daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 26th, 2012, 05:58 PM   #35581
GeoDude
GeoDude

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty new yorker View Post
what part of the city? I'm from SI and can get excellent views within 3 blocks from my house. Though its hard to see individual beams rise without an expensive pair of binoculars.
ill be in the east village. i dont have a view directly from my apt but i shouldnt have to walk far to see it!

@Chaserino
Architecture & Travel

USA - Canada - Mexico - Costa Rica - Brazil - Peru - Australia - New Zealand - China - England - France - Netherlands - Spain - Italy - Germany - Monaco - Vatican City - Czech Republic - Hungary - Turkey - Denmark - Sweden - Morocco - Portugal - Switzerland - Greece - Austria - Liechtenstein - Cyprus - Croatia - Belgium - Slovakia - United Arab Emirates - Poland - Ukraine - Romania - Ireland - Malta - Vietnam - Myanmar - Japan - India - Slovenia - South Africa - Zimbabwe - Zambia - Botswana - Israel
GeoDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #35582
yankee fan for life

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
I think you should watch the documentary.The complexity of the project is not a lame excuse or an excuse at all.
It's a domino effect, if one thing does wrong, so do the others.
Pretty sure their just waiting it out until the supposed topping out date.
Old July 26th, 2012, 06:08 PM   #35583
kiyardo

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
I think you should watch the documentary.The complexity of the project is not a lame excuse or an excuse at all.
It's a domino effect, if one thing does wrong, so do the others.
Right, I understand the complexity of any most large scale construction projects with regard to domino effect. This one was unique in the beginning (subgrade) with the PATH still in service. I understood that aspect. But, now and throughout construction above ground, the only other "complex" aspect was redundant and over engineered aspects. Given a little more time for that, the delays still seem extensive.

Does anyone know specifically what the delay is for the last floor/parapit. Three beams are all that have been placed with steel delivered at the base. Also, cladding has been super slow. Are they waiting for materials?
kiyardo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 06:15 PM   #35584
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyardo View Post
New steel on site. But, nothing's been hoisted for days. Bottleneck! What is taking so long? This delay is certainly not because of the complexity of the project (which by the way is a lame excuse) Must be due to a delay of shipment of some other construction materials, or scheduling error.
This statement is absurd.

You do not know (none of us do) anything about what is the required erection plan at the roof of this building.

Odds are there is a lot of complex, small steel that has to be detailed prior to continuing erection. Maybe there is a ton of welding? Neither of us have the structural details.

Floor space is at a premium at the top due to the tapering of the building, things will naturally go slower.

I assure you that they are not dogging it.
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #35585
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyardo View Post
New steel on site. But, nothing's been hoisted for days. Bottleneck! What is taking so long? This delay is certainly not because of the complexity of the project (which by the way is a lame excuse) Must be due to a delay of shipment of some other construction materials, or scheduling error.
They lifted new steel yesterday. The delay could be weather, so far the weather today is very nice, but last night NYers were told to brace for severe winds and thunderstorms which haven't hit us so far, but could be coming later in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoDude View Post
moving to NYC on Tuesday!!! Can't wait to watch this baby through its last phases.
Congrats on your move! Welcome to New York!
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #35586
Chibears85
MEOW!

Likes (Received): 669

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyarch21 View Post
Doesn't anyone know why the parapet is taking so long? What is the differences how tall is it to the actual roof? When will the cladding be finished? How will the spire be constructed? Will it go as a single piece? And any word I. If its going to be a spire or an attena?
I will do my best to answer these..
Quote:
What is the differences how tall is it to the actual roof?
: To the actual roof height, it measures 1368 feet.

Quote:
When will the cladding be finished?
The Glass Cladding I would guees would be finished by early 2013. If not, by 2013. Although this is just a simple guess.

Quote:
How will the spire be constructed?
According to a video I saw about 1WTC, It will be installed by 2 'columns' at a time. But i think that was for the spire... So I cant confrim if they will do the same for the antenna.

Quote:
Is it going to be spire or a attena?
At the moment, it seems like it is an antenna.

Anyone else, please correct me if you have better info, or if you are correcting me. Thanks!
Old July 26th, 2012, 07:28 PM   #35587
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Actual roof slab is at 1334'-8" (1340'-4" from lowest entrance); the rooftop parpaet is at 1368'-0" (1373'-8" from lowest entrance).

The podium cladding work is underway with the installation of clip angles at the north side.

The mast will be shipped in sections by boat and erected by a new crane.

The spire is being formed by a mast(or antenna) and an enclosure, the enclosure has been scrapped, leaving the mast exposed.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 07:35 PM   #35588
Dirty new yorker

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoDude

ill be in the east village. i dont have a view directly from my apt but i shouldnt have to walk far to see it!
Welcome to New York!
Being in Manhattan im sure you wont have to go far to see 1WTC as it towers above the rest of LM. Enjoy the view.
Old July 26th, 2012, 07:35 PM   #35589
Chibears85
MEOW!

Likes (Received): 669

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
Actual roof slab is at 1334'-8" (1340'-4" from lowest entrance); the rooftop parpaet is at 1368'-0" (1373'-8" from lowest entrance).

The podium cladding work is underway with the installation of clip angles at the north side.

The spire is being formed by a mast(or antenna) and an enclosure, the enclosure has been scrapped, leaving the mast exposed.
Cant argue with otie!
Old July 26th, 2012, 07:56 PM   #35590
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16990

My World Trade Center Pictures from last week..

From Jersey City

image hosted on flickr

DSCN6488 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN6491 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

From Yesterday

From Jersey City

image hosted on flickr

DSCN6567 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN6575 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Seen from 21 Miles North in Dobbs Ferry - New York

image hosted on flickr

World Trade Center and Manhattan seen from Dobbs Ferry - New York by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

World Trade Center and Manhattan seen from Dobbs Ferry - New York by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 08:01 PM   #35591
PABLOEING

Likes (Received): 28

¿Another jump to the roof?
PABLOEING no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 08:27 PM   #35592
Maastricht

Likes (Received): 10

Great pica's thanks
Maastricht no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #35593
chris123678

Likes (Received): 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post

Clip Angels? What are they? The brackets that hold the base glass in place?
chris123678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 09:45 PM   #35594
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Yes.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 10:12 PM   #35595
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyarch21 View Post
Doesn't anyone know why the parapet is taking so long? What is the differences how tall is it to the actual roof? When will the cladding be finished? How will the spire be constructed? Will it go as a single piece? And any word I. If its going to be a spire or an attena?
Please just go back and look at the posts, no one is psychic here and most people who make "predictions" are always wrong so no one knows when the glass will be finished, the roof is 408 feet from the official tip of the spire (no one correct me and say it's 1,797 because a lightning rod makes little difference) no one knows if it will be an antenna or spire, it will be in 12 segments, hoisted by helicopter, and no ones knows why the parapet has been taking so long but there have been a number of severe thunderstorms this past month.
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 11:03 PM   #35596
nyarch21

Likes (Received): 801

An estimated time was all I was looking for, and I am well aware that it would be an estimate. As for the attena it has been made quite clear that there would be no spire.
nyarch21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 11:58 PM   #35597
nipz

Likes (Received): 106

spire was better
Old July 27th, 2012, 12:16 AM   #35598
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

I'll just wait and see if they make the best of the antenna.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 12:42 AM   #35599
Informative

Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jongeheer View Post
So.. You're kinda beating the purpose here mate. It's been waaaay worse. Enjoy the pics, she's almost topped out, keep your mouths shut

Not only more expensive but also more beautiful. But let's not start a debate
Unfortunately you are incorrect, the cladding on the new WTC is FAR, FAR more expensive than the London Shard .... sorry to disappoint you.
Informative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 12:48 AM   #35600
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

i'm heading to NYC 8-4 thru 8-6 any hope that this sucker will be T/O or some base cladding?

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center