daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 30th, 2007, 06:57 PM   #3521
Lusitania
Luxury and Speed

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR View Post
Sure.. but isn't all that water going to make a huge noise?? I was hoping the memorial would be a quiet kinda place.
That would be the ideal memorial, but quiet and southern Manhattan do not mix.

Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #3522
sam-whit-kid
'what are digits?'

Likes (Received): 1

quite a few of you are really cruel... in the words of lusitania "truly a shame..."
sam-whit-kid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 10:32 PM   #3523
mcdonnell77

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Giggles View Post

Wow, that's a pretty sweet tower.. Was it ever officially proposed?
I love it!!! Build it at once!!
Old December 30th, 2007, 10:51 PM   #3524
lpioe

Likes (Received): 18

The waterfall of the memorial is amazing.
I'm not a big fan of the new tower itself though.
It's surely not a bad design, but I was hoping for something more special on this special place.
lpioe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 12:09 AM   #3525
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Tumbling Dice, shut the **** up!

Everyone else, just ignore.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 01:19 AM   #3526
pennster

Likes (Received): 7

Finally a block lol.
pennster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2008, 12:47 AM   #3527
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/..._millions.html
World Trade Center owner to pay millions in fines for missed deadlines

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Monday, December 31st 2007, 5:14 PM

Appleton/News

Heavy equipment operates in the pit at Ground Zero during construction of Freedom Tower, as seen from the 32nd floor of the Millenium Hilton hotel.

F. Roberts for News

World Trade Center developer Larry Silverstein

The owner of the World Trade Center site said Monday it is at least a month behind on a deadline to turn over part of the site to a private developer and will pay at least $9 million in fines.

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey had a Tuesday deadline to excavate foundations for two of five planned office towers at the site and turn the land over to private developer Larry Silverstein, or pay Silverstein $300,000 for every day it was late.

The deadline - and penalties - were worked out last year in a contentious renegotiation of Silverstein's lease that officials said would help speed up long-stalled development at the 16-acre site.

The agency's executive director, Anthony Shorris, said Monday that contractors worked 20-hour-a-day schedules for months and removed 300,000 tons of material so far, but could not finish by the deadline.

"They were ambitious goals. We did our best to meet them," Shorris said. "This is an enormous project. ... I wished we'd be right on schedule."

The agency said it would finish the foundation for one of the planned office towers in two weeks, and the foundation for the next tower two to four weeks later, meaning it will pay Silverstein $9 million to $13.5 million in fines.

Shorris said the job's contractor will not receive a $10 million bonus it was to get if it finished the project on time.

Silverstein spokesman Dara McQuillan said Monday that Silverstein is confident the site will be turned over to him "in the very near future" and said they are prepared to begin building the two towers as soon as the land is made available.

Construction deadlines at the World Trade Center site have changed several times, most notably with the iconic, 1,776-foot Freedom Tower. Once scheduled to open in 2009, its opening was pushed back three years after the tower was redesigned to address security concerns. The Port Authority recently adjusted its timetable for finishing the Sept. 11 memorial it is also building on the site, saying the entire complex, with an underground museum, wouldn't be finished until the 10th anniversary of the 2001 terrorist attacks.
Old January 1st, 2008, 01:07 AM   #3528
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

o lord this sucks
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2008, 02:06 AM   #3529
sunshine_121

Likes (Received): 3

That guy really reminds me of Chancellor, Palpatine (Darth Sidious)!!!
The darkside is all around him....
sunshine_121 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2008, 02:13 AM   #3530
sunshine_121

Likes (Received): 3

I rest my case
sunshine_121 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2008, 04:09 AM   #3531
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine_121 View Post

That guy really reminds me of Chancellor, Palpatine (Darth Sidious)!!!
The darkside is all around him....
I know you guys hate TalB, but this is big news that needed to be posted. We've all been dying to know if they made the deadline, and now we know. Should the news not have been posted just because it's bad news?
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2008, 04:31 AM   #3532
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3095

I think that tower looks more attractive than Freedom Tower.....even has two bands (Sky lobbies) around tower similar to original WTC....
redbaron_012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2008, 05:29 AM   #3533
mudvayneimn
Evry City Nds a Blk Box!

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie Maea View Post
I know you guys hate TalB, but this is big news that needed to be posted. We've all been dying to know if they made the deadline, and now we know. Should the news not have been posted just because it's bad news?
I think he was talking about Larry Silverstein, just because of the picture posted right after it.
Old January 1st, 2008, 08:20 AM   #3534
Hollie Maea

My mistake...
Old January 1st, 2008, 09:50 PM   #3535
mbuildings
BANNED

Likes (Received): 69

stunning!
mbuildings no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 10:49 AM   #3536
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Within three months, steel will be above the street, not at or close to grade, but above grade. Progress and activity will mulitply each month from now on.

The tower's concrete has a strength under compression calculated at 14,000 pounds per square inch. The highest strength previously used in a New York skyscraper had a rating of 12,000 pounds per square inch. A house will use concrete with a strength of 2,000 pounds per square inch.

Last edited by Ebola; January 2nd, 2008 at 11:01 AM.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 05:29 PM   #3537
sam-whit-kid
'what are digits?'

Likes (Received): 1

i dont see why people used to complain they saw no progress. if u visited the site everyday im sure you would start to notice things changing. the builders arnt paid to do nothing after all. nobody needs to worry frm now on b'cos its on the up as from now and the rest of the towers will follow suit son aswell. it will lok fantastic.

oh and if ive offended someone in this post which i hopefully havent please dont shout me down!
sam-whit-kid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2008, 01:26 AM   #3538
JR
Never Forget

Likes (Received): 0

I have a few things I've been wondering about the Freedom Tower.

What is the difference between the broadcasting antenna of the original 1WTC and the broadcasting antenna of the FT? Why was the antenna of 1WTC not counted in the official height?

Why is the floor count stated as 108 in this thread? As I understand, they only designated the first usable floor as floor 20 and "added" some mechanical floors on the top. Can developers just name certain floor to be something they're not and that would change the official count? Does the podium of FT even contain any floors? And is it not the convention to leave mechanical floors out of the official floor count? For example, why is the official floor count of Sears Tower 108, instead of 110?
JR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2008, 01:29 AM   #3539
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

sears tower, has only 108 floors. but if u count the penthouse then it's 110
Old January 3rd, 2008, 02:04 AM   #3540
Hollie Maea

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR View Post
What is the difference between the broadcasting antenna of the original 1WTC and the broadcasting antenna of the FT? Why was the antenna of 1WTC not counted in the official height?
The antenna on the old tower was a temporary piece attached to the tower. It was not permanent, and if contracts with the broadcasters were rescinded, it would be removed. Since it was not permanent, it did not count in the height.

The new antenna will be integrated in a permanent spire that will be part of the actual structure. It can not be removed, so it will be counted in the height.

Hope this clears it up for you.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center