daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 19th, 2007, 02:31 AM   #3441
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

this thread worthless without pics
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 19th, 2007, 04:47 AM   #3442
RealThang
Registered Fanatic

Likes (Received): 0

Its 9:30 pm New York time and they're still pouring, They've been at it for 13 hours. I also noticed that they've started to build a new structure beside the new temporary path station over the north/south subway line. Days and days of what appears to be no activity and then lots of stuff all at once!
RealThang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 04:48 AM   #3443
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

sorry...i know this had been asked a thousand times, but whats the link for the web cam?
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 04:50 AM   #3444
Daquan13
BANNED

Likes (Received): 31

There should be one at the LMDC's website.
Daquan13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 12:19 PM   #3445
centreoftheuniverse
Not ******

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXFallenXx View Post
sorry...i know this had been asked a thousand times, but whats the link for the web cam?
http://www.earthcam.net/users2/inter...2&clientid=158
centreoftheuniverse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 12:22 PM   #3446
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

Thanks a lot!
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 12:36 AM   #3447
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...cial-concrete/
December 20, 2007, 10:46 am

Freedom, Set in Special Concrete

By David W. Dunlap

The Freedom Tower construction site at 1 World Trade Center in Lower Manhattan. (Photo: David W. Dunlap/The New York Times)

A steel column bears the words “Freedom Tower” and is partially encased in concrete. Enlarge this image. (Photo: David W. Dunlap/The New York Times)

Just about every element at ground zero generates heat. Even the concrete.

With walls up to 5 feet 10 inches thick, the core of the 1 World Trade Center project (also called Freedom Tower) requires tremendous amounts of concrete; so much that the chemical process by which the concrete takes form and hardens — starting from a mixture of cement, aggregate and water — actually creates its own considerable heat.

If temperatures at the center of the concrete pour are above 160 degrees, or if there is a difference in temperature of more than 35 degrees between the inside and outside, it can lead to stress and deterioration.

“That’s a major challenge in a project like this,” said Michael J. Mennella, executive vice president of the Tishman Construction Corporation of New York, which is managing construction of the Freedom Tower for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

So it was news when the commissioners of the Port Authority were told on Tuesday that an extremely high-strength concrete formula had been used successfully for the first time in New York City, as part of the Freedom Tower project. This concrete has a strength under compression calculated at 14,000 pounds per square inch. (The highest strength previously used in a New York skyscraper had a rating of 12,000 pounds per square inch. A house might use concrete with a strength of 2,000 pounds per square inch.)

The formula was devised by a company called iCrete and employed at the Freedom Tower by the Quadrozzi Concrete Company, a subcontractor.

“To get this kind of strength in concrete, you usually have to increase the amount of cement,” said Tony Arnold, president of iCrete. “We reduced the amount of cement.”

That in turn lowered the temperature of the chemical reaction. It incidentally helped reduce carbon dioxide emissions during production of the cement. The iCrete formula also uses byproducts of steel fabrication known as slag and fly ash. About 700 cubic yards were poured Tuesday atop an earlier pour of 630 cubic yards, Mr. Mennella said.

“You’re not going to find too many places in the world with walls this thick,” Mr. Mennella said as he looked over the twin cores of the Freedom Tower, still far below street level but now on the way up. “This is one of them.”

You also will not find any other place in the world with a steel column bearing the words “Freedom Tower.” This column was set in place exactly a year ago as part of Gov. George E. Pataki’s last official visit to the trade center site. It is now partly encased in concrete and says simply, “Freedom.”
Old December 21st, 2007, 12:38 AM   #3448
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12202007...ady_241385.htm
TEAR IT DOWN, ALREADY

December 20, 2007 -- Yet another round of delays at Ground Zero may be leading New Yorkers to wonder: Is the site headed for the same paralysis that held up rebuilding under then-Gov. George Pataki? Is anyone down there in charge?

Yesterday brought word that the World Trade Center memorial, which state officials promised would be open for 9/11's eighth anniversary, now likely won't be done until 2010. And the memorial's museum and visitors' center won't open until 2011 - a full decade after 9/11.

Other work is progressing, but even that may come to a halt if work doesn't soon resume on removing the contaminated Deutsche Bank building, which was irreparably damaged in the terror attack.

As we've said repeatedly, that building should've come down years ago.

Instead, it has stood as a monument to bureaucratic inertia. Even as a pipe fell from one of its upper floors, crashing through a firehouse below. And a blaze killed two firefighters in August. And a pallet-jack toppled down days later, injuring two more firefighters.

The state-controlled Lower Manhattan Development Corp. owns the property; after the August fire halted the building's deconstruction, LMDC head Avi Schick said work would re-start in November.

Never happened.

Now LMDC officials can't even say when demolition might begin. Nor even when they'll hire a new subcontractor for the job.

How pathetic.

We've seen this before, of course: Gov. Pataki vowed back in 2004 to have the Deutsche Bank building down by the following year. But the whole Ground Zero rebuilding was plagued by incompetence and a lack of leadership back then - nothing moved forward.

Now, with other parts of the project finally under way, a protracted delay at the Deutsche Bank building could be fatal, given that other work on Ground Zero buildings is closely linked to demolition of that tower.

Who's to blame for the new mess?

That's not entirely clear, given all the finger-pointing. But the LMDC, which - again - owns the Deutsche Bank tower, is mostly run by the state. Which means Gov. Spitzer needs to get on the ball.

Mayor Bloomberg also has a role to play, given that the fate of the building will greatly affect the city of which he is in charge.

Much is at stake in that building's removal. Officials should act like they understand that - and get that building down pronto.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 12:56 AM   #3449
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Dec 2007:

Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 01:08 AM   #3450
HT

Likes (Received): 32

Yiiiihaaa, best update ever in this thread !!! Great to see so much progress, thy for posting Ebola.
HT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 01:27 AM   #3451
Daquan13
BANNED

Likes (Received): 31

Half the core is rising significantly higher and more columns have been added!
They look like tubular columns similar to the ones used to build the Twins.
Daquan13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 02:06 AM   #3452
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

It looks like almost all of the columns around the sides of the tower are erected, but we just can't see a lot of them because they're only around 9 feet tall, while the taller ones we can see are much taller.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 04:18 AM   #3453
PwnedByASkyscraper
iPura Vida!

Likes (Received): 4

I'm glad to see some real progress going on because I was about to go gray.

Paises Favoritas Que Yo Visite: United States, Costa Rica, Nederland, Espana, Deutschland

*All images I contribute to the site are from Flickr unless stated otherwise.
PwnedByASkyscraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 08:51 AM   #3454
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man

Likes (Received): 121

Thanks, Ebola for the great updates, looks as if the iron over the track(s) area still has yet to be installed, however overall progress is looking great, i'm guessing two months before we see all concrete up to lobby level, (except the core, that should be a few levels higher).
Old December 22nd, 2007, 01:59 PM   #3455
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6534

great shots

btw...what is with the right core side? when will they start with it?
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 04:20 PM   #3456
RealThang
Registered Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TICONLA1 View Post
I'm guessing two months before we see all concrete up to lobby level, (except the core, that should be a few levels higher).
Try 4 to 6 months before they reach lobby level... the schedule says Q2 2008. That would be sometime between April and June. After that they still have to go another 200 feet before the 'normal' floors start. I would think that a year from now the concrete will still be rising just like it is now.

It appears that they have been doing prep work on the northern core. Maybe now we'll see the first north core pour. Are we going to see a slip-form rising with each core as it clears ground level?
RealThang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 05:37 PM   #3457
jimmyfa
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

The new towers're nice and modern, I like them very much.
jimmyfa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 09:22 PM   #3458
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealThang View Post
Try 4 to 6 months before they reach lobby level... the schedule says Q2 2008.
3 to 5 months.

My estimate is very early April and possibly late March.
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 10:08 PM   #3459
dougall5505

can someone post a new screen shot from the webcam? it doesn't work for me
dougall5505 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 10:37 PM   #3460
Nongkhai_tong
Tong

Likes (Received): 38

yes,please I want to see it too.
Nongkhai_tong no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center