daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 13th, 2012, 03:35 PM   #34081
deadhead262

Likes (Received): 223

This should not of been a building where any compromises were made. I think the 3000 lives lost that day are worth the money. They need to cover up that antenna.
deadhead262 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2012, 03:35 PM   #34082
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

.I just don't agree with the west plaza redesign and from that article they had no really good arguments as to why they redesigned it. Now the stairs are now really tiny. It will be quite crowded and unwelcoming climbing up some skinny stairs (which, ironically, are less safe than open stairs). They mention stainless steel steps... Why not just (cheaper) stone steps? I don't understand.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #34083
deadhead262

Could they not just do something similar to bank of america's spire?
Old June 13th, 2012, 03:48 PM   #34084
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Security overkill is nonsense imo. It would be perfectly enough to make it more secure than an average tower (which it was right from the beginning of the construction) to shift new attacks from wtc to esb, chrysler or sears. I hope you get my point. I mean whats the point of constantly increasing security measures making secure place a madly secure when terrorists simply will chose another less secure iconic object?

Well there is one: public opinion
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #34085
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
It's not new, it's always been there, it was just covered up before.
Oh whoops I knew that too
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 05:17 PM   #34086
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3205

Quote:
Mr. Tarazi said it was the architects’ idea to eliminate the chamfering when it became apparent how difficult it would be aesthetically to resolve the clash between the vertical lines created by the fins and the sloping lines at each edge. “S.O.M. saw it as an opportunity to improve on the design,” Mr. Tarazi said, “and I think they did.”
Count me among those that disagree. This change feels the most damaging to me. The antenna/spire was never holistic to begin with, so while I do think removing the radome makes the building feel less impressive the design for the covering was feable enough that the loss is not significant, IMO. Tha chamfering of the base, however, was to give more nuance to the resulting geometry above and not let the base become a generic element beneath a disjointed tower. I'm sorry they couldn't make the cladding as originally intended, but that seems a very harsh compromise to alter the form so as to apease the angularity of the new facade. Very dissappointed.
Old June 13th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #34087
deadhead262

Could they not do this design for the antenna? Just a simple cross braced skeleton, it could even be in the same shape as the previous spire. It would be cheap, nice to look at and would count as height.

Old June 13th, 2012, 05:41 PM   #34088
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

The mast is already fabricated and is being stored at the ADF Group shop in Canada.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 06:44 PM   #34089
chris123678

Likes (Received): 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
The mast is already fabricated and is being stored at the ADF Group shop in Canada.

So Will The Mast be hoisted in sections like the planned spire?
Or will it be hoisted all at once, like an antenna?
chris123678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 06:53 PM   #34090
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Can't imagine a -64ton max load- Favco 760D trying to lift a +440' ton steel tower at once.

Though if IIRC the project's logistics calls for another crane yet to come that will replace both Favco 760D.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #34091
マイルズ

Likes (Received): 8

Some glass has been installed today! I think we are at the 79th or 80th floor.
マイルズ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #34092
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
They eliminated the skylight? It was already built, you morons! All you had to do was put the fountain on top. We have pictures of the thing being built! For the love of Christ the Durst organization is a bunch of morons.

I'm glad that the guys behind the original plaza design stepped away and told them they didn't want to work with them anymore. They're butchering the design.

Also laughable is the comment that, "not many people will enter from the west entrance." Except a bunch of tourists, because that is the damned tourist entrance. That's why it was supposed to look inviting, but apparently any sense of good design is lost on these people.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 08:40 PM   #34093
burnside

Likes (Received): 2

I assume I'm very much alone in having a poor opinion of the mast, even in its first iteration. It's always seemed disconnected from the overall aesthetic of the tower, that is, not related in line or materials. Many of the city's best show an intensifying visual interest as one approaches the top. While I'm sure the approach here was no accident, I can't work up much enthusiasm for the original nor any great disappointment regarding the recent changes. I never really thought it very good.
burnside no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #34094
net222
Joined on a peculiar day

Likes (Received): 120

What are those white rectangular boxes in the base of 1WTC?
net222 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #34095
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

This says it all:

Durst originally sought what would have been, in essence, a construction management fee of $35 million for what it envisioned as five years of work. The authority was unwilling to pay that amount. Instead, a deal was negotiated under which Durst would receive a $15 million fee and be entitled to a percentage of any “base building changes that result in net economic benefit to the project” — cost savings, in other words — that Durst had initiated and recommended.
Every million they cut is money in the bank.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 09:05 PM   #34096
ThatOneGuy

At what floor will that vent-looking cladding start?
Old June 13th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #34097
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Ugh disgusting @ the budget cuts... Douglas Durst is a horrible bastard
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #34098
ThatOneGuy

You guys are saying this as if you AREN'T getting a 3 billion dollar tower...
Old June 13th, 2012, 10:11 PM   #34099
marsh

Likes (Received): 25

Now, I am glad they built something on the site instead of nothing, however, for 3 billion dollars, this tower has had way too many design modifications and last minute alterations to be worthy of such a price. Durst Organization embodies what is wrong with this country today, by their underhanded greed and tactics to change the building's design by making lame excuses, when it was really only about saving money. This building has been way overpriced, and the final result with the new spire will not be a good tribute to the Twin Towers. Daniel Liebskind's original designs were even more hideous, so thank god David Childs remedied that somewhat. I'm glad we are getting a tower, but it could have been so much better. Not a fan of the concrete-bunker base or the new antenna. They should call this building the chameleon, because every week more changes are made. Something is better than nothing, but it didn't have to be so expensive, and the architects should have created a more inspiring design.
marsh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 10:22 PM   #34100
deadhead262

What if they put it together up there. Simple steel rings every 10 or so metres with vertival beams with 4 split vertecal beams. The same shape as the old spire but without glass and with beams instead.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center