daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 4th, 2007, 06:13 AM   #3341
mudvayneimn
Evry City Nds a Blk Box!

Likes (Received): 17

As it has been stated many times, once the tower has reached street level, pace will really pick up. The foundation and basement floors from the FT are more complex than for a normal building. Plus you throw in everything else that has happened with the site (i.e. design, redesign, bureaucracy), now that there is actual visual progress going on, you'd think these types of posts would come to an end...silly me. oh, and you ruined my avatar with that post!

Maybe I missed a memo or two but did they ever start working 24/7 at the WTC site, or was that idea shot down?

Last edited by mudvayneimn; December 4th, 2007 at 06:28 AM.
mudvayneimn está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 4th, 2007, 07:26 AM   #3342
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Well I think it's something like 20/7 work. There's always something going on. The PA has to complete the slurry walls by the last day of December or they get fined for being late. Towers 3 and 4 start up on Jan 2, and in June, 99 Church Street and Tower 2 will start up, which is when Freedom Tower will start to rise as fast as we are seeing the GS Tower go up. By 2009, I bet that most of the base will be completed.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 02:38 PM   #3343
Daquan13
BANNED

Likes (Received): 31

According to info posted here not too long ago, the bathtub on the east side of Ground Zero was supposed to be completed.
Daquan13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 12:52 AM   #3344
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

It seems like the formwork for the southern core has been moved up. Not sure but that is what it looks like.
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 01:02 AM   #3345
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10139

gee how can you work in such conditions? we hate it here in sydney when it gets to 12C.
Old December 5th, 2007, 01:26 AM   #3346
Daquan13
BANNED

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post
It seems like the formwork for the southern core has been moved up. Not sure but that is what it looks like.

Yeah, I strongly believe that it HAS started to rise! I've come to realise that a building of this magnetude has to be carefully undertaken, which means that it might seem slow at times.

But they all have to try to remember that as loong as the core is not high enough, then the steel frame won't start being put up, since the core helps to bear the weight of the whole thing.

Culwulla, yeah. One of the most brutal times of the year to be working outside in construction.

Which is why if I EVER get another job, it won't be outside if I can help it!
Daquan13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 02:14 AM   #3347
ramvid01

The amount of rebar going into the core is ridiculous. I guess you can say its very comparable to an early set back (first or second) for the trump tower. All you have to do is look at the webcam and just see all that rebar sticking out (and they still have a ways to go before they rebar the 2nd floor for the core).

I am very sure the amount of rebar has to do with the fact that the PATH keeps the core from being square on the first floor.
Old December 5th, 2007, 02:42 AM   #3348
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

You mean the lowest floor? About 30 feet below grade?
Because the core isn't distorted on the first floor (street level), according to the floor plans I've seen.

^They'll be building that in June.

From what I understand, that meter-plus thick wall of concrete around the base only rises about 20 or 50 feet high to prevent *******s from driving a truck bomb into the core, but there's also a lot of those small pillars that prevent vehicles from getting close to the building.
Sticking up from the wall will be massive columns, and we'll always be able to see them, even after the tower's completed. When we see them, that's when we really start to party.

The mega columns rise from the top of the entrances of the tower.

Simple and iconic. People will be able to know that it's the WTC at first glance.

I'm sure that all of the entrances are made out of clear glass and you'll be able to see the structure keeping it in place, like with 7WTC. It's really going to make people happy. It's like an upgrade from 7WTC.

Last edited by Ebola; December 5th, 2007 at 03:00 AM.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 02:48 AM   #3349
ramvid01

Yes the first basement floor.
Old December 5th, 2007, 05:30 AM   #3350
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 5222

The basement of 7th World Trade Center is i like it..

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 06:15 AM   #3351
WonderlandPark
nomadist

Likes (Received): 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrysxy View Post
The basement of 7th World Trade Center is i like it..
Yes, I agree, never seen that photo before. Awesome blue cave.
Old December 5th, 2007, 06:16 AM   #3352
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post
iirc it's on the 2nd level still? been on 2nd level for about two weeks :S
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 06:22 AM   #3353
tampaguy75

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
in the last 1-2 weeks i couldn't see much progress on the cam
What is the URL link to the live cam?
tampaguy75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 06:24 AM   #3354
D.D.
BANNED

Likes (Received): 39

damn...freedom tower is going too slow for my tastes. When is this tower supposed to be done anyways?
D.D. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 06:24 AM   #3355
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Old December 5th, 2007, 08:03 AM   #3356
mudvayneimn
Evry City Nds a Blk Box!

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy75 View Post
What is the URL link to the live cam?
Here's the link to the Earthcam webcam looking at the WTC site.
Old December 5th, 2007, 07:39 PM   #3357
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 36

Re: the spire. Does anyone else think it would be interesting if the spire were bulged near, but not quite at, the bottom, so that the effect would be the tower looking from the distance like a lit candle? To me, this would be fitting in a number of ways:

1. Solves the problem of putting a spire on a design that really doesn't call for one, by giving it some sort of frame of reference
2. Serves much symbolic purpose, sort of as an analogue to the Statue of Liberty's flame indicating "freedom enlightening the world"
3. Indicates a sort of "perpetual flame" for the victims of 9/11, along with being instantly distinctive and indicative of a solemn site.

Just my thoughts. If you hate the idea, fine, de gustibus non est disputandum. Let me know what you think, though.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #3358
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

I love that idea, but I think everything will remain as is.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 10:17 PM   #3359
BrooklynNYC

Likes (Received): 7

Clever idea though...
BrooklynNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 11:57 PM   #3360
MDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADCS View Post
Re: the spire. Does anyone else think it would be interesting if the spire were bulged near, but not quite at, the bottom, so that the effect would be the tower looking from the distance like a lit candle? To me, this would be fitting in a number of ways:

1. Solves the problem of putting a spire on a design that really doesn't call for one, by giving it some sort of frame of reference
2. Serves much symbolic purpose, sort of as an analogue to the Statue of Liberty's flame indicating "freedom enlightening the world"
3. Indicates a sort of "perpetual flame" for the victims of 9/11, along with being instantly distinctive and indicative of a solemn site.

Just my thoughts. If you hate the idea, fine, de gustibus non est disputandum. Let me know what you think, though.
Definently, perfect idea, i wish you could send it to someone at the head of the project so they could change the design, best idea ive heard in a while!
MDguy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center