daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 27th, 2012, 12:55 AM   #35601
Chibears85
MEOW!

Likes (Received): 669

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreach View Post
i'm heading to NYC 8-4 thru 8-6 any hope that this sucker will be T/O or some base cladding?
No base cladding till october, When I go to NYC

Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2012, 03:58 AM   #35602
alan88

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
Please just go back and look at the posts, no one is psychic here and most people who make "predictions" are always wrong so no one knows when the glass will be finished, the roof is 408 feet from the official tip of the spire (no one correct me and say it's 1,797 because a lightning rod makes little difference) no one knows if it will be an antenna or spire, it will be in 12 segments, hoisted by helicopter, and no ones knows why the parapet has been taking so long but there have been a number of severe thunderstorms this past month.
It is 18 pieces, and 16 will be floated down by barge from Canada where it is being built, 2 by truck. They will be lifted into place by the Favco 760 after it is relocated up on roof. It can not go up till roof is poured, so figure late fall. If you want to see the spire or mast, since there are no antenna, the broadcasting element at this time, the photos of it being fabricated are www.adfgroup.com, and look at projects tab

Today we had wind and rain and could not use the cranes all day, the winds at 1400 ft are quite different than ground level.
alan88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 05:33 AM   #35603
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
Please just go back and look at the posts, no one is psychic here and most people who make "predictions" are always wrong so no one knows when the glass will be finished
No need to generalize, there are indeed a few people around here who are involved in the project, most of them aren't active users and just make sure confidential information is kept away from the forums.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 05:38 AM   #35604
chris123678

Likes (Received): 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan88 View Post
It is 18 pieces, and 16 will be floated down by barge from Canada where it is being built, 2 by truck. They will be lifted into place by the Favco 760 after it is relocated up on roof. It can not go up till roof is poured, so figure late fall. If you want to see the spire or mast, since there are no antenna, the broadcasting element at this time, the photos of it being fabricated are www.adfgroup.com, and look at projects tab

Today we had wind and rain and could not use the cranes all day, the winds at 1400 ft are quite different than ground level.
So if weather improves tommomorow or Saturday, more steel perhaps?

Last edited by chris123678; July 27th, 2012 at 05:58 AM.
chris123678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 05:40 AM   #35605
Mercenary

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:

Wow, if that is the case, this building won't get officially topped out until Sept 2012.

I guess they want to do it ceremoniously on September 11, 2012.

This has to be the slowest construction for a building ever.

Its been under construction since April 2006 and it won't finish until 2014.
Mercenary no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 05:59 AM   #35606
chris123678

Likes (Received): 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
Wow, if that is the case, this building won't get officially topped out until Sept 2012.

I guess they want to do it ceremoniously on September 11, 2012.

This has to be the slowest construction for a building ever.

Its been under construction since April 2006 and it won't finish until 2014.

What? It will top out next month. If you considered top out when the antenna is raised, then maybe but if will be finished
chris123678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 06:10 AM   #35607
Mercenary

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
What? It will top out next month. If you considered top out when the antenna is raised, then maybe but if will be finished
No I mean the official top out ceremony when all the nodes are raised and the entire parapet is completed.
Mercenary no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 07:18 AM   #35608
Cloudpiercer

Likes (Received): 66

where can i watch 1wtc's documentary? link maybe?
Cloudpiercer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 07:27 AM   #35609
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Epic moment

Leslie E. Robertson with David Childs / Skyscraper Museum
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 08:07 AM   #35610
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informative View Post
Unfortunately you are incorrect, the cladding on the new WTC is FAR, FAR more expensive than the London Shard .... sorry to disappoint you.
I have no reason to believe either way, so could one of you post a link to prove your statement ?
iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 08:08 AM   #35611
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Gotta Love this Great city! 1 WTC is looking amazing.
iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 09:20 AM   #35612
nyarch21

Likes (Received): 801

This building and the whole word trade center project is stunning, but it still feels like you lost something when you look into the skyline and see only 1 tower. And if 2 World trade is not build then it would really be a loss. does anyone know why they are building 4wtc and 3wtc before 2wtc(best in my opinion)? Also also why are the last 3 towers in a complete line? is it suppose resemble the single south tower when viewing from midtown? and is there any other reason why the put them in that position?
nyarch21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 09:29 AM   #35613
CNTower246810
Call me TKD

Likes (Received): 678

Well they aren't building 3/4WTC before 2WTC, it's just a simple fact that 4 WTC found tenants bofore both 2/3 WTC. But everyone is kind of boggled if 3WTC will really continue on past the podium. They still need to find tenants either way. And 2WTC didnn't find any tenants. (Now I don't know if this is completely correct so somebody qoute me on this Otie? )

To answer the second question, towers 2,3, and 4 WTC were built in an angled line to reconnect Greenwich street (the street ran through the area before the original WTC was constructed) so it was decided to make way to reconnect the street. I don't think there is any other reason that they are constructing them how they are. They aren't supposed to resemble anything of the original complex.
CNTower246810 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 09:47 AM   #35614
nyarch21

I hope 2wtc will find some tenants, it would be a shame if that wasn't built. but it would be worse for it to be built and have no tenants. Is it possible companies are waiting for a price drop? I think there will be a higher demand once 2 and 4wtc are complete. If i was a company i would rather move in after things are somewhat normal in the world trade center site. Does anyone know how the tenants are for 1wtc?
Old July 27th, 2012, 10:37 AM   #35615
599GTB

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jongeheer View Post
Not only more expensive
No, it's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jongeheer View Post
so more beautiful. But let's not start a debate
Hah, what a joke.
599GTB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #35616
Valkyre

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:

Thanks for the info Alan but I am a bit confused if you can clarify on something.

I visited the website and the projects tab and read the description of the mast/antenna/whatever it is actually going to be.

First of all they have a picture that shows some kind of antenna enclosure, which will actually make it a spire. Is there something new about this? have you heard anything about enclosing the antenna?

This Tower is beautiful and the antenna/spire thing has many people wishing it gets the crown it deserves! Please let us know if you have any information.

Again thanks!
Valkyre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 02:40 PM   #35617
the man from k-town
Frankfurt-Lover <3

Likes (Received): 6853

today
image hosted on flickr

New-York von xnir auf Flickr

july25
image hosted on flickr

Brooklyn Bridge Park von MadMartigen auf Flickr

the twins are back
image hosted on flickr

Brooklyn Bridge Park von MadMartigen auf Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Freedom Tower rises von pedroboe auf Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Empire Sunset (P1320697_698_699_700_701_702_703_tonemapped) von michael.2999.pics auf Flickr

Last edited by the man from k-town; July 27th, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
the man from k-town no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 03:27 PM   #35618
nyarch21

Can somebody PLEASE help me out with the height of the anttenas podium??
Old July 27th, 2012, 05:05 PM   #35619
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

There ya go ilcr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
Lets just take a look to the facts:

Scheldebouw (a subsidiary of the Permasteelisa Group) won the £60 million contract to fabricate nearly 11,200 panels for the Shard's facade
while Benson Industries won the $160.65 million contract to fabricate 11,311 panels for WTC Tower One's facade, I think it's pretty obvious which one is more expensive.

Both curtain walls are innovative and share similarities, like using low-iron glass or allowing more daylight to come in than any other typical facade.
And about one being superior than another, well that's just a matter of taste...
Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveclassicrock7 View Post
I have no reason to believe either way, so could one of you post a link to prove your statement ?
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #35620
dirtydog

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
Lets just take a look to the facts:

Scheldebouw (a subsidiary of the Permasteelisa Group) won the £60 million contract to fabricate nearly 11,200 panels for the Shard's facade
while Benson Industries won the $160.65 million contract to fabricate 11,311 panels for WTC Tower One's facade, I think it's pretty obvious which one is more expensive.
Not really. A similar amount of panels, but 1WTC is MUCH bigger than the Shard, not only taller but wider as well. So the glass area is a hell of a lot bigger.

But really who cares eh... as others have said, this thread ain't about the Shard. It's not a pissing contest.
dirtydog no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center