daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 11th, 2012, 01:40 AM   #32361
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveclassicrock7 View Post
Technically you could say that for a lot of buildings. They could theoretically, add 20 stories to the Burj Khalifa, or theoretically add 20 stories to the sears tower, or ESB, or the Taipei 101, or shanghai tower. But, it's not something that is going to happen. This is America, we build off of economic need, not bragging rights. No one outside of skyscraper forums cares about this, so where are they gonna get support for spending another 200 million ? Guys, what is wrong with a 419 meter tower ? It replaces one of the twins, and even adds 2 meters.
I'm pretty sure that they actually did build the Sears Tower so that they could add more floors. It'll never happen, but it's more than just theoretical when it comes to that particular building.

Adding floors to 1 WTC would look terrible due to the way the eight faces of the building meet at the parapet.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2012, 01:41 AM   #32362
marsh

Likes (Received): 25

Well, I'm sorry but 432 Park Place is not worthy of the city's tallest. It looks anorexic and pathetic. And the way things drag out in this country today, I'd doubt it will ever even be built..so 1WTC will be the only game in town for the forseeable future..Back to the height issue, what WILL be the final height? I thought rooftop would be 1368 feet and spire 1776 feet...But now, the roof has been changed by CBU to 1374? So they are adding 6 feet to the roof? This is confusing as hell.
marsh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 01:47 AM   #32363
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
I'm pretty sure that they actually did build the Sears Tower so that they could add more floors. It'll never happen, but it's more than just theoretical when it comes to that particular building.

Adding floors to 1 WTC would look terrible due to the way the eight faces of the building meet at the parapet.
Gotcha. Also, I could actually see them adding floors to the sears, if it's about to lose it's title sometime in the future. I say this because it would be a predictable move for Rahm Emmanuel
iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 01:49 AM   #32364
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh View Post
Well, I'm sorry but 432 Park Place is not worthy of the city's tallest. It looks anorexic and pathetic. And the way things drag out in this country today, I'd doubt it will ever even be built..so 1WTC will be the only game in town for the forseeable future..Back to the height issue, what WILL be the final height? I thought rooftop would be 1368 feet and spire 1776 feet...But now, the roof has been changed by CBU to 1374? So they are adding 6 feet to the roof? This is confusing as hell.
Right, the top is now 419 meters.
Old May 11th, 2012, 01:52 AM   #32365
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
I explained this 6 or 7 posts back. It's a done deal, this is the antennae you are getting.
Stop giving people the false truth, you don't even know that's 100% what they're doing. They even said in the articles that they're working together to plan something alternative and one ignorant guy can still be persuaded. Plus the final decision won't be made until its time to mount whatever will be mounted after topping out
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 01:54 AM   #32366
marsh

So what is 419 meters in feet? Earlier today on the CBU website it had the official rooftop height at 1374 feet, but everyone else on the forums has always said it would be the same as the old North Tower, 1368 feet...So where did the extra 6 feet come from all of a sudden? Not that 6 feet makes a big difference of course lol...Anyway, I stand by my statement..I predict 1WTC will be the only game in town for years to come as far as skyscrapers go...I guess the way times are and as penny pinching as people are now, we are lucky to get it at all. 432 Park and the other would-be projects are pure speculation at this point..
Old May 11th, 2012, 01:56 AM   #32367
PDC1987

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
So what is 419 meters in feet? Earlier today on the CBU website it had the official rooftop height at 1374 feet, but everyone else on the forums has always said it would be the same as the old North Tower, 1368 feet...So where did the extra 6 feet come from all of a sudden? Not that 6 feet makes a big difference of course lol...Anyway, I stand by my statement..I predict 1WTC will be the only game in town for years to come as far as skyscrapers go...I guess the way times are and as penny pinching as people are now, we are lucky to get it at all. 432 Park and the other would-be projects are pure speculation at this point..
The parapet along the edge of the top of the actual roof.
PDC1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 01:57 AM   #32368
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
Stop giving people the false truth, you don't even know that's 100% what they're doing. They even said in the articles that they're working together to plan something alternative and one ignorant guy can still be persuaded. Plus the final decision won't be made until its time to mount whatever will be mounted after topping out
I don't think you understand the situation. I posted a link to an actual article and mentioned another, that proved what I was saying. So why don't you read what I wrote next time before you accuse me of lying.

Also, Durst is part of a large company, he cares about money and not what people on a skyscraper forum think.
Old May 11th, 2012, 02:13 AM   #32369
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

Does The Durst Organization really have and finale say or does the port authority or SOM have any saying on the matter ?
Old May 11th, 2012, 02:17 AM   #32370
NewYorkSkyline117

Quote:
I don't think you understand the situation. I posted a link to an actual article and mentioned another, that proved what I was saying. So why don't you read what I wrote next time before you accuse me of lying.

Also, Durst is part of a large company, he cares about money and not what people on a skyscraper forum think.
Yea but you're saying it's set in stone, but for some reason all of these articles are saying that it's 100% definite while others are saying Childs is working with Durst to come up with an alternative..idk what to believe, so i'm just going to see what happens. Anyways, could someone answer these questions:

-Why is it now 1,374 feet? Did they add extra structure to it?
-What will the diameter of the "antenna" be? I read 6 feet but that can't be possible from the pictures i've seen of it plus thats the diameter of a small trampoline
Old May 11th, 2012, 02:23 AM   #32371
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

Quote:
432 park is residential. None of this waiting for tenant. Thinner than One57 means it will go up fast.
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 02:26 AM   #32372
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Yea but you're saying it's set in stone, but for some reason all of these articles are saying that it's 100% definite while others are saying Childs is working with Durst to come up with an alternative..idk what to believe, so i'm just going to see what happens. Anyways, could someone answer these questions:

-What will the diameter of the "antenna" be? I read 6 feet but that can't be possible from the pictures i've seen of it plus thats the diameter of a small trampoline
Quote:
Why is it now 1,374 feet
- Because the CTBUH counts height from lowest occupied floor now. Not sure about the antennae's diameter
Old May 11th, 2012, 02:26 AM   #32373
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:

-The height increasement is due a lower measurement starting point located at the north entrance, which is 5'-8" lower (according to Vito) from the main finished ground floor slab. Previous papers showed the north entrance 3'4" below the rest, gonna need to modify diagrams.

-Widest diameter section of the mast is 18' (not counting maintenance platforms), compared to the 30' maximum diameter of the radome enclosure.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 02:29 AM   #32374
NewYorkSkyline117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
-The height increasement is due a lower measurement starting point located at the north entrance, which is 5'-8" lower (according to Vito) from the main finished ground floor slab.

-Widest diameter of the mast is 18', compared to the 30' maximum diameter of the radome enclosure.
Oh okay thanks, I was looking at the warehouse pics and saw that it looked much thicker than 6 feet. And also on that link, the first page shows stats and says the mast is 458 feet high, not 408 feet. why is that?

http://www.adfgroup.com/projets/edifices/highrises.html
Old May 11th, 2012, 02:30 AM   #32375
yankee fan for life

According to the wall street journal article in 2010 Durst Organization wanted to remove the shell to save costs but attempt was rejected by the Port Authority so,how all of a sudden does durst have the finale say ?
Old May 11th, 2012, 02:33 AM   #32376
Otie
Researcher

Quote:
Oh okay thanks, I was looking at the warehouse pics and saw that it looked much thicker than 6 feet. And also on that link, the first page shows stats and says the mast is 458 feet high, not 408 feet. why is that?

http://www.adfgroup.com/projets/edifices/highrises.html
They're counting the beacon and the lighning rod.
Old May 11th, 2012, 02:33 AM   #32377
Otie
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee fan for life View Post
According to the wall street journal article in 2010 Durst Organization wanted to remove the shell to save costs but attempt was rejected by the Port Authority so,how all of a sudden does durst have the finale say ?
Change of executive director.
Old May 11th, 2012, 02:33 AM   #32378
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6559

It is horrible news - 1776 has a meaning to it. Antenna will not count as the same height. 20 million for Durst is nothing really.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 02:38 AM   #32379
marsh

The whole thing is ****ed up. This ridiculous debate wouldn't even be happening if they had done the right thing from the beginning and made the damn thing the tallest in the country by roof height, thereby eliminating the antenna/spire issue. The tower should have been 1500 or 1600 feet to rooftop, antenna or no antenna. This new version looks like the old North Tower antenna's clone, and the stripped ring looks like barbed wire. Hideous. Maybe this isn't the final word, and I sure hope not, but the whole thing is totally underhanded and two-faced. Durst had plenty of time to question SOM's design. So why wasn't that addressed in the planning stages? Are these people retards?
Old May 11th, 2012, 02:38 AM   #32380
yankee fan for life

Change of executive director, i still have to believe that the port authority and SOM have to have some say on the matter.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center