daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 14th, 2012, 02:45 AM   #32641
BeastNYC

Likes (Received): 0

why does 2 wtc look taller than 1 wtc in almost all of the renderings
BeastNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2012, 02:52 AM   #32642
k25150

Likes (Received): 414

Scrap 2 and 3 and build a twin for 1.
k25150 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 03:02 AM   #32643
marsh

Likes (Received): 25

Yeah, my problem with 2 and 3 is that: a). 2wtc looks weird and I can't stand the tilted roof and b.) both 2wtc and 3wtc both look too generic and dull like they could be any bland office buildings in any random large city like Houston or Minneapolis or Dallas...They should have built a twin for 1WTC but its not going to happen so oh well...I think the best tribute they could have done on the site was to build twin supertalls as a tribute to the lost Twin Towers.
marsh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 03:09 AM   #32644
patrick989

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
Perhaps because it is a more striking building than 1 WTC, which most people see as a simple box? (Yes, I realize it is not a box.) There are very few slanted roof supertall buildings in the world. In fact, are there any others? I know the Smurfit-Stone building in Chicago is slanted, but is a shorter building. That was my point. Like it or not, not everyone in the world is obsessed with height. The vast majority do not care.

And perhaps I am misunderstanding your post, but 2 WTC is/will be nearly the same height of 1 WTC's parapet, so I fail to see the point. Especially after the antenna mess.
You're assuming most people would not be impressed with 1 WTC and see it as a "simple box." This is all your own assumptions and opinions, nothing more. You think 2 WTC would have had some kind of greater impact had it risen first, and I think it's just a moot point. 2 WTC was never heralded as the centerpiece of the complex, ever.
patrick989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 03:48 AM   #32645
RandomNameTag
Skyscraper fan

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh View Post
One thing I will say, while Asia may have more supertalls in numbers, NOONE can match the iconic nature of the supertalls that New York and even Chicago have. For instance, all the Asian supertalls run together, no any one stands out. Whereas, we have the gorgeous Empire State Building which is a timeless icon, and even the Sears Tower in terms of it's prominence. Soon we will have 1WTC, which may not break any global height records, but it equals the Twins' height, and it will be another symbol for the city & country. Sometimes less is more! So the US has fewer supertalls than Asia, but our supertalls are more interesting and refined than many generic-looking Asian monstrosities.
Lol! Ignorance at its highest. No wonder many look at us Americans so poorly! Kingkey, Shanghai Tower, and Guangzhou IFC are anything but generic.
RandomNameTag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 04:10 AM   #32646
marsh

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomNameTag View Post
Lol! Ignorance at its highest. No wonder many look at us Americans so poorly! Kingkey, Shanghai Tower, and Guangzhou IFC are anything but generic.

Oh really? Lol THIS you idiot....If you're going to resort to personal attacks.. I am far from ignorant. I was making a generalized statement about the iconic status of skyscrapers for their unique appealing aspects, rather than pure height...Anyone who thinks the Shanghai Tower or some obscure structure called Guangzhou IFC will be as iconic a structure as the Empire State Building or Chrysler buildings is delusional. Height isn't everything. Finesse counts for something. It has nothing to do with the country that particular skyscrapers are in...It has to do with attractiveness and being visually interesting. Next, since you went there, the reason many had a poor view of Americans is due to foreign policy blunders and economic meltdown (oh and electing George W. Bush as president). But, architecture has nothing to do with that. So before you imply "ignorant" again, get your forums clear!
marsh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 04:16 AM   #32647
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Funny, the nicest Asian tower for me is the Moi Center in Shenyang, because of its box shape. I guess the lack of real updates really drives the forum to go off topic.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 04:42 AM   #32648
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Asian supertalls are just super boring. Honestly, I'm getting caught up in 3 wtc, I love it because it's such a Chicago-New York mix because of the criss-crosses and multiple spires on the top. The more I look at the renderings of 4 wtc, the more I love it's simplicity. 1 wtc is not disgraceful or ugly in any way, renderings are just poor for it because it seems disproportionate...as for 2 wtc, it's extremely important because when the sun hits the building when it's September 11th, every Year, it casts a beam of light on the memorial the same time the tower collapsed. Very symbolic without many knowing
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 05:23 AM   #32649
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Lol, didn't know that.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 05:30 AM   #32650
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Asian supertalls are probably the least boring on earth... I'm North American, and while I like our supertalls, most of them are boxes or rather original looking.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 05:32 AM   #32651
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

Wow aquablue you just reminded me of what an hypocrite i am .
Old May 14th, 2012, 06:43 AM   #32652
jhalsey

Likes (Received): 183

It is so reflective, mirrorlike.
jhalsey está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 08:52 AM   #32653
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

whoever put 1374 as the height is jumping to conclusions too quickly, the PA assures it will still be 1776 feet, even though the CTBUH may not agree, we have to wait to see what happens or what kind of agreement can be made instead of jumping the gun

the title should be changed back to 1776 feet 541 meters
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 10:10 AM   #32654
djm160190

Likes (Received): 763

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh View Post
Oh really? Lol THIS you idiot....If you're going to resort to personal attacks.. I am far from ignorant. I was making a generalized statement about the iconic status of skyscrapers for their unique appealing aspects, rather than pure height...Anyone who thinks the Shanghai Tower or some obscure structure called Guangzhou IFC will be as iconic a structure as the Empire State Building or Chrysler buildings is delusional. Height isn't everything. Finesse counts for something. It has nothing to do with the country that particular skyscrapers are in...It has to do with attractiveness and being visually interesting. Next, since you went there, the reason many had a poor view of Americans is due to foreign policy blunders and economic meltdown (oh and electing George W. Bush as president). But, architecture has nothing to do with that. So before you imply "ignorant" again, get your forums clear!
From the Favourite Supertall Project poll (http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...280315&page=12)
it seems that many people would disagree with you about Shanghai Tower not being iconic, attractive and visually interesting.
djm160190 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 10:12 AM   #32655
patrick989

Likes (Received): 12

you realize that if you're both going to be this off-topic, you can just message each other privately? A little common sense, no?
patrick989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 10:26 AM   #32656
Severiano

Likes (Received): 756

This spire crap is idiocy. Of course spires don't count. If they wanted the tallest building in the USA, they should have built it. 1368 feet vs 1451 feet. They could have added 100 feet of extra building and been done with it. They could have also kept the nice spire. Better idea would have been a 1776 foot tall BUILDING, not a 1368 foot tall one with a spire/antenna whatever on top.
Severiano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 01:24 PM   #32657
CxIxMaN

Likes (Received): 877

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
Asian supertalls are just super boring. Honestly, I'm getting caught up in 3 wtc, I love it because it's such a Chicago-New York mix because of the criss-crosses and multiple spires on the top. The more I look at the renderings of 4 wtc, the more I love it's simplicity. 1 wtc is not disgraceful or ugly in any way, renderings are just poor for it because it seems disproportionate...as for 2 wtc, it's extremely important because when the sun hits the building when it's September 11th, every Year, it casts a beam of light on the memorial the same time the tower collapsed. Very symbolic without many knowing
I have to disagree with you. Not all of them are plain boring come on, lets take the Petronas Twin Towers it was the first supertall in Asia and it is an icon for Malaysia. It reflects the country well in its design. Are asian skyscrapers really just plain grey boring? no. They are not going to outshine the greatness of the ESB but they are iconic to an extent. you saying they are super boring is close to harsh.

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones

A.Einstein

Public transport is the way to transportation revolution

A MAYOR of Bogota is reported to have said: “A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation.”
CxIxMaN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 01:35 PM   #32658
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by CxIxMaN View Post
I have to disagree with you. Not all of them are plain boring come on, lets take the Petronas Twin Towers it was the first supertall in Asia and it is an icon for Malaysia. It reflects the country well in its design. Are asian skyscrapers really just plain grey boring? no. They are not going to outshine the greatness of the ESB but they are iconic to an extent. you saying they are super boring is close to harsh.
Well yea the Petronas Towers are nice but after a while you just get too used to them..I think just one tower in a downtown area would be really cool...I like Shanghai Tower however..
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #32659
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Lol, seems like NY is competing with whole Asia now. You people do realize that all those fancy supertalls are in different cities yes? Also, NY doesn't get any government money for its projects (except the WTC), the city builds out of demand only.

And btw a mod should change the thread title...
Old May 14th, 2012, 02:01 PM   #32660
Informative

Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Corey- View Post
It looks so tall and impressive!!
I totally agree, it's bringing the skyline back! But it's not the only thing that looks impressive
Informative no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center