daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 2nd, 2007, 07:27 PM   #341
Mplsuptown

Likes (Received): 713

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesMetroBoy View Post
The 5 columns standing out of the tub.... i would like to see some other images, but thats all we got for a while (unfortunally)

Hey it's 1 column for every year so there's gotta be a new one sometime this year. It's just gonna take a little time.

*And Major D., just leave the angry man's post up. - spectre000

Highcliff liked this post
Mplsuptown está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2007, 07:51 PM   #342
MarkBton

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
If cams aren't working... Why not anyone here who lives in NYC or near to it make an effort to take pictures just for all of us?

The following site seems to have loads of new construction picture updates of the FT. It's where I have been getting my pic fix from for the last few weeks
http://www.projectrebirth.com/gallery/

MarkBton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 08:15 PM   #343
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 82

I think we'll see more pictures when its more visible above street level. Its hard to get pictures when your on street level and the work is going behind 7 foot high walls in a massive hole.

andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 08:50 PM   #344
Adi-Romania(Boston)

Likes (Received): 12

Ridiculous....with this kind of attitude on promoting its buildings New York City seems to be slowly losing its flavor.

Adi-Romania(Boston) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 09:06 PM   #345
Spooky873
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

there are hundreds of other projects that get built in a fraction of the time around NYC than this. in the meantime dont even notice though, just waste your time with this.

Spooky873 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 10:13 PM   #346
Escoto_Dubai2008
Dubai, 21st Century City

Likes (Received): 411

I don't watch any advance on this tower.

Mis Blogs

!Somos seres humanos,....! !Nuestras vidas tienen valor!

Escoto_Dubai2008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 06:47 AM   #347
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.nysun.com/article/49625
Durst and Malkin Could Lose Big If Tower Is Built

BY DAVID LOMBINO

March 2, 2007

The pair of major landlords waging a campaign against the Freedom Tower have been arguing publicly against the project without disclosing that they personally could lose millions of dollars a year if it is built.

Last week, developers Douglas Durst and Anthony Malkin put their names at the bottom of full-page advertisements in several New York City newspapers by a group they are co-chairmen of called The Continuing Committee for a Reasonable World Trade Center. The advertisements said the project was ill conceived, too expensive, and poorly planned.

The ads were released just after the Spitzer administration indicated it would move forward with the project, and before the Port Authority approved several key construction contacts. They went into detail about the tower's architecture, its security vulnerabilities, its rent roll, its height, its name — just about everything except for the fact that the project includes plans for television and radio broadcast antennae that would replace those on the old twin towers, and compete with those on buildings owned by Messrs. Malkin and Durst.

Mr. Malkin controls the Empire State Building and Mr. Durst owns the Condé Nast Building at 4 Times Square, both of which are now the most desirable locations in the city for the location of television and radio broadcast facilities and their antennae.

Following the destruction of the World Trade Center, the Empire State Building antenna, at about 1,454 feet tall, became the primary antenna for the area's major television stations. The Conde Nast building antenna, at about 1,141 feet tall, became a favorite backup.

The Port Authority, which owns the Freedom Tower, is currently in negotiations with the Metropolitan TV Alliance, a conglomerate of local television broadcasters. The MTVA has committed to using the proposed 256-foot broadcast antenna on top of the Freedom Tower. Sources close to the negotiations say the contract is nearly complete and would net about $10 million a year in annual rent to the Port Authority. A 20 to 30 year contact worth hundreds of millions of dollars would contribute to the financial viability of the Freedom Tower, they say.

A source close to the negotiations between the Port Authority and the MTVA said the new antenna, reaching higher than all competing antenna facilities, at 1,776 feet tall, would be the highest point in the region, offering broadcasters the clearest level of service. Other antennae, like the facilities on Messrs. Durst or Malkin's buildings, could still be used to create a signal redundancy, but would probably command lower rents.

In a telephone interview, Mr. Malkin said he does not view the Freedom Tower's antenna as a "competitive threat." He said his public involvement is not financially motivated.

"Whatever revenues we have are locked in. They are long-term contracts. I will likely be retired or retiring before it become an issue," Mr. Malkin said. "When the World Trade Center was in place and functioning, our broadcast facility was full. If we are not the number one facility, we are the number two. Broadcasters will have to use our facility."

A former top real estate official at the Port Authority who negotiated the last deal between broadcasters and the former World Trade Center, James Connors, now works for Mr. Malkin.

A spokesman for the Durst Organization, Jordan Barowitz, said that antenna revenue was not behind Mr. Durst's public campaign. He said Mr. Durst would like to see the Freedom Tower rebuilt, but redesigned and delayed. Mr. Barowitz said revenue from antennae accounts for less than .5% of the Durst Organization's total revenue.

Both Messrs. Durst and Malkin have said they were continuing a family tradition. In the 1960s, Mr. Durst's father, Seymour Durst, and Mr. Malkin's grandfather, Lawrence Wien, formed the Committee for a Reasonable World Trade Center to protest the original twin towers.

A spokesman for the Port Authority, John McCarthy, declined to comment because the antenna agreement is being negotiated.

A spokesman for the MTVA, Pat Smith, would not comment on the status of the negotiations, but he said new antenna facilities are necessary. He said the broadcasters are committed to a Freedom Tower facility.

"There are still millions of people in the metropolitan area who do not have cable, or who have additional televisions in the house without cable. They are not getting a fully adequate signal. It would also facilitate the transition to digital television," Mr. Smith said.

Before committing to the Freedom Tower antenna, MTVA had considered other sites in New York and New Jersey, including the possibility of a free-standing antenna not connected to any existing building.

TalB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 08:29 AM   #348
Renato Leao
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

in my opinion this is waste time
everybody forguet this tower for a moment
I think this area have no good energy
Renato Leao no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 05:15 AM   #349
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

^Whatever.

I wish I could see the site now. Can someone please take pictures? All the cams are down and I live all the way in Brooklyn. I hear a few tower cranes have been erected for the GS Tower, which is right next to the WTC site. The Beekman Tower and 123 Washington are also guna look hot close to the WTC site. There's so much going on and most people have no idea. This city will have one hell of a skyline by 2012; from Midtown to Downtown, trust me, very tall towers will be going up all over the place.

Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 09:46 AM   #350
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

YEAH! I can't wait to see huge change for NYC skyline in 2013!

CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 07:56 PM   #351
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

yes me too, NY really needs more supertalls in Midtown!

ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 12:22 AM   #352
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
^Whatever.

I wish I could see the site now. Can someone please take pictures? All the cams are down and I live all the way in Brooklyn. I hear a few tower cranes have been erected for the GS Tower, which is right next to the WTC site. The Beekman Tower and 123 Washington are also guna look hot close to the WTC site. There's so much going on and most people have no idea. This city will have one hell of a skyline by 2012; from Midtown to Downtown, trust me, very tall towers will be going up all over the place.
You wouldn't be missing much anyway as of right now b/c it has been a slow progress.

TalB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 03:15 AM   #353
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

^Whatever.

There are still no construction cams to check. I used to check like 4 times a day when they were up. It's killing me.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 04:40 AM   #354
FastFerrari
I double dog dare you!!!

Likes (Received): 32

SLOW PROCESS

Its gonna be 2020 by the time they finish. Should they have gotten Trump to build em?

Last edited by FastFerrari; March 7th, 2007 at 04:46 AM.
FastFerrari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 04:41 AM   #355
CrazyAboutCities

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
yes me too, NY really needs more supertalls in Midtown!
Yeah I like to see more skyscrapers to get built between downtown and Midtown. It look little weird to have two major skylines being separate in same area. It will be nicer of NYC skylines merge into major NYC skyline.

Old March 7th, 2007, 08:11 AM   #356
Brendan

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
Its gonna be 2020 by the time they finish. Should they have gotten Trump to build em?
Yes I think they should have gone with Donald Trump's original plan.

Twin Towers 2.

Brendan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 09:09 AM   #357
LosAngelesMetroBoy

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
Yeah I like to see more skyscrapers to get built between downtown and Midtown. It look little weird to have two major skylines being separate in same area. It will be nicer of NYC skylines merge into major NYC skyline.
I would hope alot of those old brick buildings could stay though, i like the area between downtown and midtown, it would be a damn shame if all that got torn up for some modern steel monstrocities.

LosAngelesMetroBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 09:13 AM   #358
CrazyAboutCities

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesMetroBoy View Post
I would hope alot of those old brick buildings could stay though, i like the area between downtown and midtown, it would be a damn shame if all that got torn up for some modern steel monstrocities.
Yeah it doesn't have to demolish entire old brick buildings though. They can be built somewhere else or build on it.

Old March 7th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #359
Escoto_Dubai2008
Dubai, 21st Century City

Likes (Received): 411

New York is a great city, but it needs new skyscrapers.

Mis Blogs

!Somos seres humanos,....! !Nuestras vidas tienen valor!

Escoto_Dubai2008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 02:05 PM   #360
megatower
BANNED

Likes (Received): 34

megatower no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center