daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 16th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #32861
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveclassicrock7 View Post
There is no reason to change it back. It has a roof height of 1374, and a pinnacle of 1776
The official height will likely not change from 1776 feet, it was all media speculation. It's not really set it stone yet, why would you not listen to the official website and CTBUH?

And who cares about morse code? That's not even bad news.

That original spire design of the thick lattice was amazing I agree yet the spire is already assembled so they just need to come up with an alternative coating, Am I the only one who actually believes Childs when he says he and the PA will come up with an alternative design?
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2012, 08:15 PM   #32862
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

That other spire design is incredibly tacky. Plus the new antenna design is just as thick as the old North Antenna, if not thicker.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #32863
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by whd13b View Post
It amazes me how much disagreement can go on over a dressed up antennae and how tall a building actually is. The bottom line is, all buildings tall or not tall, should be measured to it's roof. Not the top of a "sphere" or Ferris wheel or anything else that might "sit" on top of it's roof. I just think it is completely cheating if you count an antennae within the height when comparing to other buildings. If I designed and built a building that was 1000 feet tall to the roof and someone built a building that was 600 feet to the roof right next to me but with a 401 foot antennae, or sphere if you will, I would be pretty pissed if someone labeled it as the taller building. "Building" being the key word. Just my opinion and I'm sure most would agree.
Tell me where Burj Khalifa's roof is. Shanghai Tower? Petronas Towers? Al Hamra Tower? Hell, even the Empire State Building?

Just because some buildings have a clear cut roof such as this tower does not mean that all towers do. That's why the CTBUH doesn't recognize "roof height" anymore. That measurement is obsolete. I can't believe it's so hard for people to grasp this concept.
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #32864
The tallest building

Likes (Received): 5

STOP TALKING ABOUT THE SPIRE HERE! http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...3#post91438633
I started a new thread about this discussion. thank you.
The tallest building no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #32865
whd13b

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_man12345 View Post
Tell me where Burj Khalifa's roof is. Shanghai Tower? Petronas Towers? Al Hamra Tower? Hell, even the Empire State Building?

Just because some buildings have a clear cut roof such as this tower does not mean that all towers do. That's why the CTBUH doesn't recognize "roof height" anymore. That measurement is obsolete. I can't believe it's so hard for people to grasp this concept.
It's not a question of it being too hard to grasp as it is just not realistic. If you give me the designs of all the buildings listed, I have no doubt I could come up with a "roof" height for all. If you use the Empire State Building as an example, even though a large portion of the top is decorative, it is just that...decorative. Just because The CTBUH doesn't recognize "roof height" any more doesn't mean it makes sense. An antennae, whether covered in fiberglass or not, is still an antennae and not a building, nor should it be counted as such.
whd13b no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 09:40 PM   #32866
chipz

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
The solution to the panel "problem" has existed since the new design for 1 WTC was unveiled in 2005. I present to you the original design for the antenna enclosure:

Thanks to NY Guy at SSP for posting the rendering. I had been trying to find it for a few days but no luck.
Much better than the 2nd option mosquito antenna
chipz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #32867
Mercenary

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
The solution to the panel "problem" has existed since the new design for 1 WTC was unveiled in 2005. I present to you the original design for the antenna enclosure:

Very Nice. I really like it.

I hope they can install some lights and lasers in that antenna and it will add some visual flair to the antenna like the ESB's spire.

I really hope they go for this.
Mercenary no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 10:07 PM   #32868
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

they didn't go for 7 years, so it's not likely they'll go for it now.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
kingsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #32869
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
The official height will likely not change from 1776 feet, it was all media speculation. It's not really set it stone yet, why would you not listen to the official website and CTBUH?

And who cares about morse code? That's not even bad news.

That original spire design of the thick lattice was amazing I agree yet the spire is already assembled so they just need to come up with an alternative coating, Am I the only one who actually believes Childs when he says he and the PA will come up with an alternative design?
Yes, because most of us understand how business works.

This building will always be 419 meters, but I would still like to see the old spire because it looked a lot better.

iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 11:05 PM   #32870
Tommy Boy
MEGATALLS for AMERICA

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
The cut backs to this project is downright pathetic.

Really shows how far down USA has come.

In 1930, ESB was build in 1 year 2 months. And in 2012, it is taken over 7 years to get this building built with so much hassle.
AGREE.

I have also thought about that many many times in here.
When you see the construction of ESB, chrysler and the twins they build it much faster then today.
And today we have modern tools. I don't understamd it. Look at china and arabworld they build in record spped 24/7
Tommy Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 11:10 PM   #32871
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Here is what the new antennae design will look like far away

Old May 16th, 2012, 11:31 PM   #32872
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

ugh it's so gross.

http://observer.com/2012/05/16/wtc/
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 11:35 PM   #32873
marsh

Likes (Received): 25

True, in those days, when they set their minds to building something, they build it. They weren't bogged down by a lot of bullshit and bureaucratic red tape. The The main problem with the pace of 1WTC's construction was that it was hampered by the Port Authority's crap and interference. The PA has proven itself to be largely inept. And it certainly is NOT a construction/design agency! Big supertall buildings just go up faster when they are privately run, have a simple end-goal, and basic benchmarks and timelines to meet. Luckily, I feel pretty confident that 432 Park will be very different, and we will see it rise a lot quicker than 1WTC...Due to the lack of Port Authority and bureaucratic involvement. Period.
marsh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 11:35 PM   #32874
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
AGREE.

I have also thought about that many many times in here.
When you see the construction of ESB, chrysler and the twins they build it much faster then today.
And today we have modern tools. I don't understamd it. Look at china and arabworld they build in record spped 24/7
There are much stricter building codes today than there were during the 30's. Buildings used to be erected with very little planking on previous floors. Which left plenty of room for workers to fall through. We also have stricter wind restrictions for crane operations. Nobody considered things like safety lines or netting back in the 1930's either.

Six workers died building the Hanoi Landmark Tower. Another six died on the ICC in Hong Kong. 17 died (directly and indirectly) building the orignal WTC. Four people have died so far in the new WTC (two building 7WTC, and 2 firefighters involved in a fire at the Deutsche Bank Building). It's taking a lot longer to build in the US than years past, or compared to other countries. But I'd say it's for the best.

spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 11:36 PM   #32875
marsh

Likes (Received): 25

If they would at least add on the dishes to the rings, it looks like rolls of barbed wire. Just like an ugly antenna out of Russia.
marsh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 11:37 PM   #32876
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22577

with the encasing gone the beacon reminds me of Excalibur from Ace Combat Zero

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66uztXuzaUo

i wonder if it shoots laser too
wouldn't be surprised if i'm the only person who knows this game

Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 11:38 PM   #32877
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post

That doesn't look like a spire or antennae. It looks like a really large pipe with vault turning handles all the way up... disgusting...

Old May 16th, 2012, 11:39 PM   #32878
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

The antenna will be dark grey and white, not brown like that photo above makes it appear. And they ARE adding dishes!

ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 11:44 PM   #32879
Portskydiver

Likes (Received): 3

I hope the antenna is painted white like you said! If not, it would just look all rusted over and gross. Can we get a picture of the new antenna with some dishes on it? In white?
Portskydiver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 11:46 PM   #32880
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
The antenna will be dark grey and white, not brown like that photo above makes it appear. And they ARE adding dishes!
How do you know what they're painting it? And does anyone know if this beacon is just going to be a light at the top of the building or will there be visible beams of light protruding from the top?

NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center