daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 8th, 2007, 05:27 AM   #3381
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man

Likes (Received): 121

I think progress on the site is moving along at a good pace, however 30 years in highrise construction and an understanding of how complicated foundation systems for any building could be (especially this particular foundation, with it's "special" aspects) could explain why i feel this way.

As most of you know this IS the most important part of any tall structure, any extra time that might be spent on it's installation is time well spent as far as i'm concerned,

So from my point of view, progress is good....!!!

Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2007, 08:15 AM   #3382
Prince Victor
••• Yo ♥ Rep Dom •••

Likes (Received): 14

Good updates, thanks for updating pictures.

██████████████_ ██████████████
Provincias Unidas de Dominicana
██████████████_ ██████████████
Prince Victor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 01:10 PM   #3383
abskess
Mega Davao Area, Phils.

Likes (Received): 7

WOW! this could be an additional icon/landmark within NY...
abskess no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 01:20 PM   #3384
Marco Polo

I am so excited about this tower!!! It's gonna be such a good addition to this part of Manhattan.
And what beautiful symbolism of rebirth.
Marco Polo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 08:49 AM   #3385
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by philvia View Post
In no way should ground zero reconstruction be compared to Chicago spire or any other project.

and the complexity and emotional attachment of rebuilding the world trade centers is many, many, many times that of anything else u/c.

So to expect this building to grow out of the ground like a wildflower is just irrational.

Please be patient and consider EVERYTHING that is involved with this construction and not just the concrete and steel.
Well said, and by this time next year the steel of all four towers will be rising surely a sight to behold as the emotional attachment holds true for me also, you see when the original WTC was being constructed I was in middle school trying to figure out which direction I was going to go with my life, and even though my father and grandfather were both in the construction trades, I was not to sure if I would fallow the same path (I was thinking of becoming an architect) but as i watched from afar the twin towers rise (newspapers, television, and whatever info friends of the family brought back from trips to NYC) I realized that I, like my dad and grandpa, wanted to be up there helping put these giant towers together, and by 1978 I was walking iron above downtown Los Angeles.

Still to this day I cannot put into words how i felt as I watched those towers fall to the ground, it was almost the same as when I lost my grandfather and my father, like losing a member of my own family. and i'm sure many whom were inspired like me felt the same way.
Old December 9th, 2007, 09:22 AM   #3386
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

It's time for the tallest office building in the world to start to grow tall and by 2011, most of the largest office complex in the world will be completed once again. Like TiconLA said, by late 2009, steel for all of the buildings will be rising and it will be one hell of a sight. The wait is over because the foundation and PATH track relocation is completed. Right now is when we see the substructure turn into the support for the most important, amazing, and iconic building. With all of the towers going up in lower Manhattan, between 2008 and 2011, it will be like building eight Empire State Buildings at once. Six, maybe seven or eight (in LOWER Manhattan alone) buildings with roofs over 800' will be going up simultaneously, all in one small area; the lower Manhattan skyline alone will be enough to take on any other. Not one of the renderings or models I have ever seen has shown all of the new skyscrapers lower Manhattan will have in five years. The same thing will be happening for midtown too with their megaprojects.

Last edited by Ebola; December 9th, 2007 at 09:28 AM.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 08:59 PM   #3387
Tag_one

Likes (Received): 6

This week the walls of B2 of the left core will be poured. Like the last time they're installing the polystyrene insulation on the forms again. Soon my little girl will be 8 meter (27 feet) tall
Tag_one no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #3388
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

MODERATION NOTE

There will be no more discussion about the pace of this project. Anyone who comes to this thread and instigates such discussion will have his/her account suspended. Talb and Daquan, if the two of you continue to engage in petty bickering, your accounts will be suspended for 2 weeks. All of you can consider yourselves warned. If this thread doesn't improve quickly, it will be closed. It's time to start acting like civilized human beings.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 10:57 PM   #3389
Henky

Likes (Received): 1

I was wondering the other day:

Is it known if the Ground Zero site will be a big gaping hole for the next five years?

Naturally, a lot of things need to be rebuild, but will there just be streets in between the rising towers in two years? I'm sure a big site like this is convenient, but it's nice how close you can get to other supertall projects in NY.
Henky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 11:08 PM   #3390
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
It's time for the tallest office building in the world to start to grow tall and by 2011, most of the largest office complex in the world will be completed once again. Like TiconLA said, by late 2009, steel for all of the buildings will be rising and it will be one hell of a sight. The wait is over because the foundation and PATH track relocation is completed. Right now is when we see the substructure turn into the support for the most important, amazing, and iconic building. With all of the towers going up in lower Manhattan, between 2008 and 2011, it will be like building eight Empire State Buildings at once. Six, maybe seven or eight (in LOWER Manhattan alone) buildings with roofs over 800' will be going up simultaneously, all in one small area; the lower Manhattan skyline alone will be enough to take on any other. Not one of the renderings or models I have ever seen has shown all of the new skyscrapers lower Manhattan will have in five years. The same thing will be happening for midtown too with their megaprojects.
It is going to be pretty dense down there. Plus 2 big subway and Path stations (WTC station and Fulton on Broadway) will bring a lot of people. Plus the museum an memorial. There is no need for more towers over there -just restaurants and shopping to make the area more alive than before. Do anybody know about the proposed underground mall at WTC?

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 11:26 PM   #3391
Ebola
BANNED

From what I know, the retail area will be under this tower, and under and inside the bases of 2-4WTC.
That means it's most likely being built right now. Maybe there is a below grade map that shows where the retail areas go.
Old December 9th, 2007, 11:44 PM   #3392
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Maybe there is a below grade map that shows where the retail areas go.
there is.....somewhere....
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 12:28 AM   #3393
Ebola
BANNED

Most likely made by the PANYNJ.
Old December 10th, 2007, 12:32 AM   #3394
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
There will be no more discussion about the pace of this project. Anyone who comes to this thread and instigates such discussion will have his/her account suspended. Talb and Daquan, if the two of you continue to engage in petty bickering, your accounts will be suspended for 2 weeks. All of you can consider yourselves warned. If this thread doesn't improve quickly, it will be closed. It's time to start acting like civilized human beings.
Better late than never.

What's the upcoming schedule for the tower(s)?.
Old December 10th, 2007, 12:38 AM   #3395
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

Will the FT have a mass demper or something to work against the swaying?
Old December 10th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #3396
Ebola
BANNED

No, it doesn't need stuff like tuned mass dampers because Manhattan is very stable and the tower itself is very strong.

Here's some more information on the WTC's retail space and I had NO idea they were really considering adding a hotel to the project.

b. Retail
The World Trade Center contained highly diverse retail stores that served visitors and
downtown workers as well as neighborhood residents. The new retail program at the Site will
provide for approximately 500,000 to 600,000 square feet of retail. Retail uses at or above grade
will be maximized while providing spaces for other at-grade uses.

c. Hotel and Conference Center
The Marriott Hotel at the WTC Site was a 22-story hotel with 820 rooms, with meeting
and support space. Most of its customers were business travelers. Lower Manhattan needs to
replace this hotel space to serve existing and expected new businesses and residents, as well as
the visitors to new cultural and Memorial uses.
Downtown lacks a large venue for conferences. Conference facilities and hotel are
desirable on the Site because of its central location and excellent access to the regional
transportation network. The Redevelopment Program could include a hotel with up to 800
rooms and up to 150,000 square feet of conference space. The location and conceptual design of
any hotel is still being studied and will be determined by the City and the Port Authority at a
later date.

It might mean another large building or small tower.
Old December 10th, 2007, 12:52 AM   #3397
cincobarrio
Lurker

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
haha, od; the ultimatum.
cincobarrio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 12:55 AM   #3398
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:
No, it doesn't need stuff like tuned mass dampers because Manhattan is very stable and the tower itself is very strong.

Here's some more information on the WTC's retail space and I had NO idea they were really considering adding a hotel to the project.

b. Retail
The World Trade Center contained highly diverse retail stores that served visitors and
downtown workers as well as neighborhood residents. The new retail program at the Site will
provide for approximately 500,000 to 600,000 square feet of retail. Retail uses at or above grade
will be maximized while providing spaces for other at-grade uses.

c. Hotel and Conference Center
The Marriott Hotel at the WTC Site was a 22-story hotel with 820 rooms, with meeting
and support space. Most of its customers were business travelers. Lower Manhattan needs to
replace this hotel space to serve existing and expected new businesses and residents, as well as
the visitors to new cultural and Memorial uses.
Downtown lacks a large venue for conferences. Conference facilities and hotel are
desirable on the Site because of its central location and excellent access to the regional
transportation network. The Redevelopment Program could include a hotel with up to 800
rooms and up to 150,000 square feet of conference space. The location and conceptual design of
any hotel is still being studied and will be determined by the City and the Port Authority at a
later date.

It might mean another large building or small tower.
Wow - this is pretty big mall. If you ever been to Garden state Plaza which is 1,987,000 ft² and has about 300 stores. This one is almost one third of it - for the NYC this is huge. Plus I am sure more places will open around it. Hopefully it will be a nice place to hang out.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 12:55 AM   #3399
Daquan13
BANNED

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:

I have not argued with TalB for a while now. As a matter of fact, my last reply to him wasn't even an argument.

I've since aploligiized to him in a pm. Jmancuso has also already talked to me in a pm. And I've since told him that I would not argue with TalB any more.

Last edited by Daquan13; December 10th, 2007 at 01:32 AM.
Daquan13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 10:45 AM   #3400
jessemh431

Likes (Received): 86

Quote:
So you mean we can't say something like, "Man this is taking a long time"? I mean I'm not saying that because I think it's going pretty fast, but I'm wondering if you mean something like that or just asking something like "When do you think the next level will start" or "when do you think the base will be completed."
jessemh431 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center