daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 13th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #32621
599GTB

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
Well this is only one of five buildings ever to reach a roof height 1,250 feet or more in American history
Pathetic.
599GTB no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2012, 09:48 PM   #32622
Rockmont

Likes (Received): 29

Well the best thing is, that Lower Manhattan has its rightful supertall back. As far as the number of buildings reaching 12, 13, or 14 hundred feet in the USA, that's a different issue, unrelated to the tragedy of 9/11. The main focus was to remedy that first.
Rockmont no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 10:18 PM   #32623
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

hopefully we shall see some steel tomorrow.
Old May 13th, 2012, 10:20 PM   #32624
mclancer
Take off, eh!

Likes (Received): 9

Rockmont... well that is true, this could have been a chance to improve the height, and return pride in the "American Skyscraper".
If they really wanted a tribute to the twins, they should have built 2 1WTC.

As for the Spire/antenna issue (chance for my opinion)...

Although I don't like the new antenna design, the old one was not a real spire,
just an antenna cover to get around the height rules ie. spire vs antenna.
They should have had the roof height at 1776', and the "spire" at 2000'.

The time is here, "SUPERTALL FOR TORONTO" !!!
(Man, even the UK & Australia have one!... lol)
mclancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #32625
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

In case you guys did not know, Silverstein wanted to build 2 WTC first, but the PA refused and decided that 1 WTC would be done first. I can't remember if that was before or after Silverstein gave up his stake in 1 WTC, but it is a damn shame. I can't help but think that seeing 2 WTC on the skyline first would have had a greater dramatic impact. Also, if I remember correctly, 2 WTC was originally going to occupy the spot that 1 WTC currently occupies - but that was long ago.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #32626
marsh

Likes (Received): 25

I had always wondered why Silverstein gave up his stake in 1WTC..Since he had to know it would be the most high-profile building on the site, and probably the biggest moneymaker. As it stands now, it's far from certain that 2wtc and 2wtc will ever be anything other than stumps. I see no big loss there though, because I have always thought 2WTC is hideously ugly. It looks like someone took a knife and sliced off the top half. And it wouldn't even be that tall..1WTC will be the star regardless.
marsh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 11:23 PM   #32627
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 5224

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
From the Staten Island ferry,

Full update: http://newyorkyimby.blogspot.com/201...ing-lower.html

It looks so tall and impressive!!

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 11:37 PM   #32628
patrick989

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
I can't help but think that seeing 2 WTC on the skyline first would have had a greater dramatic impact.
I really don't see how a shorter, slanted-roof building would have a greater impact rising first than 1 WTC...
patrick989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 11:41 PM   #32629
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh View Post
I had always wondered why Silverstein gave up his stake in 1WTC..Since he had to know it would be the most high-profile building on the site, and probably the biggest moneymaker. As it stands now, it's far from certain that 2wtc and 2wtc will ever be anything other than stumps. I see no big loss there though, because I have always thought 2WTC is hideously ugly. It looks like someone took a knife and sliced off the top half. And it wouldn't even be that tall..1WTC will be the star regardless.
Well, I'd say Larry still gets a lot of office space having WTCs 2,3,4 and 7. Especially if we consider that he'll receive / he's received government money aid for their construction
Old May 14th, 2012, 12:26 AM   #32630
meh_cd

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick989 View Post
I really don't see how a shorter, slanted-roof building would have a greater impact rising first than 1 WTC...
Perhaps because it is a more striking building than 1 WTC, which most people see as a simple box? (Yes, I realize it is not a box.) There are very few slanted roof supertall buildings in the world. In fact, are there any others? I know the Smurfit-Stone building in Chicago is slanted, but is a shorter building. That was my point. Like it or not, not everyone in the world is obsessed with height. The vast majority do not care.

And perhaps I am misunderstanding your post, but 2 WTC is/will be nearly the same height of 1 WTC's parapet, so I fail to see the point. Especially after the antenna mess.
Old May 14th, 2012, 12:35 AM   #32631
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

It's still shorter than 1WTC, the North Tower and even the South Tower, which in my opinion is a humiliation
Old May 14th, 2012, 12:47 AM   #32632
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Because 2wtc will be the most massive out of all the towers in terms of area
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 12:48 AM   #32633
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Also that slanted building in chicago is pretty much a landmark and it's what, 40 stories? Imagine 2wtc.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 12:52 AM   #32634
marsh

Again, 2WTC (in the renderings) is just ugly in my opinion. Sure, 1WTC may be simple, but it still has that classical shape and you can see elements of historical New York skyscrapers in its design, from the Empire State Building, to the Twins..In my opinion, they should have build a twin of 1WTC..2WTC just looks weird and out of place, and it certainly won't be matching 1WTC in terms of height..I just don't like slanted roof buildings at all. They look half-finished, and 2WTC looks like its roof is about to slide off and fall into the Plaza below..I never have liked 2WTC, but to each their own. They should have done a twin of 1WTC without the antenna...Lastly, again, its FAR from certain that 2WTC and 3WTC will ever be built to their intended designs..1WTC will probably be the only supertall on the site for years.
Old May 14th, 2012, 12:57 AM   #32635
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee fan for life View Post
As i stated before on previous post for me its not about a matter of height, but a matter of closer and renewal and that's what 1 wtc represents for me .
A matter of closure, I believe?

As far as the height is concerned and after looking at that diagram, I am rather annoyed with what has transpired at this site. Asia owns everybody now, and It is a shame in my view that there is nowhere else that has the will to build as tall as they. When you look at all the fantastic 600m towers proposed and built, it is quite easy to start wondering how fantastic a building of such gigantic proportions could have looked in NYC. It would have been a nice counterbalance in a world in which Asia dominates and will continue to dominate for decades to come. Hopefully they don't remain the only continent building hypertall towers.

Last edited by aquablue; May 14th, 2012 at 01:09 AM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 01:03 AM   #32636
marsh

One thing I will say, while Asia may have more supertalls in numbers, NOONE can match the iconic nature of the supertalls that New York and even Chicago have. For instance, all the Asian supertalls run together, no any one stands out. Whereas, we have the gorgeous Empire State Building which is a timeless icon, and even the Sears Tower in terms of it's prominence. Soon we will have 1WTC, which may not break any global height records, but it equals the Twins' height, and it will be another symbol for the city & country. Sometimes less is more! So the US has fewer supertalls than Asia, but our supertalls are more interesting and refined than many generic-looking Asian monstrosities.
Old May 14th, 2012, 01:15 AM   #32637
meh_cd

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh View Post
Again, 2WTC (in the renderings) is just ugly in my opinion. Sure, 1WTC may be simple, but it still has that classical shape and you can see elements of historical New York skyscrapers in its design, from the Empire State Building, to the Twins..In my opinion, they should have build a twin of 1WTC..2WTC just looks weird and out of place, and it certainly won't be matching 1WTC in terms of height..I just don't like slanted roof buildings at all. They look half-finished, and 2WTC looks like its roof is about to slide off and fall into the Plaza below..I never have liked 2WTC, but to each their own. They should have done a twin of 1WTC without the antenna...Lastly, again, its FAR from certain that 2WTC and 3WTC will ever be built to their intended designs..1WTC will probably be the only supertall on the site for years.
Uh? Yeah, it will assuming you ignore the antenna.
Old May 14th, 2012, 01:18 AM   #32638
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

I disagree, I find most Asian supertalls far more cutting-edge and impressive. Although the old beauties are wonderful here in the US, we have many dull supertalls and only a few are standout icons. We are missing out on more radical designs that we see in Asia. Also, the audacity and drive to build taller is now extinguished here in this country, so it seems.

Last edited by aquablue; May 14th, 2012 at 01:27 AM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 01:29 AM   #32639
jardine2000

Likes (Received): 0

These are some of the most important buildings of the 21st century. They represent a turning point for the world. Thick twirly spire or thin elegant spire......makes no difference. This is a wonderful building that will grow to become part of New York. People are just a little afraid of change and have become used to the plans.

Last edited by jardine2000; May 14th, 2012 at 01:51 AM. Reason: spelling
jardine2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 01:37 AM   #32640
marsh

Don't get me wrong, I hope the US will see one or two mega-talls constructed sometime in the future..But the iconic supertalls we have like ESB, Sears, and soon 1WTC will stand alone..I don't like the new antenna for 1WTC either but I still hold out hope a solution can be reached. If not, ah well, maybe we will learn to love it in time lol. And we will have 432 Park soon too.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center