daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 10th, 2012, 07:31 PM   #32281
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

How the **** does it disgrace New York? It is more of a New York style than the previous design! Goddamn, some of the people here make me glad it was redesigned...
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #32282
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
How the **** does it disgrace New York? It is more of a New York style than the previous design! Goddamn, some of the people here make me glad it was redesigned...
Starting to feel the same way...
iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #32283
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by wukikimonkey View Post
wow. Lot's of vitriol over a big stick...I guess that's what you get on a forum dedicated to architectural obsessiveness.

Just wanted to weigh in that, though I really did like the previous "fat" design, changing to the antenna doesn't really bother me. Hopefully, as Otie posted, those rings at the base of the spire/antenna aren't going to just look like metal scaffolding and will be filled in.

Perhaps I think less of what the number 1776 means and think more about what it means to have a building there at all.
Everything Otie has posted is accurate. It's been said before, but if you want to know what the finished product is going to look like, you can go look at the antenna on top of 4 Times Square. That is owned by Durst as well. Ironically, that antenna was built to take over for the loss of the antenna at the original 1 WTC.

I don't consider these industrial antennae to be a New York look. Chicago started that with John Hancock Center. NYC only picked up on it with the WTC, and when that was destroyed they plopped an even uglier replacement on 4 Times Square as I posted above.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #32284
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wukikimonkey View Post
wow. Lot's of vitriol over a big stick...I guess that's what you get on a forum dedicated to architectural obsessiveness.

Just wanted to weigh in that, though I really did like the previous "fat" design, changing to the antenna doesn't really bother me. Hopefully, as Otie posted, those rings at the base of the spire/antenna aren't going to just look like metal scaffolding and will be filled in.

Perhaps I think less of what the number 1776 means and think more about what it means to have a building there at all.
Old May 10th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #32285
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

Quote:
I'm just glad they are complaining of the looks rather than an arbitrary number.

Anyway, for those who hate it, are the redesigns really that bad? A square base and an antenna just make the tower even more reminiscent of the North Tower. I see this as a good thing.
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 07:47 PM   #32286
マイルズ

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:

I like it how you are optimistic about the new spire. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.
マイルズ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 07:49 PM   #32287
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyskunk2 View Post
I'm just glad they are complaining of the looks rather than an arbitrary number.

Anyway, for those who hate it, are the redesigns really that bad? A square base and an antenna just make the tower even more reminiscent of the North Tower. I see this as a good thing.
That's exactly how I feel, I miss the twin towers, and now this feels like a mix between 1 WTC and the old WTC, so I am pretty happy with this.
Old May 10th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #32288
マイルズ

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveclassicrock7 View Post
That's exactly how I feel, I miss the twin towers, and now this feels like a mix between 1 WTC and the old WTC, so I am pretty happy with this.

I just wish it could still be 1776 feet.
マイルズ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 07:52 PM   #32289
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by マイルズ View Post
I just wish it could still be 1776 feet.
If they wanted a building that was 1776 feet they should have added another 40 floors
Old May 10th, 2012, 07:52 PM   #32290
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

I just hope that they still have the light beacon at the top.
Old May 10th, 2012, 07:58 PM   #32291
pichuneke
Tómame en serio y verás..

Likes (Received): 1156

Hi.

My sources have sent me the definitive design. It's made with 100% Spanish telecommunications technology and will be done by the company "Antenas de Televisión Manolo y Benito S.L."

This is the definitive render:

[IMG]http://i48.************/fwubmd.jpg[/IMG]

La fé no mueve montañas. Para eso están las voladuras.
pichuneke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 08:01 PM   #32292
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCRM2 View Post
The building has no meaning now. To fall from 1st place to 3rd and 4th place is even a disaster. How can they say America has come back taller and stronger as it's the same height as the old North Tower and 2 other towers at the center is questionable. SMH.

Spire and Antenna makes a total difference. Spire is a architectural sculpture that is made to go up from the building and gives it meaning. *Antenna is just a broadcast tower ontop of a box like a television. Both elements have different roles, however Spire and building plays 1 role as it gives character to the building as a whole. *Durst say it will be hard to maintain; how the hell the owners of the ESB been maintaining their steel spire for 80+ years now. That is not a good excuse.*

1WTC is the most expensive office building ever built, so why spend all that money not to have bragging rights for something. You gonna build it and say what now?............... Just built the damn spire & just leave the building alone. That site is like curse, jeez!*
There's so much wrong with this post

1, The building will be taller than the Twins. 2 meters taller than the North Tower and 4 meters taller than the South Tower.

2, ESB has no spire. The fatter section which ends in a flying saucer style observation floor is the observation section of the building and therefore still part of it. The thin steel stick above it is an antenna, which looks nearly identical to the planned antenna of 1WTC, so if that one is OK, 1WTC's will be OK too.

3, Both an antenna and a spire are the same thing, thin, tall steel sticks.

4, Official height says nothing about the height of a building. It's an imaginary number, nothing more. The height of 1WTC will not change, it will be identical, only the above mentioned imaginary number will change.

5, Seriously people, what's wrong with you. Those 20 million in initial costs and much more in maintenance costs can be used for things so much better and so much more important than an imaginary number, for example to make the 9/11 museum be for free to visit
Old May 10th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #32293
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5222

What a disgrace

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 08:12 PM   #32294
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
There's so much wrong with this post

1, The building will be taller than the Twins. 2 meters taller than the North Tower and 4 meters taller than the South Tower.

2, ESB has no spire. The fatter section which ends in a flying saucer style observation floor is the observation section of the building and therefore still part of it. The thin steel stick above it is an antenna, which looks nearly identical to the planned antenna of 1WTC, so if that one is OK, 1WTC's will be OK too.

3, Both an antenna and a spire are the same thing, thin, tall steel sticks.

4, Official height says nothing about the height of a building. It's an imaginary number, nothing more. The height of 1WTC will not change, it will be identical, only the above mentioned imaginary number will change.

5, Seriously people, what's wrong with you. Those 20 million in initial costs and much more in maintenance costs can be used for things so much better and so much more important than an imaginary number, for example to make the 9/11 museum be for free to visit
You couldn't have said it better then that.
Old May 10th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #32295
pichuneke
Tómame en serio y verás..

Likes (Received): 1156

Seriously, I think it's something very negative for New York, too.

I'm sorry for you.

La fé no mueve montañas. Para eso están las voladuras.
pichuneke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #32296
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

It already cost 4 billion dollar. They should have thought about the cost, before they started building the superbase on this building. If they were really trying to cut cost, they'd top the building off now and they wouldn't put shit on top of it. The PA is full of shit and they always have been. They don't give a **** about this building so why should I.
Old May 10th, 2012, 08:20 PM   #32297
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

You got some good points there kanto but, this is still a huge let down.
Old May 10th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #32298
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Kanto your wrong ESB does have a spire. Secondly spires and antenna's aren't the same. One has a function while the other does not.
Old May 10th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #32299
fooddude
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

The original, big, thick, fat spire DOES matter!!! It isn't just some "dumb addition/spire/antenna/after-thought"....

X-ing out the original, NICE, phat spire from the 1WTC... is exactly the same as removing the spire/top/tip of let's say the CN Tower, the new Tokyo Sky Tree or Shanghai's Oriental Pearl Tower to a skinny toothpick antennae... IT JUST DOESN'T WORK!!!

The 3 aforesaid towers all have pretty fat, thick spires/antennas and would look completely ridiculous with a few skinny sticks of metal at the top and wouldn't give as much presence.

The Durst jerks better bring back the original fat thick spire design.
fooddude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #32300
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveclassicrock7 View Post
I just hope that they still have the light beacon at the top.
I said the same thing, but you need to stop "clapping" and stuff just because you think you're getting it your way but it''s not even confirmed yet so no one should be getting their hopes up on anything yet.
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center