empire State and 4 Times, it'll have a better sense of belonging in the skyline.
cincobarrio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #32274
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I like the new antenna. It looks more formal.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #32275
wukikimonkey

Likes (Received): 41

wow. Lot's of vitriol over a big stick...I guess that's what you get on a forum dedicated to architectural obsessiveness.

Just wanted to weigh in that, though I really did like the previous "fat" design, changing to the antenna doesn't really bother me. Hopefully, as Otie posted, those rings at the base of the spire/antenna aren't going to just look like metal scaffolding and will be filled in.

Perhaps I think less of what the number 1776 means and think more about what it means to have a building there at all.
wukikimonkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 07:07 PM   #32276
chipz

Likes (Received): 23

I can't believe it! Tell me it's a lie! It looks terrible!
I want the white spire ,not that dark shit, doesn't looks modern at all!

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
First they changed the bottom outside ,now that. It's ugly,really!
chipz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #32277
NewYorkSkyline117

Yea it does not look good at all, it looks like the mast decayed or something. Truly ugly, definitely not good looking
Old May 10th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #32278
Mercenary

First these morons add a base pedestal the building ruining the architectural symmetry of the building.

Then they butcher the west side podium creating a fortress like structure.

Then these guys ruin the cladding of the base of the building.

Then these guys remove the top spire and replace it with an antenna.

This is the most mis-managed building ever build.

What a disgrace.
Old May 10th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #32279
マイルズ

Likes (Received): 8

I have no idea where to start with this new antenna, It's just such a disgrace to America, let alone New York. Back in February or March, when I first read about the Spire Redesign, I never knew it would look THIS ugly. I mean, look at it! It looks so cheap, and so poorly-made, it ruins the whole tower. Hell, it's not even 1776 feet anymore. Durst should be ashamed for this. Not just for the spire, but for ruining the whole building. The cube-shaped podium, the redesigned plaza are just a few of the many horrible changes to this tower. I'd rather have no spire at all than this stick.
マイルズ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #32280
NewYorkSkyline117

Exactly! It RUINED it

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center