daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 15th, 2012, 07:48 PM   #36281
Davidsam52

Likes (Received): 160

[111 von Vin Schiano auf Flickr[/QUOTE]

I know it's off topic but $6.50 toll for the BBT? YIKES!!!
Davidsam52 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #36282
PMadFlyer

Likes (Received): 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
Our expert has talked.
I'm by no means an expert, I just used all the sources available to recreate the structure. for instance, I used the PA's update pictures, iron workers' descriptions on the forums, Zen's diagrams, the PA's leasing floor plans, and other sources were used for the floor plans. I used the various photos of the spire and rings both in planning and under construction at the shop. I have 152 pictures in a file dedicated to this tower. I was not the first person to upload renders. Otie, STR, and the Golden Architect, were the first. Alan88's BIM diagram is the basis of my temporary steel structure. Also, as mentioned, the greatest resource of all was our prematurely taken Zen Steel Dude , who provided the large majority of the first info used by model makers.
PMadFlyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2012, 11:55 PM   #36283
Jongeheer

Likes (Received): 217

Slightly off-topic, but I figure there are some fans around here

Jongeheer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 12:13 AM   #36284
Skyscr8per

Likes (Received): 0

I was wondering the same thing. It's not the first time Earthcam has taken off cams before, but that was usually one or two and they were back up within a few days. Now there's only the skyline cam and the street level cam left. I dunno, maybe it's temporarily down for security reasons. Maybe they don't want us to know everything about the construction.
Skyscr8per no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 12:47 AM   #36285
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

Some views from 1WTC:

all: http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2012/0..._wtc_tours.php
Old August 16th, 2012, 01:29 AM   #36286
JD47

Likes (Received): 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty new yorker View Post
Its hard to say because there was about 500 different companies with offices in the complex during the 90s. Other than th PA itself most big tenants are different companies now as far as i know.
I remember Cantor Fitzgerald was in 1WTC and lost half of its work force. I know they are based in Midtown now but would there be any chance that they would move back down to the new WTC?
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 02:39 AM   #36287
NewYorker2009

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47 View Post
I remember Cantor Fitzgerald was in 1WTC and lost half of its work force. I know they are based in Midtown now but would there be any chance that they would move back down to the new WTC?
Not likely, If I were them I wouldn't want to move back there after what happened. I doubt a lot of the companies that were in the WTC prior to 9/11 will move into One World Trade Center. Then again you never know, anything is possible.
NewYorker2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 02:58 AM   #36288
Davidsam52

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscr8per View Post
I was wondering the same thing. It's not the first time Earthcam has taken off cams before, but that was usually one or two and they were back up within a few days. Now there's only the skyline cam and the street level cam left. I dunno, maybe it's temporarily down for security reasons. Maybe they don't want us to know everything about the construction.
I asked Carlos over on SSP if there were bad storms last night in the NY area. He said indeed there were, so maybe that's what knocked the cameras out of action.
Davidsam52 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 03:27 AM   #36289
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22569

last night storm wasn't as bad as today's
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 03:43 AM   #36290
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1032

It's amazing to see those views from the top of 1WTC. Keep in mind, these are the first pictures being taken from this vantage point in 11 years.
Old August 16th, 2012, 05:54 AM   #36292
Mercenary

Likes (Received): 201

So here is what the order of completion will be at World Trade Center site:

1 - 7 WTC in 2006
2 - 9/11 Memorial in 2011
3 - Museum in 2013
4 - 4 WTC in 2013
5 - Vehicular Hub in 2014
6 - One World Trade Center in 2014
7 - Transportation Hub in 2015
8 - Performing Arts Center in 2016
8 - 2 WTC in ????
9 - 3 WTC in ????
10-5 WTC in ????
Mercenary no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 06:58 AM   #36293
NewYorkSkyline117

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidsam52 View Post
I asked Carlos over on SSP if there were bad storms last night in the NY area. He said indeed there were, so maybe that's what knocked the cameras out of action.
There's no way that's why, the storms were very very minor last night and somewhat severe today..
NewYorkSkyline117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 07:51 AM   #36294
Legomaniac

Likes (Received): 1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
very nice picture. This page has so much updating that i usually try to not visit it as often so i can see the difference.

cheers
Legomaniac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 08:22 AM   #36295
testdrive

Likes (Received): 1194

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidsam52 View Post
[111 von Vin Schiano auf Flickr
I know it's off topic but $6.50 toll for the BBT? YIKES!!![/QUOTE]

Ha.........I noticed that too..........they just raised the toll on a bridge here in Seattle $3.59 at peak times and people were outraged...........$6.50 I imagine they would be lighting the torches and get into a flash mob
testdrive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 12:12 PM   #36296
Deepspace9

Likes (Received): 17

earthcam

does anyone know why the earthcams ware taken offline?& missing? there's only 2 now they went down when obama was visiting but then they ware back online but now offline so maybe they are down for security reasons?

does anyone know when they will be online again?or please post alternate links to the cams
Deepspace9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #36297
JD47

Likes (Received): 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
Not likely, If I were them I wouldn't want to move back there after what happened. I doubt a lot of the companies that were in the WTC prior to 9/11 will move into One World Trade Center. Then again you never know, anything is possible.
Thats what I was thinking myself. They lost a lot of staff that day so I couldn't see them going back down to the WTC but I was wondering more about the companies on the lower floors.
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 03:08 PM   #36298
raider12

Likes (Received): 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by testdrive View Post

I know it's off topic but $6.50 toll for the BBT? YIKES!!!
Ha.........I noticed that too..........they just raised the toll on a bridge here in Seattle $3.59 at peak times and people were outraged...........$6.50 I imagine they would be lighting the torches and get into a flash mob[/QUOTE]

try driving across the Verrazano and i believe you pay $13 both waysmakes the GW a bargain at $12 and pay only one way
raider12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 03:26 PM   #36299
Tcha Ya Know What?

Likes (Received): 0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RSXJ...eature=related

This is a great song and between 2:55 - 3:00 there is a stunning shot of 1WTC!

Oh, and for those people who keep mentioning the spire/antenna - I propose a new portmanteau; Spantenna ; p
Tcha Ya Know What? no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 03:55 PM   #36300
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Another possible spire redesign?

I don't know what to make of this but at least it is being made known how unnacceptable the change is...

One World Trade Center’s Skinny Spire Redesign Might Not Measure Up

Quote:
New renderings of One World Trade Center released last week give a more detailed look at a slimmed-down design for the Lower Manhattan Skyscraper’s 408-foot spire. Not only could the design change keep the tower from reaching a symbolic height, it might also compromise its bid to be the tallest building in the United States.

Skidmore Owings & Merrill (SOM) and structural consultant Schlaich Bergermann und Partner’s original design for the spire enclosed it in a tapering shield of white fiberglass plates. But last year, in a move that saves $20 million in construction costs, the development team of the Durst Organization and the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey decided to take off the cladding, resulting in the narrow metallic mast visible in the recent renderings. If that spire is just a bolted-on antenna, rather than an architectural element, it would not count toward the building’s official height, according to the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, the organization recognized as the official score-keeper for towers across the globe.

One World Trade would then clock in at just 1,368 feet, earning it second-tallest status behind Chicago’s 1,451-foot Willis Tower (formerly the Sears Tower). In fact, antennas on Willis Tower are not counted toward the building’s height for the very same reason, says Kevin Brass, the council’s spokesman.

...for their part, the developers dispute the characterization of the spire as an antenna, saying that it will be illuminated at night, and that it will not be used as a transmitter, though as in the original design, broadcast equipment will hang from it. Plus, the design change will make caring for the spire less treacherous; workers won’t have to scale it to replace fiberglass panels, says Jordan Barowitz, a Durst spokesman: “That’s the stuff of ‘Mission Impossible,’ not skyscraper maintenance.” Brass says the council plans to meet with Durst and review the new plans and will reserve final judgment until the project is complete. He also acknowledges that some amount of tweaking was expected before the 104-story tower was finished in 2014. “We are a still a long way from a completed project,” he said. “Designs change during projects all the time.”
http://archrecord.construction.com/n...e-Redesign.asp
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center