daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 10th, 2012, 08:36 PM   #32301
fooddude
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

I wonder what the actual people working at this site think about the decision... they're prolly 10000000x more p*ssed than us. They put their entire lives into building this, just to see it "compromised" into something cheaper.

It's a measly 20mil!!! A fraction of the total building's cost! The ratio of these dumb savings to the final-overall-Permanent-look is definitely NOT worth it!

As far as "maintenance" ...who cares! It just means more jobs!

Durst = excuses excuses excuses

Durst = lame

They should be ashamed of themselves .
fooddude no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2012, 08:40 PM   #32302
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pichuneke View Post
Hi.

My sources have sent me the definitive design. It's made with 100% Spanish telecommunications technology and will be done by the company "Antenas de Televisión Manolo y Benito S.L."

This is the definitive render:

[IMG]http://i48.************/fwubmd.jpg[/IMG]
Oh god, I spit coffee all over the screen.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #32303
raider12

Likes (Received): 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Oh god, I spit coffee all over the screen.
i know it, good that he shed some humor on the damn thing
raider12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 08:45 PM   #32304
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude View Post
The original, big, thick, fat spire DOES matter!!! It isn't just some "dumb addition/spire/antenna/after-thought"....

X-ing out the original, NICE, phat spire from the 1WTC... is exactly the same as removing the spire/top/tip of let's say the CN Tower, the new Tokyo Sky Tree or Shanghai's Oriental Pearl Tower to a skinny toothpick antennae... IT JUST DOESN'T WORK!!!

The 3 aforesaid towers all have pretty fat, thick spires/antennas and would look completely ridiculous with a few skinny sticks of metal at the top and wouldn't give as much presence.

The Durst jerks better bring back the original fat thick spire design.
You can't compare observation towers to skyscrapers. The architecture of them is completely different. Skyscrapers with fat spires look ridiculous, the antenna of 1WTC looks far better proportioned than the fat spire did

And btw kingsc, ESB has no spire. As I said before, it has only an antenna and I give you official CTBUH proof of that from skyscrapercenter.com

Figures
Height: Architectural 381.0 meter / 1250 feet
Height: Occupied 373.1 meter / 1224 feet
Height: To Tip 443.2 meter / 1454 feet
Height: Observatory 373.1 meter / 1224 feet
Floors Above Ground 102
Floors Below Ground 1
# of Elevators 73
Top Elevator Speed 7.1 m/s
Tower GFA 208,879 m² / 2,248,355 ft²

As to has function/hasn't function. Both have a function. A spire's function is aesthetical and an antenna's function is broadcasting. Now let us take for example a tomato. A tomato is there for us to eat it, that's its function. However, in Spain, they have those huge tomato wars where people throw tomatoes at each other. that is a different function than eating. It doesn't matter whether you eat a tomato or throw it at somebody, it will still remain a tomato. And it doesn't matter whether you use a tall steel stick for decoration or you use it for broadcasting, it will still remain a tall stick
Old May 10th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #32305
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

Whats the possibility that SOM will volunteer their own engineers to maintain the random and a third party fundraiser to pay the 20 million dollars for the random, hey like the lottery you never know.
Old May 10th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #32306
parsonsnose
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

"I wonder what the actual people working at this site think about the decision... they're prolly 10000000x more p*ssed than us. They put their entire lives into building this, just to see it "compromised" into something cheaper."

They probably don't give a shit....as long as they get paid every month.
From an outsiders viewpoint I'd say the building was never going to be 1776 feet tall no matter what spire they put on it. So why sweat about that?
It's a great building anyway, and at least the new spire/ antennae..whatever looks functional.
parsonsnose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #32307
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

I would think the people who are constructing it don't just "give a shit" they probably have emotional connections to it, like the steel workers in the documentary
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 08:59 PM   #32308
Kanto
Roof height crusader

They do have emotional connection to the building. However they don't have emotional connection to an imaginary number
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #32309
ThatOneGuy

The number 1776 was probably just an incentive to build the tower in the first place.
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:04 PM   #32310
Kanto
Roof height crusader

1374 is far more symbolic because it is just as much taller than the North Tower as the North Tower was taller than the South Tower
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #32311
ThatOneGuy

Yup
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #32312
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post

As to has function/hasn't function. Both have a function. A spire's function is aesthetical and an antenna's function is broadcasting. Now let us take for example a tomato. A tomato is there for us to eat it, that's its function. However, in Spain, they have those huge tomato wars where people throw tomatoes at each other. that is a different function than eating. It doesn't matter whether you eat a tomato or throw it at somebody, it will still remain a tomato. And it doesn't matter whether you use a tall steel stick for decoration or you use it for broadcasting, it will still remain a tall stick
You're giving a wrong analysis, a tomato will remain as a tomato regardless the usage you give to it, we all agree with it. But here were talking about two separate things: a steel tower and an enclosure, both of them can't be generalized as sticks, unless you want to generalize also tomatoes and apples to fruits.

Oh and the Empire State does have a spire (originally concevied as a mooring mast), and is located just below the antenna and right above Level D. (got the prints)

Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #32313
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8243

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveclassicrock7 View Post
If they wanted a building that was 1776 feet they should have added another 40 floors
i agree with this. Making a spire for a building to look great is amazing, especially on buildings that already have a shape that just looks like its made for a spire, for example burj khalifa or the najing greenland building. But adding a spire like that never really felt like a "spire", it always looked like an antenna for me. It is not bad and i like its look, because it looks quite similar to the north tower of the old WTC complex, i just never understood why it was counted to begin with, it is indeed just an antenna with a bit of fancy stuff around. Looking at the latest renders posted by you guys doesn't make it look too different for me. I just hope the rings will quite stay as they were before, they looked quite cool, the spire looked good, but now without the white it looks more like the original WTC, so i can't say i dislike it.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:31 PM   #32314
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

If y'all wanna go technical, what they're going to put on top is not an antenna either, but a steel tower that will allow transmission equipment to be mounted on it, just like Four Times Square.
So here comes the real discussion: if someone puts a large steel tower atop of any building with no purposed intended:
  • Should it be considered as part of the overal architectural height?
  • At which moment a steel tower sitting on top becomes an architectural feature?
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:48 PM   #32315
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

I don't look here for just 1 day and immediately there are 10 pages more.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:48 PM   #32316
singoone
€ Scraping the sky €

Likes (Received): 666

The antenna on North tower looked much better than this crappy thin stick.
singoone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 09:52 PM   #32317
Lawrence7
Lawrence

Likes (Received): 2

I don't give a damn now about what height this tower will or won't be. What does matter is the fact they are ruining a stunning looking iconic building in the greatest city on the planet for the sake of $20 million and extra maintenance, quite amusing when this building cost $2 billion!!

I hope someone intervenes and sorts this embarrassment out.
Lawrence7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 10:16 PM   #32318
JCRM2

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
There's so much wrong with this post

1, The building will be taller than the Twins. 2 meters taller than the North Tower and 4 meters taller than the South Tower.

2, ESB has no spire. The fatter section which ends in a flying saucer style observation floor is the observation section of the building and therefore still part of it. The thin steel stick above it is an antenna, which looks nearly identical to the planned antenna of 1WTC, so if that one is OK, 1WTC's will be OK too.

3, Both an antenna and a spire are the same thing, thin, tall steel sticks.

4, Official height says nothing about the height of a building. It's an imaginary number, nothing more. The height of 1WTC will not change, it will be identical, only the above mentioned imaginary number will change.

5, Seriously people, what's wrong with you. Those 20 million in initial costs and much more in maintenance costs can be used for things so much better and so much more important than an imaginary number, for example to make the 9/11 museum be for free to visit
Um the ESB has a Art Deco Spire. Plz go back and learn history. The spire starts from the 86th observation deck to the 102nd level. That's 1,250 feet of pure design from top to bottom. Al smith wanted his building to outshine Crystals and her art deco's spire, so he builded a massive spire on top of his building, which gave it its signature symbolic *look. ESB is a example of what a building looks when it has both elements stack on top of each other.
Now spire and antennas are NOT the samething. Spires just happens to look like a antenna but functions as a format designed with the building giving it new heights. It's what gives buildings character and meaning. Antenna surfs *as a broadcast system on top of a building. That is it. You have a building as its own and a separate piece of object that does its own work on top of a mass. It doesn't do anything for a building but gives us reception.*

1776 may be a*imaginary number, however regardless that spire would have gotten it there with meaning and symbolism, like wise antenna will do nothing but reach an imaginary feet that surfs no purpose. It's just a number with a antenna. With that being said, 1WTC will only be symbolic now because of its dark past not for its great new heights.*
JCRM2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 10:20 PM   #32319
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22572

from tallest to 3rd tallest before it was even completed...
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 10:22 PM   #32320
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

sweat about it because the spire made the building, the antenna looks like garbage, hell I would actually rather have a pile of garbage on top of the building.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center