daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 14th, 2007, 09:21 PM   #3421
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62957

Exaggeration is also an art.

The ESB had a huge impact on the skyline when it was build just like the Freedom Tower will have now. Then it was the beginning of the 'age of supertalls' together with the Chrysler Building, now we can only imagine how big their impact was in those days.

But The Freedom Tower does have a bigger emotional impact of course, but that's logical.
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 14th, 2007, 09:35 PM   #3422
zYgote

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by philvia View Post
i dont think ebola was saying the wtc will weigh more than 4x the esb LMAO

i'm pretty sure he was just comparing the magnitude (in terms of sq ft) of the whole wtc to something that everyone is familiar with, the esb...
Yeah, pretty sure he was talking about WTC 1-4...

He's not talking about the freakin weight of the concrete. Everyone takes everything so literally, heh.
zYgote no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 09:49 PM   #3423
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

There was no exaggeration. With the steel it takes to build six or seven Empire State Buildings, you could build the new WTC one time (I think it includes all the below grade steel too.)

Building WTC Towers 1, 2, 3, and 4 is the same as building the Empire State Building four times over in terms of size and impact on the skyline. Obviously the Freedom Tower is much bigger than the ESB and Tower 4 is a little smaller than it. Towers 2 and 3 are around the same size.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 11:23 PM   #3424
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

You have to put it into a historic perspective.

Before 1930 there were only 2 building taller then 200 meter, then in 3 years time 8 200m+ towers were finished. The building boom in the 30s had clearly a huge impact on the skyline back in those days. Currently 4 of the 5 tallest buildings in New York were completed between 1930 and 1932, so they still have a big impact. The only two towers that had the same impact as those towers were the WTC twins.

In terms of construction the ESB and all the big towers in those days was a bigger challenge. The architects and builders were really pioneering back then, going as high as possible at that time. It's more comparable with the Burj Dubai then the Freedom Tower, although that doesn't mean that building anything higher then 300m nowadays isn't a challenge anymore. But it's not as groundbreaking anymore.

The current building boom will have a new big impact on the skyline, they can only do that by building higher then the ESB. The number of towers going up right now makes it also as exiting as back in those days.

Let's summarize, ESB = Freedom Tower, when it comes to impact.
Old December 15th, 2007, 12:37 AM   #3425
Ebola
BANNED

Opinion, but who are you to say that? No one has even seen the future skyline yet.
Old December 15th, 2007, 02:35 AM   #3426
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

I don't think you will be disappointed if the current boom will have the same impact as the ESB, Chrysler Building, American International Building and The tower that is now known as Trump Building had back in those days.

Pictures are always good.

[img]http://i19.************/6ferssn.jpg[/img]

It's always good to look back at the history and see that such buildings had a big impact on the city. It's even better to know that there are enough projects right now in New York that continue this history of making an impact on the skyline. But just because the ESB got less steel then the FT doesn't make it less of a building, especially with such a history.
Old December 15th, 2007, 02:45 AM   #3427
Ebola
BANNED

The current boom about to hit the city will NOT have the same impact as the ESB, Chrysler Building, American International Building, Trump, ect's boom; it will have an impact that's bigger and much different. It could turn NY from that postcard skyline to a skyline that will take decades for people to recognize again, but it's all for the best. I doubt that Freedom Tower will remain the biggest building for more than a decade.
Old December 15th, 2007, 03:18 AM   #3428
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3106

A little trivia but did you know that the ESB weighs less than the burden removed for it's foundations.
redbaron_012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 03:30 AM   #3429
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
The current boom about to hit the city will NOT have the same impact as the ESB, Chrysler Building, American International Building, Trump, ect's boom; it will have an impact that's bigger and much different. It could turn NY from that postcard skyline to a skyline that will take decades for people to recognize again, but it's all for the best. I doubt that Freedom Tower will remain the biggest building for more than a decade.
Given the significance of the number 1776 to American history and also knowing that this is not just some tall tower but THE FREEDOM TOWER at Ground Zero I cannot imagine anything taller in the city for a long time. Though I will always welcome it. Also we must remember that 2000 ft is the maximum you can build in USA as of today.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 01:07 PM   #3430
sunshine_121

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Do you mean that there may be more supertalls shortly after feedom tower??
sunshine_121 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #3431
Ebola
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine_121 View Post
Do you mean that there may be more supertalls shortly after feedom tower??
No, I mean there will be more supertalls shortly after the four supertalls of this project are completed. Not only all of the solo projects, like the two current supertalls, and the Sherwood office supertall building and the supertall residential tower next to it, the MoMA Tower, all of the mega towers planned for the area around MSG and the West Side, like the Hotel Penn and Hotel Drake sites, Javits Hotel expansion, ect, the possible supertall in Brooklyn and the flickering 80 South St., Daniel Libeskind and his new residential skyscraper he's planning will be the tallest in NY, and many others, but also megaprojects like the MSG area and the Hudson Center itself, which will contain over a dozen tall skyscrapers and some supertalls. The WTC is only the tip of the iceberg. By 2020, NY will have three to four times the amount of supertalls it has now.
Old December 15th, 2007, 08:40 PM   #3432
rogerick1970
BANNED

Likes (Received): 62

Whats that green stuff around the core?

rogerick1970 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 09:04 PM   #3433
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6560

protetction for the steel i guess
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #3434
charger1966

Likes (Received): 10

That green stuff are Tarps to cover the forms. They must have poured concrete in those areas and want to protect it from the elements.
Did everyone here about the steel falling from GSB yesterday? Apparently a Nylon strap holding steel beams broke and the beams fell on top of a construction trailer injuring an architect.
Lance
charger1966 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #3435
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5227

Quote:
Of course the Freedom Twer will have a big impact and emotional too, and we all know why..

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 07:25 AM   #3436
deez

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
No, I mean there will be more supertalls shortly after the four supertalls of this project are completed. Not only all of the solo projects, like the two current supertalls, and the Sherwood office supertall building and the supertall residential tower next to it, the MoMA Tower, all of the mega towers planned for the area around MSG and the West Side, like the Hotel Penn and Hotel Drake sites, Javits Hotel expansion, ect, the possible supertall in Brooklyn and the flickering 80 South St., Daniel Libeskind and his new residential skyscraper he's planning will be the tallest in NY, and many others, but also megaprojects like the MSG area and the Hudson Center itself, which will contain over a dozen tall skyscrapers and some supertalls. The WTC is only the tip of the iceberg. By 2020, NY will have three to four times the amount of supertalls it has now.
If we had a dollar for everytime Ebola uses the word 'supertalls', we could all build our own Freedom Tower.
deez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 07:29 AM   #3437
Ebola
BANNED

You'd be about three billion dollars short. I hear a company is going to invest over four billion dollars into their tower for the Hotel Drake(or Penn) site. And we though the Freedom Tower would be the most expensive. I can't wait to see how big that tower will be and exactly why they are investing so much into it.

Last edited by Ebola; December 16th, 2007 at 07:34 AM.
Old December 16th, 2007, 10:44 AM   #3438
Tag_one

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1966 View Post
That green stuff are Tarps to cover the forms. They must have poured concrete in those areas and want to protect it from the elements.
Did everyone here about the steel falling from GSB yesterday? Apparently a Nylon strap holding steel beams broke and the beams fell on top of a construction trailer injuring an architect.
Lance
They haven't poured yet. The sheets are there to prevent snow falling between the forms. It's not very good for the concrete quality when you pour when there's about half a foot of snow in you forms.
Tag_one no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 06:04 PM   #3439
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

They are pouring the core right right now if you are all wondering. The arm is behind the crane.
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 08:13 PM   #3440
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6560

yeah . it seems they're pouring the first wall of the left core half
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center