daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:39 PM   #35441
Polity

Likes (Received): 5

Its like the SWFC with the top missing....
Polity no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2012, 05:17 PM   #35442
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
Are the topping out beams just for show?
Tower 4's topping out beam is no where to be seen on the tower.
If the last column for this tower will mark the topping out, what's the purpose of Obama's beam?
1. No. They are used for the actual structure.
2. It's there somewhere. You just can't see it.
3. The last beam is mostly ceremonial, but it will be installed somewhere up top.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 06:03 PM   #35443
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

Kind of cool to think in a little over a year from now we will be talking about the grand opening!
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 06:14 PM   #35444
chris123678

Likes (Received): 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
correct me if i'm wrong but i thought they never raised the beam signed by Obama.
Not yet.
chris123678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 09:51 PM   #35445
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgates View Post
Ive seen it from powdermil many times. I go there some years to watch the july 4 fireworks. This year, I looked for wtc, but it wasnt there.

There are four ridges. one is the Tourne/Powdermill one with tall mountains that you can see NY from.
The next is millburn/west caldwell. When you get to the top, more ridges block your view.
Then there are two more closely spaced and the rest is flat land.
Yes I only recently discovered that the skyline can be seen from here after seeing the Empire State Building one clear day. It is extremely visible from powdermill, the wtc that is, are you referring to the place with the apartment buildings?
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 09:56 PM   #35446
billgates

Likes (Received): 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
Yes I only recently discovered that the skyline can be seen from here after seeing the Empire State Building one clear day. It is extremely visible from powdermill, the wtc that is, are you referring to the place with the apartment buildings?
Yes, the apartments near route 10. I know someone who lives there.
billgates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:08 PM   #35447
Jim Vaz

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Ive seen it from powdermil many times. I go there some years to watch the july 4 fireworks. This year, I looked for wtc, but it wasnt there.

There are four ridges. one is the Tourne/Powdermill one with tall mountains that you can see NY from.
The next is millburn/west caldwell. When you get to the top, more ridges block your view.
Then there are two more closely spaced and the rest is flat land.
There are actually only 2 main ridges, these are the 1st Watchung Mountain range which is the one that encompasses Caldwell/Montclair/West Paterson/etc. that extends north.
The other Range is the 2nd Watchung Range which is the westerly one which encompasses Randolph, Morris Township, Parsippanny, Boonton/Wayne/etc and also extends north up to Ramapo. Both were formed during the last ice age by the retreating ice sheet.

From the condos at Powder Mill, you get a specatular view. I've actually been able to see the tower rise above the first Watchung range since late last summer. It was low but you could clearly see it. Now it dominates the sky once again like the original twin towers did.
When I was a kid I lived in Rockaway Boro, NJ, and from a highest point in that town we always had a clear view of the towers. I even dated an ex girlfriend in the Landing section of Roxbury some years ago and I also noticed the towers, but were only visible in winter when the leaves were off the trees.
Jim Vaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:15 PM   #35448
Jim Vaz

This picture I believe is actually next to Sussex Turnpike on the border of Randolph and Morris Twp. near the Morris Youth Center and firemans training center, about a mile or so west of Greystone Park pyschiactric hospital.
Quote:
image hosted on flickr
Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:20 PM   #35449
deadhead262

Likes (Received): 223

Is it topped out yet?
deadhead262 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:27 PM   #35450
Jim Vaz

And hello everyone btw, I'm new and just signed up for this sight. Love the WTCh discussion as well as many others on here.

I know this may not be poplular on here, but I have to give my honest opinion on the building. As much as I'm happy to finally see it finally go up to have lower manhattan restored and healed once again, I've never been a big fan of this final design. Its better than anything that they previously put forth, but I just never liked the angles of it. Granted they couldn't just put in another boring box shaped building, it had to be unique and it had to stand out as the twin towers did and I get that, but this has always look to me more like just another obelisk or phallic structure than anything else.
When I think about it much though, what could they have done that would have been all that much better? Who knows, and we'll never know. Either way enjoying the progress they've made and look forward to its opening next year.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:37 PM   #35451
Mercenary

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead262 View Post
Is it topped out yet?
Technically Yes.

Officially No.
Mercenary no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:42 PM   #35452
the man from k-town
Frankfurt-Lover <3

Likes (Received): 6877

image hosted on flickr

WTC - West Village von Joel Raskin auf Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Lower Manhattan skyline from atop the Castle Williams von RealMattKane auf Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Statue of Liberty sculpture on Governors Island von RealMattKane auf Flickr
Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:53 PM   #35453
billgates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Vaz View Post
There are actually only 2 main ridges, these are the 1st Watchung Mountain range which is the one that encompasses Caldwell/Montclair/West Paterson/etc. that extends north.
The other Range is the 2nd Watchung Range which is the westerly one which encompasses Randolph, Morris Township, Parsippanny, Boonton/Wayne/etc and also extends north up to Ramapo. Both were formed during the last ice age by the retreating ice sheet.

From the condos at Powder Mill, you get a specatular view. I've actually been able to see the tower rise above the first Watchung range since late last summer. It was low but you could clearly see it. Now it dominates the sky once again like the original twin towers did.
When I was a kid I lived in Rockaway Boro, NJ, and from a highest point in that town we always had a clear view of the towers. I even dated an ex girlfriend in the Landing section of Roxbury some years ago and I also noticed the towers, but were only visible in winter when the leaves were off the trees.
The first watchung mountain range is made up of three small ridges, though. At least in the area around 280 it is.
Old July 24th, 2012, 12:05 AM   #35454
Jim Vaz

Quote:
The first watchung mountain range is made up of three small ridges, though. At least in the area around 280 it is.

Yes, you're definitely right. I just wanted to point out to the others on here who may not be familiar with the area that there are basically the two main mountain ranges, but yes you have other small ridges that make up the range.
Old July 24th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #35455
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

From wtcprogress.

spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 12:42 AM   #35456
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:

Yes there are two ridges going East towards NYC, but running parallel to the city are 4 ridges: Powdermill, Tourne, Pyramid, and Boonton. Yea when the tower was about 990 feet last August, that is when I first found it from that vantage point in the picture I took. Wasn't exactly sure if it was Goldman Sachs in Jersey City though. It would have been spectacular to see the Twin Towers from that vantage point, but I was too young to even know how to work a camera.

Quote:
Yes, the apartments near route 10. I know someone who lives there.
Yea same, that's how I found out about it.

image hosted on flickr

From Powder Mill
Quote:
This picture I believe is actually next to Sussex Turnpike on the border of Randolph and Morris Twp. near the Morris Youth Center and firemans training center, about a mile or so west of Greystone Park pyschiactric hospital.
Yep you are correct. There is a small building at the top across from the original HQ of the Interfaith Food Pantry, where there is a sweeping view of the 9/11 memorial with the skyline behind it. Incredible place, although very few people notice the skyline from there. I found it by accident, and like you said, it is very close to Greystone, and if you go in the parking lot of the hospital, it is also very visible to see just the top of it on a clear day.

image hosted on flickr

From Greystone

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by NewYorkSkyline117; July 24th, 2012 at 12:47 AM.
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 01:36 AM   #35457
WeatherRad

Likes (Received): 37

Okay, I can't take it anymore. I'll be back in September with the hopes of there being a couple more columns installed by then!! Ugggh lol
WeatherRad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 01:58 AM   #35458
billgates

When I first noticed 1wtc at tourne, only a square portion was visible over the ridge. It was much wider than other NY buildings such as esb, so I thought, at first, that it was a local building, but I realized that it was 1wtc after it grew in the following months.

In the photos, you could see the colors of the building, but when I view it from 30 miles away, it is solid blue and the glass, concrete, and black coverings were indistinguishable. Maybe I just happened to see it on low visibility days?
Old July 24th, 2012, 02:00 AM   #35459
Coddington
... Coddi ...

Likes (Received): 262

Looks great 17 State Street's cladding!
Coddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 02:09 AM   #35460
Mplsuptown

Likes (Received): 713

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
From wtcprogress.

The reflection of 1 onto 7 is pretty cool. Too bad that 7 didn't think of it when they built it.

*And Major D., just leave the angry man's post up. - spectre000
Mplsuptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center