daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 25th, 2012, 06:28 AM   #33341
RambleOn1972

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapelo View Post
No, it was just moved to a hangar at JFK because the park is being redone. Eventually it may end up at Liberty Park.
Wow, I must have been one of the last ones to see it then, on the 21st . Now I feel so privileged!

image hosted on flickr

IMG_2030 by RambleOn1972, on Flickr
RambleOn1972 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2012, 07:29 AM   #33342
Chapelo

Likes (Received): 686

Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleOn1972 View Post
Wow, I must have been one of the last ones to see it then, on the 21st . Now I feel so privileged!

image hosted on flickr

IMG_2030 by RambleOn1972, on Flickr
Whoops, sorry, I should have proofread that before I submitted it . It's scheduled to be moved to a hangar at JFK until a permanent home (most likely at Liberty Park) is found.

Last edited by Chapelo; May 25th, 2012 at 07:49 AM.
Chapelo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 07:43 AM   #33343
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdmd10 View Post
There's going to be some food service up there though on the observation floors, and probably a fast-casual type of restaurant.

http://articles.businessinsider.com/...rs-observatory
I know that, but I don't consider some kind of vague "food service" on the observation deck to be on par with the return of Windows on the World, which was going to happen in some fashion until recently. We aren't even getting a classy bar up there.

Not to mention Shake Shack is overrated as hell.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 08:01 AM   #33344
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapelo View Post
Whoops, sorry, I should have proofread that before I submitted it . It's scheduled to be moved to a hangar at JFK until a permanent home (most likely at Liberty Park) is found.
It's so obvious to me that it should be moved back to the site. Surely they could find a spot somewhere for it. Isn't the original location somewhere within the memorial site?
Old May 25th, 2012, 08:08 AM   #33345
Chapelo

Likes (Received): 686

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
It's so obvious to me that it should be moved back to the site. Surely they could find a spot somewhere for it. Isn't the original location somewhere within the memorial site?
Yes, the original location would put it smack dab in the middle of the memorial, approximately where the museum is. Apparently they didn't want to incorporate it into the memorial because they "don't want 9/11 artifacts cluttering up the memorial plaza."

The (proposed) site for The Sphere is south of the memorial, on the same plot of land where 130 Liberty Street and the church used to stand.
Chapelo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 08:30 AM   #33346
BritneySpearsRocks93

Likes (Received): 1

So to me it looks like they scrapped the idea of recreating fulton street? In this new rendering the photo is depicted from the memorial it looks like and if you notice there is not street, just the memorial plaza extended into 1WTC's plaza...See for yourself.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...ntent=Business
BritneySpearsRocks93 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 12:04 PM   #33347
oli83

Likes (Received): 999

The rendering was made to illustrate the base cladding. In those kind of renderings, the surroundings often don't match with the real world. In this case, I think the designer didn't want to add any cars in the scene so that it looks nicer..

They already constructed many layers of the base of Fulton Street, so I don't think they will remove it.. the only question is if access is restricted for bypassers
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 12:33 PM   #33348
BritneySpearsRocks93

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli83 View Post
The rendering was made to illustrate the base cladding. In those kind of renderings, the surroundings often don't match with the real world. In this case, I think the designer didn't want to add any cars in the scene so that it looks nicer..

They already constructed many layers of the base of Fulton Street, so I don't think they will remove it.. the only question is if access is restricted for bypassers
Well we know pedestrians have full access to the entire grounds besides typical restricted areas clearly, however I wouldn't mind if they did get rid of it, I like the idea of a super block better then having streets cut across the site.
BritneySpearsRocks93 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 02:41 PM   #33349
the man from k-town
Frankfurt-Lover <3

Likes (Received): 6780

image hosted on flickr

IMG_8403 von ktorster auf Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Untitled von diffusedmind auf Flickr

this is epic:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/7265109854/
Old May 25th, 2012, 02:51 PM   #33350
Valkyre

Likes (Received): 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
WOW.
[IMG]http://i50.************/2pqjn1y.jpg[/IMG]
Taken By: Paul Bonnar

I didnīt save his Flickr account in my bookmarks, so i canīt provide a link as source.
I believe "wow" is an understatement....

this is just.... EPIC! One of the most impressive skyline/1WC shots I have seen here... Amazing!
Valkyre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #33351
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritneySpearsRocks93 View Post
So to me it looks like they scrapped the idea of recreating fulton street? In this new rendering the photo is depicted from the memorial it looks like and if you notice there is not street, just the memorial plaza extended into 1WTC's plaza...See for yourself.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...ntent=Business
Here's the render.

spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #33352
oli83

Likes (Received): 999

"In a Crane at 1,100 Feet, There Is No Room for Error"

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/22/ny...?_r=1&src=recg

oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 05:15 PM   #33353
Jongeheer

Likes (Received): 217

To this day I am amazed by the fact that the Sphere survived the attacks that well.

Jongeheer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #33354
PABLOEING

Likes (Received): 28

ŋ23 meters to the roof?
PABLOEING no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #33355
sundrop74
Skyscraper Aficionado

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
WOW.
[IMG]http://i50.************/2pqjn1y.jpg[/IMG]
Taken By: Paul Bonnar

I didnīt save his Flickr account in my bookmarks, so i canīt provide a link as source.
I found this photo on Flickr. No downloading allowed unfortunately. =(

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shabdro...es-markluethi/
sundrop74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 05:35 PM   #33356
fish

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
No food at all on the observation deck of the Sears (Willis) Tower.. unless you count the fudge you can buy in the gift shop. It's good fudge, about 20 different flavors. $6 for a slab about the size of a stick of butter. I recommend Mocha Peanut Butter.

My guess is that like the Sears Tower observation deck, the amount of people visiting is so huge that they really want to move these people along.
Have you ever been to NY before?
None of the observation floors have restaurants.

There are other express elevators for that.
The surprise for this particular tower is a "Shake Shack" instead of a more classic world-class fine-dining restaurant.
Old May 25th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #33357
fish

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Sure I've been to NY. Never to any observation decks there tho, I hate lines. Even if you buy a "fast pass" ($25) to get to the front of the security checkpoints, you still end up waiting in line about an hour to get to the top of the Sears Tower. Lord help you if you buy the regular $15 or $20 passes.. you'll be there for hours, and still have to sit through this mandatory god awful movie that is so outdated that it claims the Sears Tower is the tallest in the world...
HaHa !!
We have the same thing at the ESB too !!

Oh and let's not forget that the Sears name was changed some time back to Willis.
Old May 25th, 2012, 06:02 PM   #33358
parsonsnose
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

Wot you talkinbout willis?
parsonsnose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #33359
fish

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Yeah, but no one calls it that yet. Even the gift shop(s) have "Sears (Willis) Tower" with Willis in parenthesis on everything. Give it a couple decades for people to get used to the new name.

Speaking of those films, I asked a security guard why it was mandatory a long time ago. It turns out that the audience is filmed and observed during it, and it gives a chance for security to check out any suspicious characters. Same deal with the mandatory tourist photos that they make you stand for and then try to sell you. They want to document every face that enters the area. So, it's all a security thing. Pretty slick idea really.
I usually say, "no thanks" to the photos and head straight to the elevator.
What a complete fraud!

I hate it when they do that at restaurants -- then they charge you for the photo!
Oh wait -- never mind -- no thanks!
Old May 25th, 2012, 07:03 PM   #33360
deadhead262

Likes (Received): 223

Quote:
Sure I've been to NY. Never to any observation decks there tho, I hate lines. Even if you buy a "fast pass" ($25) to get to the front of the security checkpoints, you still end up waiting in line about an hour to get to the top of the Sears Tower. Lord help you if you buy the regular $15 or $20 passes.. you'll be there for hours, and still have to sit through this mandatory god awful movie that is so outdated that it claims the Sears Tower is the tallest in the world...
When i went up the esb last year we went straight up but by the time we left the people trying to go up were being told they would wait 2+ hours just to get in the elevator and the observation deck was already packed.
deadhead262 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center