daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 15th, 2012, 12:52 AM   #32701
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2012, 12:57 AM   #32702
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Ranger NYC View Post
Lol, should've made the roof height 1776ft to begin with :p
Agreed. The Sears Tower will always have a higher roof, no matter what happens. The highest stand-able point of each building is the roof, and the Sears has a roof that is a good amount higher. I am saying this, because I want people to get over the height, even if they count it as a spire, everything I said is true. People need to come to terms with the truth, this whole debate shows how meaningless the antennae and spire debate is. It proves that pinnacle and roof are really what matters. The Sears is taller by roof, and the WTC is taller by pinnacle. That's how it will always be. Two equally important measurements. They are both America's tallest.

Although I am happy with what we got, it could have been better.

Last edited by iloveclassicrock7; May 15th, 2012 at 01:04 AM.
iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 12:58 AM   #32703
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Nope, 10 feet more because of the 4 feet column splices and the additional 6 feet compared to older information (older 1368 feet, newer 1374 feet)
Seriously? Good to know so 3 or 4 more jumps?
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 01:08 AM   #32704
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3547

I'd say 3
Old May 15th, 2012, 01:09 AM   #32705
micrip

Likes (Received): 1066

Quote:
This would have been the first antenna in a spire, no other building has something like that, so when they say it's not possible, I believe them
...they said it wasn't possible that the Titanic would sink, and people believed THAT, too.

I guarantee there are rigging experts out there who could easily design servicability into the thing. We can land spacecraft on asteroids, for pete's sake...this should be simple by comparison.

There are reasons it probably won't happen, though...about 20 million of them.
Old May 15th, 2012, 01:14 AM   #32706
NewYorkSkyline117

+1
Old May 15th, 2012, 01:38 AM   #32707
NewYorkSkyline117

Also, since the height was raised by 6 feet, was it actually 1,277 feet instead of 1,271 feet when that steel beam passed the Empire State Building?
Old May 15th, 2012, 01:49 AM   #32708
Jay

Likes (Received): 1864

Quote:
This would have been the first antenna in a spire, no other building has something like that, so when they say it's not possible, I believe them

Then you're gullible, here's SOM's description about the "dangerous" spire...

"The geometry of the radome shell is based on a repeating modular system that allows for easy replacement and erection and also creates a protected maintenance area that is unique in the antenna industry. large helical channels, called strakes, are built into the geometry of the radome and wrap around the spire to direct wind up and away from the structure." http://www.som.com/content.cfm/one_world_trade_center
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 02:04 AM   #32709
FlyFish

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
The way I see it, is that the PA promised 1776 feet, and they want to keep that promise, as does Childs, I have a feeling sh*t is about to hit the fan between them, there is already huge public dissapointment and anger over Durst's decision.

A compromise can be made
Will the little blinking light be at 1,776ft? Yes, then who cares if the council says it counts or not. The STRUCTURE will be 1,776 feet tall. And IMHO Sears will still be the taller BUILDING no matter what they call that needle they are putting on top.
FlyFish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 02:08 AM   #32710
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Sear will be taller but it wont be better. And that's all that matters.
Old May 15th, 2012, 02:09 AM   #32711
NewYorkSkyline117

they've gotta find something, not an encasement, to qualify it as the tallest.
Old May 15th, 2012, 02:09 AM   #32712
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
What Childs wants doesn't matter because he has no say in the construction effort and there is no way the PA would make it again a spire because of the horrendous amount of money it claims maintenance would cost. The antenna is what we're getting
$17,199,000 out of $3.8B. Saving 0.441%.

Last edited by Otie; May 15th, 2012 at 02:14 AM.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 02:22 AM   #32713
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

image hosted on flickr

WTC Tower 1 by tyfihi, on Flickr
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 02:26 AM   #32714
Chapelo

Likes (Received): 688

Chapelo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 03:10 AM   #32715
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

More comments about that joint removed from the roof?
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 03:16 AM   #32716
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
they've gotta find something, not an encasement, to qualify it as the tallest.
UGHH...

Who cares if it's the tallest. The way you are speaking shows that you walk a very thin line. All you care about is having the tallest building, even if you have to cheat to get there.

Also, who cares what the CTBUH council says. They are just one voice in the architecture community, last I checked they aren't God...
Old May 15th, 2012, 03:21 AM   #32717
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFish View Post
Will the little blinking light be at 1,776ft? Yes, then who cares if the council says it counts or not. The STRUCTURE will be 1,776 feet tall. And IMHO Sears will still be the taller BUILDING no matter what they call that needle they are putting on top.
Agreed. Good post.
Old May 15th, 2012, 03:39 AM   #32718
NewYorkSkyline117

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveclassicrock7 View Post
UGHH...

Who cares if it's the tallest. The way you are speaking shows that you walk a very thin line. All you care about is having the tallest building, even if you have to cheat to get there.

Also, who cares what the CTBUH council says. They are just one voice in the architecture community, last I checked they aren't God...
Just because someone wants it to be the tallest doesn't mean they don't care about the building...some of you people need to keep your comments to yourselves, no one here is the number one fan or the know-it-all
Old May 15th, 2012, 03:47 AM   #32719
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
Just because someone wants it to be the tallest doesn't mean they don't care about the building...some of you people need to keep your comments to yourselves, no one here is the number one fan or the know-it-all
Your not getting the point. I am asking why you are so obsessed with it being the tallest, and why do you care so much what some council says ? You realize that them counting the antennae is cheating right ? Do you still want the tallest building even if it's on a technicality ? Spires or antennae's are cheating. Look at federation tower. It is a 360 meter building, but it has a spire that goes to 506 meters, that is absolutely cheating. Imagine how much cheaper that is to make then say a building of the same size that has a roof of 480 meters, and no spire.

Quote:
some of you people need to keep your comments to yourselves
It's a free world, you might want to talk to the government about dropping the bill of rights if that bothers you...
Old May 15th, 2012, 03:52 AM   #32720
Jay

Likes (Received): 1864

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveclassicrock7 View Post
UGHH...

I kind of care, it's silly that Asia and now Russia build buildings that they claim are taller than ours yet lack the roofheight.. America should be able to play the cheating game too, and not even as much that, the spire just LOOKED better with the casing, really, it won't be so hard to find a different, cheaper casing, maybe someone will come to their senses in the next couple of months and save NYC's skyline from this ugly montster of an antenna, the spire was for me, what made the building.

I don't see why it can't just be temporary (The bare antenna I mean) they should build the antenna, then wait until they have sufficient funds from brodcasting to install something better. We've had 1776 thrown in our face for a decade now, to go back on it is unbelievable, literally unbelievable.

America is so stupid sometimes

Last edited by Jay; May 15th, 2012 at 04:05 AM.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center