daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 4th, 2008, 08:22 PM   #3561
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElVoltageDR View Post
I'm wonder what the hell they're doing with the spire/antenna. I thought that since all TV broadcasts were becoming digital soon that they wouldn't be putting an antenna on the FT. But they're still trying to get deals with broadcasters, so it's like WTF...
Transmissions will soon be all-digital, but the signals still have to be sent from somewhere (i.e. an antenna). Not everyone has cable or satellite TV, and (I think) it's public policy that at least a few stations be broadcast over-air so anyone with a home antenna can watch.
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2008, 10:33 PM   #3562
mudvayneimn
Evry City Nds a Blk Box!

Likes (Received): 17

By 2011-2012 all broadcasts will be digi. The people that don't have cable or satellite tv services will have to buy a converter box.

I guess I'm the only one who likes the design of the spire. It really isn't that bad, and if you want to talk about the height of the spire itself, didn't the first few versions of the FT feature a 700-800 ft building with the rest being a spire/birdcage to 1776? IMO the spire is beautiful and fits very well with the building.
Old January 5th, 2008, 01:01 AM   #3563
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-whit-kid View Post
i heard on TV a while ago that the radio waves from sears could kill you, or at least 'fry your brains out'. so if thats true i dont really think you would feel so lucky inside the FT spire

That's why I said "few," meaning the workers, and there may be no antenna, but just a spire.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 02:29 PM   #3564
jak3m

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
That's why I said "few," meaning the workers, and there may be no antenna, but just a spire.
But i thought and heard the whole point of having a spire/antenna on the freedom tower was to replace the lost communication wave things of the antenna of the old WTC.
Old January 5th, 2008, 07:43 PM   #3565
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 867

^ Already done. Conde Nast installed a antenna on it's building to make up for the antenna lost on 1 WTC.
Old January 6th, 2008, 01:31 AM   #3566
delores

Likes (Received): 473

Personally I really don't think the tower or the spire are particually good. I never quiet understood the reasoning for the towers design, it just seems so dated.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 11:30 PM   #3567
JR
Never Forget

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Woah some people need to quit whining.
I'm not whining. Just trying to understand...

Quote:
The FT has both a spire and antenna.
All I'm trying to say is that based on the logic of FT's official height, the antenna of 1WTC should have been included in its OH. After all, what is an antenna anyway.. what differentiates between "an antenna and a spire" with just "an antenna". Most of the structure on top of 1WTC was not antenna. It was a spire, which supported the transmission equipment.

Quote:
The antenna is supposed to be inside the spire.
In that case the cover material of the spire cannot be metal. Otherwise it would function as a Faraday cage and would block all radio waves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dude View Post
It's not so much the ownership as it is the intent; spires are actual design elements of a building whereas an antenna is simply an addition.
Right. But in some cases there's a very thin line between a spire and an antenna, like here. And why antennas cannot be considered as design elements afterwards. Like Hollie Maea mentioned, the antennas of the Sears Tower would most likely be considered as part of the design in case they stopped transmitting... would the official height of the tower then increase to 527 m just by redefining the status of the antennas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dude View Post
If a lease were not renewed on an antenna then it could be removed from a building's roof; a spire as just a spire essentially serves no purpose but to extend the building/complete the design of the building.
Yep.. but in this case the spire will also serve an obvious purpose, the exact same purpose as the "spire" of 1WTC did. That's what is confusing.

The entire idea of making the official height of the FT exactly 1776 ft seems a little artificial. After all, that height is significant only in the English system of measurements. Americans are going to start using the metric system in a few decades anyway They should've made it 1776 m .

PS. Nobody commented the 82/108 floors of the tower.

Last edited by JR; January 8th, 2008 at 10:02 AM.
JR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 03:55 AM   #3568
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

That 108 floors does sound very awkward when I was told it would be 82 floors with 69 of them occuppied.
Old January 7th, 2008, 04:16 AM   #3569
Ebola
BANNED

Too bad you're not working for Silverstein Properties or the PANYNJ, which stated many times that there will be at least 102 floors. If office workers will use them all or not or if they have other uses or if they skip in the base or only have a portion of a floor on certain levels, that doesn't change reality. I don't hear anyone bitching about the ICC or 7WTC.

This BS has to stop again. If you don't like what you see, don't post.
Old January 7th, 2008, 04:16 AM   #3570
Joy Machine
George

Likes (Received): 35

300 grand a day in fines!?!?! OMG! I'm obviously in the wrong business because surely thats not how much that Silverstein is losing a day by not starting construction on time. That calculates to 109.5 million dollars a year if he averaged that much a day.
Joy Machine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 06:19 AM   #3571
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy Machine View Post
That calculates to 109.5 million dollars a year if he averaged that much a day.
Yeah so if they were a year late he'd be in big trouble. But as it stands now they'll lose about 10 million, but the contractor has to eat it.
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 07:16 AM   #3572
Ebola
BANNED

That's correct. In reality, no one at all is at a loss because the PANYNJ was supposed to pay a 10 or 20 million dollar bonus to the contractor if they completed the job early or on time.

Any day now, we will have a groundbreaking for one of the other towers, and a few weeks later, another tower, and then five months later, 99 Church Street (70 floors) and WTC Tower 2 will start up also, and by then, I bet the Beekman Tower (75+ floors) will be rising quickly along with most other towers close to the Freedom Tower. We'll also see 123 Washington rising within a few weeks.
Old January 7th, 2008, 01:07 PM   #3573
TOB1AS

Likes (Received): 19

I wonder how many action movies that will have like a scene with some super hero/super villain being thrown on top of this spire to die
TOB1AS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 03:12 PM   #3574
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR View Post
The entire idea of making the official height of the FT exactly 1776 ft seems a little artificial. After all, that height is significant only in the English system of measurements. American's are going to start using the metric system in a few decades anyway They should've made it 1776 m .
Yeah sure, the U.S. is going to adopt the metric system just like we did in the seventies! A law was passed in 1975 setting a 10 year plan for conversion of America to the metric system. The commission to oversee the conversion has long since been disbanded yet we're no more metric today than we were in 1975! Maybe in a couple centuries but not in a couple decades,
Old January 7th, 2008, 04:58 PM   #3575
chjbolton
chjbolton

Likes (Received): 76

Well... You guys are just plain wrong on that one!
I'm not sure the US will ever go metric...

How about a simpler answer to the quoted post by JR:
1776 relates the independance year of the country, making the tower all symbolic; and stuff... Therefore: Freedom Tower.
Old January 8th, 2008, 12:21 AM   #3576
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie Maea View Post
I know you guys hate TalB, but this is big news that needed to be posted. We've all been dying to know if they made the deadline, and now we know. Should the news not have been posted just because it's bad news?
Not every article I place here on the FT is necessarily agrees with me. If I didn't place that article, I can guarantee that someone else would have done that. For the record, I have placed articles that were both positive and negative, plus even some that were neutral that had to do with this topic. Either way, I am just the messenger of this news articles, so I insist on writing to the media like I do if anyone has a grudge on them, but don't take it out on me b/c I didn't write those articles, somebody else did.
Old January 8th, 2008, 03:12 AM   #3577
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

I think you got the wrong impression. I'm on your side on this.
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 10:52 PM   #3578
charger1966

Likes (Received): 10

Updates

Well is it me or is this thread already dead. I have not seen any good updated photos in quite awhile. I think that the web cam is getting to be useless and we need more shots of what's going on inside the bath tub. This thread started out hot but has since cooooooled way down.

I like the pics from WTC Rising but we need more from other sources.

Lance
charger1966 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 11:02 PM   #3579
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6560

today i saw that they're working on the formwork for the right core half
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 12:18 AM   #3580
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
today i saw that they're working on the formwork for the right core half
I wish some of the people who see what's happening would take pictures and post them of those of us who do not live in New York see the progress. As noted in a previous post the web cam really isn't a lot of help.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center