daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 11th, 2012, 01:12 PM   #32441
The seventh shape
Master of his domain

Likes (Received): 827

If they are not going to have the nice spire and just an antenna, is there any reason to have it so tall? There's no point in having it draw attention to itself like that, and it's high enough as it is surely. Half its present height would be better, won't make a difference to the official building height anyway.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
The seventh shape no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2012, 01:25 PM   #32442
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHighSevenNine View Post
Bitchin' image. Very cool. Too bad it'll never be a reality. Hell, NY will be lucky to get WTC2 or WTC3 the way things are going.
Maybe in some wonderful parallel universe.
Old May 11th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #32443
yankee fan for life

You know the old saying hope springs eternal maybe and compromise will be met.
Old May 11th, 2012, 01:38 PM   #32444
Lawrence7
Lawrence

Likes (Received): 2

This spire would look A LOT better if it was white and thicker. See below for examples... What does everyone think?

image hosted on flickr

Lawrence7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 01:54 PM   #32445
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 29160

IMO these are the most misplaced spires ever.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 02:07 PM   #32446
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3547

OMG, so much anger for an imaginary number. This building looks better without that ugly fat spire. The render Otie posted looks far better than renders with that hideous fat cheating stick

I'm happy about this change. At least now 1WTC can proudly proclaim that it doesn't rely on cheating. How can somebody just say that because of a color and width change of the steel stick on top of it this tower becomes trash? I wanted the Twins rebuilt very badly, and I still want it even though I love 1WTC but still I would never abandon 1WTC because of such totally minor design change, as some people here apparently did. This building is essentially still the same as it was so why all that rage?
Old May 11th, 2012, 02:34 PM   #32447
599GTB

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
OMG, so much anger for an imaginary number. This building looks better without that ugly fat spire. The render Otie posted looks far better than renders with that hideous fat cheating stick

I'm happy about this change. At least now 1WTC can proudly proclaim that it doesn't rely on cheating. How can somebody just say that because of a color and width change of the steel stick on top of it this tower becomes trash? I wanted the Twins rebuilt very badly, and I still want it even though I love 1WTC but still I would never abandon 1WTC because of such totally minor design change, as some people here apparently did. This building is essentially still the same as it was so why all that rage?
Dude, shut up and stop harassing people. Your opinion was noted for the 100th time. Let other people voice their opinion. The general consensus is that the antenna looks absolutely nasty. The antenna has scarred this once elegant building. The fact that you find that crappy junkyard leftover antenna hovering over the WTC beautiful speaks volumes of your low levels of taste.

If I recall, you think the Chrysler Building is ugly. That again exposes your embarrassing lack of taste. Thank God you aren't in charge of anything in this city.
599GTB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #32448
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

I talked to Mr. Barowitz, the beacon will still be on the new design
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 02:53 PM   #32449
chipz

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTCNewYork View Post
I thought the spire to antenna change was only proposed.. why are people freaking out?
If it's only proposed why the whole name of this threat was changed?
chipz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 03:06 PM   #32450
I am he

Likes (Received): 5

Why do buildings in NYC have to cheat hight and put a Spire on anyway?? It does not look much better with a stick on top...Take the Bank of america tower or NY times tower, both are well below 300m tall, yet there spire means they go down as over 300m tall - surely that's cheating??
I am he no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 03:14 PM   #32451
Tcha Ya Know What?

Likes (Received): 0

Ok 20 pages of "my opinion" on the new proposed Spire/Antenna is rather irritating, please expend your energy on something positive and please get back to the great photos of this new tower of yours. Furthermore if you feel this strongly about the matter contact Durst or arrange a petition but calm yourselves! That is all!
Tcha Ya Know What? no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 03:30 PM   #32452
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3547

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTB View Post
Dude, shut up and stop harassing people. Your opinion was noted for the 100th time. Let other people voice their opinion. The general consensus is that the antenna looks absolutely nasty. The antenna has scarred this once elegant building. The fact that you find that crappy junkyard leftover antenna hovering over the WTC beautiful speaks volumes of your low levels of taste.

If I recall, you think the Chrysler Building is ugly. That again exposes your embarrassing lack of taste. Thank God you aren't in charge of anything in this city.
I only said my opinion and I know that I said it several times, but fact is at least a dozen other people said their opinion several times so there is nothing wrong with that

And yeah, I agree that we should move back to 1WTC pics and not talk about something which we can't affect. Here are some new pics

image hosted on flickr

Midtown by Matt Champlin, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Tollest building in NYC by Lydia2222, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

World Trade Center / 9.11 Memorial by Daniel Rieder, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

May 10 by terryballard, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Freedom From The Empire by bsquad.nYc, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Freedom Tower. by Mark Himmelsbach, on Flickr
Old May 11th, 2012, 03:47 PM   #32453
yankee fan for life

You got to take bad things life and make them positive in my point of view 1 wtc will be the third tallest building in the U.S.A but in positive light it will be the tallest building by pinnacle standards, unless a compromise is met whats done is done, the world is not going to end the sun will still shine and there will still be plenty of beautiful women.
Old May 11th, 2012, 03:48 PM   #32454
chipz

Likes (Received): 27

JEDDAH | Kingdom Tower | 1007m
NEW YORK | One World Trade Center (1WTC) | 419m
chipz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 03:50 PM   #32455
Tommy Boy
MEGATALLS for AMERICA

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am he View Post
Why do buildings in NYC have to cheat hight and put a Spire on anyway?? It does not look much better with a stick on top...Take the Bank of america tower or NY times tower, both are well below 300m tall, yet there spire means they go down as over 300m tall - surely that's cheating??

Absolutely. I have thought the same thing many times. This building will never be taller than the actually roof height is in my eyes. Spire, antenna what ever they put on at the roof it will still be 1374 feet tall and not 1776 feet tall. The spire is a way to cheat is way up to be taller than it is. This building was DOPED and know it isn't anymore and thats GOOD. The new antenna is not as bad as everybody says, it is. I think it is fifty-fifty in opinions
Tommy Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 04:09 PM   #32456
NewYorkSkyline117

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipz View Post
JEDDAH | Kingdom Tower | 1007m
NEW YORK | One World Trade Center (1WTC) | 419m
That "mile high tower" will never be built, at least in the next 50 years
Old May 11th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #32457
eomer
Bring Constantinople back

Likes (Received): 4727

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
That "mile high tower" will never be built, at least in the next 50 years
1007 m is not a Mile: it's only a bit more than 1 km.
1 Mi = 1609 m or 1.609 km.
A l'aube du cinquième jour, regardez vers l'est
eomer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #32458
Lawrence7
Lawrence

Likes (Received): 2

Can someone please explain why they have cancelled the original spire when you take into consideration the information below...

- The estimated cost of construction of 1WTC is $3.8 BILLION.
- They have decided to go against the original spire design due to it's cost of $20 MILLION which is approximately 0.5% of the overall cost of the tower.
- They re-designed the base which saved them $millions.
Lawrence7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #32459
NewYorkSkyline117

Alright enough with the spire, when's the next jump going to occur and how high will it bring it?
Old May 11th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #32460
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 563

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am he View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
Absolutely. I have thought the same thing many times. This building will never be taller than the actually roof height is in my eyes. Spire, antenna what ever they put on at the roof it will still be 1374 feet tall and not 1776 feet tall. The spire is a way to cheat is way up to be taller than it is. This building was DOPED and know it isn't anymore and thats GOOD. The new antenna is not as bad as everybody says, it is. I think it is fifty-fifty in opinions
Because spires have always been a huge aspect of NY skyscrapers, going back to the New York World Building built in 1890, and continued well into the 20th century with the NY Life Tower, Woolworth, 40 Wall, AI Tower, Singer Building, Chrysler, ESB... But no you're right, it's a conspiracy among NY developers to get cheap height. I know it's the internet, but think before you post.
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center