daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 4th, 2012, 10:59 PM   #33641
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveclassicrock7 View Post
lol, just because they mention 1776 feet, doesn't mean that will be the height. Until the CTBUH says that it is 1776 feet to the pinnacle it is undefined. IT is a CTBUH measurement, they don't have a monopoly on this stuff.

The CTBUH says it's 1776 feet, they changed it back from 1374 weeks ago, check their website. It says the "architectual height" is 1776.

Although they are wrong on the occupied height, so there's a chance even they aren't the most reliable source.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2012, 11:03 PM   #33642
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
But common people don't care about it being 1776 feet in official height. To common people height is unimportant. They most probably already forgot the 1776 figure anyway and they most probably haven't got a clue of the 1374 figure either
It's fine let these people be oblivious to the truth. You know what they say, Ignorance is bliss, and man are these people ignorant.

Based off of what they are saying, I am going to say that the John Hancock Center is a 459 meter building. Those antennae on the top are huge and should count before this should. I also say the ESB is a 441 meter building now, so is everyone happy now ?
Old June 4th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #33643
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
The CTBUH says it's 1776 feet, they changed it back from 1374 weeks ago, check their website. It says the "architectual height" is 1776.

Although they are wrong on the occupied height, so there's a chance even they aren't the most reliable source.
The CTBUH released a statement on that saying it is undecided until they can examine the spire.
Old June 4th, 2012, 11:14 PM   #33644
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
It's fine let these people be oblivious to the truth. You know what they say, Ignorance is bliss, and man are these people ignorant.

Based off of what they are saying, I am going to say that the John Hancock Center is a 459 meter building. Those antennae on the top are huge and should count before this should. I also say the ESB is a 441 meter building now, so is everyone happy now ?
I'm saying the official height will be 1776 feet, in the books, I never said I agree with it, how many times do I have to say this?
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 11:20 PM   #33645
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
I'm saying the official height will be 1776 feet, in the books, I never said I agree with it, how many times do I have to say this?
Okay, and I am saying there is nothing proving it will be 1776 in CTBUH's database
Old June 4th, 2012, 11:23 PM   #33646
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8243

if they havn't changed the design and it is still an antenna CTBUH.org has to change the information when the tower is finished or the whole criteria isn't working, you can't make exceptions.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 11:23 PM   #33647
Tim98
Fanatic

Likes (Received): 16

I'm happy about the 1776 feet. I don't like the antenna. And the spire makes the building to be much more of an Icon, Its my opinion I don't know how you guys are going to think the same as I do.
Tim98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 11:46 PM   #33648
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim98 View Post
I'm happy about the 1776 feet. I don't like the antenna. And the spire makes the building to be much more of an Icon, Its my opinion I don't know how you guys are going to think the same as I do.
You really missed the point. The spire is gone, now their is just an ugly antennae that sits on the roof
Old June 4th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #33649
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Have you seen the "spire" I mean antenna..? It's horrid
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #33650
Tim98
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveclassicrock7

You really missed the point. The spire is gone, now their is just an ugly antennae that sits on the roof
Then why did they change the title back to 1,776? Antennas don't count as building heights
Old June 4th, 2012, 11:55 PM   #33651
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

No one ever even confirmed it's an antenna
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 11:58 PM   #33652
Jongeheer

Likes (Received): 217

Enough with the height already!
Jongeheer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 12:00 AM   #33653
Tim98
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117
No one ever even confirmed it's an antenna
Well it looked that you are very convinced of the fact that there is going to be an antenna. But lets not start argueing.

Wtcprogress on facebook has some new pics btw! I can't show you right now cuz I'm on a phone.
Old June 5th, 2012, 12:15 AM   #33654
Rockmont

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
It's not just about that, it's about the 1776 foot figure that was publicly shoved down our throats for the last decade.

Plus David Childs said he would work with the PA on an alternative design (people really seem to overlook that here), I see no reason why that can't happen. I'm not saying it's a 100% certainty, but at least there is still some hope left for this not to turn out a complete disaster.

At the risk of repeating myself, the only thing I give a damn about, is that it is as tall as the original. I couldn't care less about the spire, or antenna. This thing is about to top out, and the glass skin is kicking ass up to the top also. I can't wait 'til this thing is finished.
Rockmont no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 12:17 AM   #33655
Rockmont

Quote:
Then why did they change the title back to 1,776? Antennas don't count as building heights
Old June 5th, 2012, 12:18 AM   #33656
IngMarco

Likes (Received): 2635

Quote:
Because the old spire was an architectural feature of the building, now that the radome enclosure is gone, it's height is not counted. Someone correct me if wrong.

But to be honest, almost the whole thing is still there so the height shouldn't be a big deal.
IngMarco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 12:18 AM   #33657
Rockmont

Quote:

This building does have a very striking similarity to the John Hancock in Chicago.
Old June 5th, 2012, 12:19 AM   #33658
Tim98
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmont

At the risk of repeating myself, the only thing I give a damn about, is that it is as tall as the original. I couldn't care less about the spire, or antenna. This thing is about to top out, and the glass skin is kicking ass up to the top also. I can't wait 'til this thing is finished.
You are right! Maybe the antenna was just a rumor or something. I shouldn't worry about it to much. If they officialy changed the spire to the antenna it would get alot more attention.
Old June 5th, 2012, 12:19 AM   #33659
Rockmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by IngMarco View Post
But to be honest, almost the whole thing is still there so the height shouldn't be a big deal.
Old June 5th, 2012, 12:21 AM   #33660
Rockmont

Quote:

That antenna on the original wasn't much to write home about either.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center