daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 11th, 2012, 04:39 AM   #32401
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Chief Architect David Childs told the New York Times he was disappointed in the co-developers' decision to remove the radome.

"Eliminating this integral part of the building's design and leaving an exposed antenna and equipment is unfortunate. We stand ready to work with the port on an alternate design that will still mark the 1 World Trade Center's place in New York City's skyline," Childs said.
a small shred of hope

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2012, 04:51 AM   #32402
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1024

...I'm sorry. I know y'all have a lot of attachment to this building, and for obvious reasons. But, seriously....6 pages about the change from spire to antenna? I knew there'd be a mess about this here when I looked at the CTBUH website today, but really. I've never been a fan of 1WTC (2WTC is a much more interesting building to look at; shame it's not being built yet), and the change from spire to antenna makes little impact on the aesthetics of the thing as a whole, in my mind. It looked stuck-on to begin with, and now merely admits that itself instead of trying to fool anyone; pity that it succeeded in the first place.

aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 04:55 AM   #32403
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
...I'm sorry. I know y'all have a lot of attachment to this building, and for obvious reasons. But, seriously....6 pages about the change from spire to antenna? I knew there'd be a mess about this here when I looked at the CTBUH website today, but really. I've never been a fan of 1WTC (2WTC is a much more interesting building to look at; shame it's not being built yet), and the change from spire to antenna makes little impact on the aesthetics of the thing as a whole, in my mind. It looked stuck-on to begin with, and now merely admits that itself instead of trying to fool anyone; pity that it succeeded in the first place.
I agree with all of this. Also, i love 2 WTC too, not sure which one of these is my favorite though. But I hope 2 WTC gets built.

iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 05:18 AM   #32404
Vito Corleone

Likes (Received): 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hi all.

Hi Vito.

Thanks for the response.
I understand you not being able to disclose your source. I was just wondering - I have no doubt your figures are reliable.
The notion of 1776 as the height to tip is an interesting possibility.

Ray.
Well, it looks like the official height will be locked at 1776' until they have a sitdown. And who knows when that will be? Well at least this debacle has got everyone's attention. Someone should have a fund-raiser to get the $20 million to restore the original design.

cheers...

Vito Corleone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 05:19 AM   #32405
marsh

Likes (Received): 25

Yuck I totally disagree. I despise 2WTC design. It looks like it's collapsing or has been sheared off. And it's not even breaking any height records either. To each their own, but I will hold out hope that 1WTC's spire can be saved. I don't like 2WTC or 3WTC. They just look "blah". The architects big mistake was not simply building a twin of 1WTC somewhere on the site. 2WTC and 3WTC will just make 1WTC look crowded, thats my opinion.
marsh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 05:29 AM   #32406
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh View Post
Yuck I totally disagree. I despise 2WTC design. It looks like it's collapsing or has been sheared off. And it's not even breaking any height records either. To each their own, but I will hold out hope that 1WTC's spire can be saved. I don't like 2WTC or 3WTC. They just look "blah". The architects big mistake was not simply building a twin of 1WTC somewhere on the site. 2WTC and 3WTC will just make 1WTC look crowded, thats my opinion.
I would have loved to see a twin, it would look like this

Not bad, looks great actually
Old May 11th, 2012, 05:53 AM   #32407
Munwon

Likes (Received): 3183

Horrible! There should be some media attention to this. Hopefully a fundraiser can be organized to make up the difference. The new design just doesn't work!!!!
Munwon está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 06:02 AM   #32408
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

Wow skyscraper city change 1 wtc to 1374 truly a sad day.
Old May 11th, 2012, 06:03 AM   #32409
iamxeddiex
Wankel

Likes (Received): 307

So... No bad ass LEDs?

We just want a WTC to be proud of.

Last edited by iamxeddiex; May 11th, 2012 at 06:13 AM.
iamxeddiex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 06:08 AM   #32410
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthbuilder View Post
Sorry for being abit of a douche... But he kinda has?
No he doesn't, I thought I made that very clear.
Old May 11th, 2012, 06:13 AM   #32411
Westyguy

Likes (Received): 324

Slap in the face for everyone.

Cheap and nasty for such an important site.
Westyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 06:14 AM   #32412
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
No he doesn't, I thought I made that very clear.
I always thought Kanto was being dramatic about being 'bullied', I was clearly wrong. All hail the king's infallible opinion!
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 06:14 AM   #32413
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1024

Am I mistaken in thinking they could just add on the spire elements at a later date, should they choose to do so?

aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 06:15 AM   #32414
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
Am I mistaken in thinking they could just add on the spire elements at a later date, should they choose to do so?
I don't think you can do that once people begin moving in.
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 06:28 AM   #32415
IngMarco

Likes (Received): 2624

The people who allowed this should be ashamed of themselves... how can this be approved? The project is suppossed to be a whole, I just learn today what the unity of architecture is and now I see this crime to the city!

I'm really sorry this can happen, well sorry and angry must feel the architect who came up with this wonderful tower by watching how they turn it into a frankenstein complex.
IngMarco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 06:41 AM   #32416
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Im sorry but you sound like spoiled children... they are changing the spire to an antennae, not changing the whole building. Just a minor adjustment, yet now you act like the whole building is a disgrace ? That's a major exaggeration in my opinion.

Old May 11th, 2012, 06:43 AM   #32417
bigNavySeal

Likes (Received): 18

I've always thought that spire was out of place. It doesn't have much aesthetic appeal and it was a lousy attempt to make 1WTC the tallest in the USA. I completely understand the owners decision to merely remove the casing if it will save them $20 million. 20 MILLION dollars people! They loose a bloody "record", yet save some serious bucks and make it cheaper and easier to maintain. If you wanted to beat a record you should've raised the actual structural building to spire height... If I was standing in their shoes being the ones who have to fund the project I'm pretty sure I'd consider and do the same. And besides, the aesthetics of that antenna looks almost as good if you ask me.....

Last edited by bigNavySeal; May 11th, 2012 at 06:51 AM.
bigNavySeal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 07:11 AM   #32418
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigNavySeal View Post
I've always thought that spire was out of place. It doesn't have much aesthetic appeal and it was a lousy attempt to make 1WTC the tallest in the USA. I completely understand the owners decision to merely remove the casing if it will save them $20 million. 20 MILLION dollars people! They loose a bloody "record", yet save some serious bucks and make it cheaper and easier to maintain. If you wanted to beat a record you should've raised the actual structural building to spire height... If I was standing in their shoes being the ones who have to fund the project I'm pretty sure I'd consider and do the same. And besides, the aesthetics of that antenna looks almost as good if you ask me.....
Couldn't agree more

Old May 11th, 2012, 07:24 AM   #32419
Mercenary

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigNavySeal View Post

screw that....if these guys decided to make this building half the height...i am sure there will be some people coming out of the wood words defending that too....

this whole project is a national disgrace
Mercenary no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 07:28 AM   #32420
Kimiwind1184
Speed Metal God

Likes (Received): 1149

Quote:
Originally Posted by IngMarco View Post
I'm really sorry this can happen, well sorry and angry must feel the architect who came up with this wonderful tower by watching how they turn it into a frankenstein complex.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center