daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 18th, 2012, 04:04 PM   #33021
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
The economy is not so hot right now, I would give it time.
I hope you're right. I would love to see new world's tallest buildings rise in the US in the decades to come

Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #33022
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1284

Great angle. <3

By: TECTONIC, from WiredNYC.
Old May 18th, 2012, 06:08 PM   #33023
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5338

There we have our twins.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #33024
NewYorker2009

Likes (Received): 133

Wow, this pic is great. From this perspective it looks as if One World Trade Center and Beekman Tower are the same height making them look like Twin Towers.
NewYorker2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #33025
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5338

-_-
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 06:30 PM   #33026
CF221

Likes (Received): 811

The Twins are back!!!
Old May 18th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #33027
Jay

Likes (Received): 1865

it kinda does look like that... eerie
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 07:57 PM   #33028
Tommy Boy
MEGATALLS for AMERICA

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I think that was a very good article. It wasn't pleasant to read it but it was true. The new WTC is only a shell of what it should have been. This rebuilding effort was THE greatest chance of building something more iconic and taller than anything this planet has ever seen and what did we get? Buildings that are utterly uniconic with a height that an average Chinese city can beat. I don't wanna rant here, but this complex is one big, shy apology. Something like "sorry, but we aren't bold enough anymore to rise to the records, but here you have something that maybe might interest you".

What I would love to see would surely be a skyscraper race back in the U.S.

I do not understand the fuss to have a spire or antenna. In my eyes it does not matter for the ceiling height is what matters. The most symbolic, historical and patriotic is to have many or at least two buildings at the height of precisely 1776 feet tall at the ground zero, ROOF HEIGHT. It would had every one to brag about. I saw before me a observations deck in one of the buildings at 1776 feet up in the sky. Probably the worlds tallest observations deck on top of a building

I know they built after the demand but I think it would have long queues to have their companies and their operations in these buildings. Then P.A, silverstein, einstein, Durst and everyone else involved had continued to build higher and higher. That's what I think.

In the end it would have results in that the new wtc complex would be twice as taller then the old once. Thats what I think when it comes to the demand of office space in New York City

AMEN

Last edited by Tommy Boy; May 18th, 2012 at 08:03 PM.
Tommy Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #33029
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
it kinda does look like that... eerie
Yeah, it's an eerie reminder of what have the PA and Larry robbed from us
Old May 18th, 2012, 08:01 PM   #33030
Chapelo

Likes (Received): 688

It does look like the Twins, but it's going to be backwards once the tower is complete.
Chapelo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 10:00 PM   #33031
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by gugi182 View Post
Where was this picture taken from?
Tourne Park in NJ
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #33032
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF221 View Post
Sounds like a bunch of bigotry to me...
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #33033
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

i know the guy who wrote it was totally inaccurate on some details such as this building will be shorter..
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #33034
phoenixboi08

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
i know the guy who wrote it was totally inaccurate on some details such as this building will be shorter..
True. But I guess my point is that, ultimately, I don't get why it matters how tall the building is...if it looks good, it looks good...
I don't know why everything has to be a pissing contest anyways.

I also think those people should step away from their computers and reflect: honestly, you think that building something like the Shanghai Tower would be as feasable in NY?

1) no, they need all the office space they can get
2) it's much cheaper to do construction in China - not just labor, but materials too.

All this self-depreciation is so unsightly...
I LOVED living in Shanghai, but at the end of the day, I'll be the first to point out that it's a cultural desert...NY is far from it.

So, can we just get back to appreciating the grass we DO have in our lawn, whether it's as green as we'd desire or not?
Old May 18th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #33035
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
Yea, agreed, he's an overly negative bigot.
Old May 18th, 2012, 10:49 PM   #33036
Rockmont

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
In some ways it was. It sounded like he was blaming, the Arab race and painting the Middle East with a broad brush, when it was a few extremists, who don't represent the whole Arab race, and the Middle East. Remember Bin Laden and his group of deranged barbarians, are the same as Hitler and the Nazis were to and are to Germany. Those skyscrapers in the Middle East, have nothing to do with Al Qaeda. Those bastards are too far back in the dark ages, to come up with something like that. As for China, none of those skyscrapers started to rise, until Capitalism was allowed to somewhat exist there. Hopefully the Commies will figure that out at some point and acknowledge that their system, has no credibility to it whatsoever.
Rockmont no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 10:51 PM   #33037
phoenixboi08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmont View Post
In some ways it was. It sounded like he was blaming, the Arab race and painting the Middle East with a broad brush, when it was a few extremists, who don't represent the whole Arab race, and the Middle East. Remember Bin Laden and his group of deranged barbarians, are the same as Hitler and the Nazis were to and are to Germany. Those skyscrapers in the Middle East, have nothing to do with Al Qaeda. Those bastards are too far back in the dark ages, to come up with something like that. As for China, none of those skyscrapers started to rise, until Capitalism was allowed to somewhat exist there. Hopefully the Commies will figure that out at some point and acknowledge that their system, has no credibility to it whatsoever.
China is as capitalist as they come...but that's neither here nor there.
Old May 18th, 2012, 10:52 PM   #33038
marsh

Likes (Received): 25

It is true that there has been a lull in supertall construction in New York basically since the 70s, when the Twins were built...But that's nothing new...It is cyclical...In the late 1920s and early 30s, there was a skyscraper boom in the city, and we got such gems as the Chrysler Building & the timeless, gorgeous Empire State Building...But then the Depression happened and there were no more supertalls planned or build until the 1960s, when the World Trade Center/Twin Towers was born. So from the 1930s until the 1960s there was no supertalls built in the city at all.

Today, we are in an exciting time for supertalls because after about a 40 year lull, we are finally seeing a resurgence in supertall planning and construction! We have 1WTC of course, soon to be completed..And we also have 432 Park under construction, and Hudson Yards under construction. Supertalls are becoming attractive to developers in the city again because of their ability to fit many people in one central space, and also the competitiveness. So just like people in the 30s remembered seeing the ESB going up, and people in the 70s saw the Twins going up, we have the chance to watch 1WTC, 432 Park, and others go up. Its a fun time for supertalls indeed.
marsh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 11:11 PM   #33039
Jay

we will see them much more often these days as well, no more 40 year periods between supertall development given they are becoming so much more common these days.
Old May 18th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #33040
percy07
Shallow & Pedantic

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
Wow, this pic is great. From this perspective it looks as if One World Trade Center and Beekman Tower are the same height making them look like Twin Towers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1807 View Post
-_-

I laughed so hard when I saw this.
percy07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center