daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 16th, 2012, 01:27 AM   #32801
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
And that is exactly what I was talking all the time. You can't measure 2 buildings differently, you must measure them equally. The CTBUH measures them in its official height totally unequally. In one building it accepts the same thing that it doesn't accept in another building On the other hand, roof height and pinnacle height measure buildings perfectly equally
If you mean antennas as fordgtman1992 mentioned they are not part of the building, but equipment and we are measuring building not it's equipment. The 300m supertall, whatever shape it is, whether it has a spire or hasn't, when you put 100m ladder on top it still is 300m supertall. That's how ctbuh understand it and it's very reasonable. If it was up to me I would consider counting antennas as well for consistency as they are rather permanently added to the building and much more significant than other elements like air conditioning and such.

We can all end up permanently banned for all that fuss , night is coming, and I'm too tired to continue, so I will end this up leaving you with this dilemma:

Look at the two buildings below. Suppose the right one has higher top floor than the left one. Which is taller?

PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2012, 01:33 AM   #32802
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
If you mean antennas as fordgtman1992 mentioned they are not part of the building, but equipment and we are measuring building not it's equipment. The 300m supertall, whatever shape it is, whether it has a spire or hasn't, when you put 100m ladder on top it still is 300m supertall. That's how ctbuh understand it and it's very reasonable. If it was up to me I would consider counting antennas as well for consistency as they are rather permanently added to the building and much more significant than other elements like air conditioning and such.

We can all end up permanently banned for all that fuss , night is coming, and I'm too tired to continue, so I will end this up leaving you with this dilemma:

Look at the two buildings below. Suppose the right one has higher top floor than the left one. Which building is taller?

Quote:
but equipment and we are measuring building not it's equipment
So if a piece of metal has some function to help broadcasting in a city, it automatically cannot be counted ? Well that makes no sense.
iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 01:47 AM   #32803
this_city

Likes (Received): 894

you know what would be lovely... some photos of 1WTC..... or am I visiting the wrong thread for that??
this_city no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 01:48 AM   #32804
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveclassicrock7 View Post
So just because I have a different opinion, it's garbage ? Not to mention, that lots of people have come on here agreed with me and Kanto.
yea but you blabber on & on about it when no one cares, no offense...
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 01:51 AM   #32805
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
yea but you blabber on & on about it when no one cares, no offense...
A lot of people do care. Marsh, Kanto, the tallest building, etc... all agreed with me
Old May 16th, 2012, 02:19 AM   #32806
BeastNYC

Likes (Received): 0

CAN WE JUST PLZ GET BACK TO CONSTRUCTION PROGRESS AND PICTURES AND QUIT WORRYING ABOUT THE DARN BLESSED SPIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BeastNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 02:21 AM   #32807
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

image hosted on flickr

*SEE LARGE* Pre-Dawn & New York City on May 13, 2012 by mudpig, on Flickr
Old May 16th, 2012, 02:27 AM   #32808
The tallest building

Likes (Received): 5

I agree with beast. lets all conclude that any structure that has ANY use for the building can be included in the height. PERIOD. kthxbye
PS: with my rule, spires, which are just for show, are not included in height while antennas are, spires can be incouded if the roof ends in a point.
The tallest building no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 02:44 AM   #32809
patrick989

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by this_city View Post
you know what would be lovely... some photos of 1WTC..... or am I visiting the wrong thread for that??
Nope, now we just get pages of tedious bickering to skip through. Or people post the same pictures that were already posted (such as the picture a few posts above this one)
patrick989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 02:55 AM   #32810
cincobarrio
Lurker

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
Perhaps because it is a more striking building than 1 WTC, which most people see as a simple box?
Sounds a lot like how people spoke of the old towers before their demise.
cincobarrio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 03:00 AM   #32811
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Usually when it's cloudy, there aren't very many update pictures.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 03:04 AM   #32812
marsh

Likes (Received): 25

No worries. I'm over the spire/antenna issue anyways. Moving on..1WTC will be a very cool skyscraper when finished regardless. Getting so close to topping out.
Maybe a nice July 4th present!
marsh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 03:05 AM   #32813
Jongeheer

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Usually when it's cloudy, there aren't very many update pictures.
Still, errbody stop the nitpicking, please.
Jongeheer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 03:11 AM   #32814
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh View Post
No worries. I'm over the spire/antenna issue anyways. Moving on..1WTC will be a very cool skyscraper when finished regardless. Getting so close to topping out.
Maybe a nice July 4th present!
Yeah I am moving on too. About July 4th, I expect it to top out in June, and finish at the end of Summer.
Old May 16th, 2012, 03:16 AM   #32815
NewYorkSkyline117

Quote:
A lot of people do care. Marsh, Kanto, the tallest building, etc... all agreed with me
you're right alot of people...all three of them
Old May 16th, 2012, 03:17 AM   #32816
The tallest building

the spire shouldnt take long to finish. oh well, when madagascar comes out will be the time this tower tops out. hakuna matata about the spire, they count 1776 feet and that is what I am proud about, it doesnt always matter about height, it matters about iconism. when you make a list of worlds most iconic buildings, this one comes first, even now.
Old May 16th, 2012, 03:20 AM   #32817
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch009 View Post
First off, please don't bite my head off if I am repeating what's already been discussed. I have been following this project for a long time on this site, but not nearly as closely as you all and this is the first time I've felt compelled to post, mainly because I have nothing to offer

I know you all have been discussing the new antenna, and I have looked back at many a post. But I am still confused as to what the actual roof will look like at this point? Mainly because when you go to www.wtc.com they have a new video on the first page with the older roof render (which is the one I love). Yet I thought the (in my opinion hideous-) ring was the current choice?

Any help would be appreciated. I really wish they'd go with the one in the new video - it looks fantastic.

Thanks.
The ring you're refering to is named Communications Platform Ring and its design changed a while back ino a more exposed version.
image hosted on flickr

1 WTC | Rooftop by Otie O'Daniel, on Flickr

The video you saw at wtc.com was produced by Piranha, the same CGI company who also made the first animation for the site. Since the Port Authority became owner and developer of Tower One, Silverstein stopped being involved in the project, having no updated architectural drawings of it. Piranha, being hired by Silverstein, just received architectural papers for Towers 2,3 and 4. The result? A great CGI movie depicting accurate models of Tower 2, 3 and 4, while showing the earliest version of Tower 1.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 03:20 AM   #32818
The tallest building

Quote:
So just because I have a different opinion, it's garbage ? Not to mention, that lots of people have come on here agreed with me and Kanto.
one man's garbage is another man's treasure so just dont listen to his opinion and watch this tower rise as steel gets bolted in, glass gets fitted in, and concrete gets poured in.
Old May 16th, 2012, 03:39 AM   #32819
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Does anyone know when they will put the rest of the glass up ?
Old May 16th, 2012, 03:57 AM   #32820
NewYorkSkyline117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
The ring you're refering to is named Communications Platform Ring and its design changed a while back ino a more exposed version.
image hosted on flickr

1 WTC | Rooftop by Otie O'Daniel, on Flickr

The video you saw at wtc.com was produced by Piranha, the same CGI company who also made the first animation for the site. Since the Port Authority became owner and developer of Tower One, Silverstein stopped being involved in the project, having no updated architectural drawings of it. Piranha, being hired by Silverstein, just received architectural papers for Towers 2,3 and 4. The result? A great CGI movie depicting accurate models of Tower 2, 3 and 4, while showing the earliest version of Tower 1.
Wait so there will only be 3 bare metal rings with none of those satellite dishes on it?

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center