daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 27th, 2008, 07:01 PM   #3681
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine_121 View Post
And the history behind the world trade centre and what it is becoming is something that no other country or city will ever have
this history is nothing splendid, 2001 was terrible.........
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2008, 07:21 PM   #3682
storms991
Leicester:NY:London

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
The world trade centre site is going to look shit hot when its finished, just because its not going to be the worlds tallest building or constructed as fast as something in dubai dosnt make it any less amazing or symbolic!!
And the history behind the world trade centre and what it is becoming is something that no other country or city will ever have
You're right that the building will look quite good, but the history of these tower is nothing special. The buildings themselves weren't that good looking in the first place. Two large boxes rising up from the ground blocking the view to many other far better structures.
storms991 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 07:34 PM   #3683
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

RealThang there is a difference. The memorial isn't being built by Silverstein (a real developer). It is being built by a non-profit group with the governments help. There are not to say the least financial and issues of efficiencies when it comes to a tidy completion date.
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #3684
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealThang View Post
Yer kidding, of course...

Tower 2 after 6 months will be 20 to 30 floors?
Towers 3 & 4 will be how high after 12 months?

By May, tower 1 will be reaching street level, after 2 years of construction. So you're saying the other towers will rise at three, four times the rate of the FT?

The foundations for towers 2, 3, and 4 won't be done until the end of 2009.
You must understand that the structural systems of all four towers is straightfoward, and i'm sure they will all be of structural steel, except the cores, so the structual framing of Tower's, 2, and 3, could go as fast as 3 and 1/2 floors per week, plus there are no underground obstructions, (such as train right of ways, or exsisting structure's, such as with the FT) to slow down foundation work, Tower 4's foundation work should be at street level by at the latest, july/aug, 08. and Tower 3's at about the same time, Tower 2's foundations (actual) should be also starting before or in june, 08 in the same above time frame.....!!!!
Old January 27th, 2008, 11:33 PM   #3685
sam-whit-kid
'what are digits?'

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
its hardly a pretty history, and im not sure many cities or countries would ever want a story like it
sam-whit-kid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 12:02 AM   #3686
Comdot
Taikun

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmancuso View Post
thanks to a bunch of trolls, thread number 5 was beyond repair.

this thread is about the freedom tower and the freedom tower only. if you don't have anything constructive to add about this project, don't bother posting.

*if you have an uncontrollable urge to talk about dubai and/or beat your chest about it, do it in the countless dubai love-fest threads out there. not here. remember...this is new york. not dubai...

*if you think this tower sucks and prefer the original world trade center instead, this thread isn't for you.

consider this a warning in advance...

what a statement
Comdot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 12:07 AM   #3687
RealThang
Registered Fanatic

Likes (Received): 0

I'm really sorry to doubt all your collective wisdom re construction speed but I don't see it based on WTC experience. You all might be right. WTC7 and WTC1 used what I understand is a New York non-standard construction technique of building the core first followed by structural steel. It was in a trade magazine article about a year ago. This technique apparently is slower than the reverse. I also understand there are other issues surrounding the construction of the 3 other towers surrounding the failure of the PA to complete the demolition of 130 Liberty on time. Add in the failure to deliver at least 2 of the properties on time (albeit T4 was only 10 days late). They have about 2 weeks left to finish T3 according to their revised schedule.

So while I hope they can meet their schedules, I also realize that project schedules are made with a 20% contingency bufffer. In other words, a 5 billion dollar tower that is scheduled to be completed in 5 years has a contingency of 6 years at $6B, as an example.

Bottom line? We'll see...
RealThang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 02:25 AM   #3688
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man

Likes (Received): 121

Actually, the core of Tower 7, was slipformed and poured after steel erection was 4 to 6 floors above the level being poured, I do not know for sure that Tower's, 2,3,4, will use this method, but i'm pretty sure the FT core will rise first, and above steel construction operations, also i think alot of the structural steel going into the FT will be concrete encased, i think it will be structurally similar to the Shanghai WFC.

And second, the method of construction, where the core rises above the steel surround, is the second most common construction method used worldwide, (slipformed concrete, being #1) as far as political and financial issues, i base my timeframes on actual construction experience, and the 20+ highrise projects i've been involved with in the last 30 years.
Old January 28th, 2008, 11:56 PM   #3689
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01242008...ero_635328.htm
DOUBLE TALK ON GROUND ZERO

January 24, 2008 -- The former Deutsche Bank building at Ground Zero has stood for years as a monument to bureaucratic bungling - but could finally be coming down!

. . . Sometime this year.

That is, if one is to believe Lower Manhattan Development Corp. Chairman Avi Schick, who took heat at the City Council yesterday over the LMDC's continued inability to bring down the building - which was grievously damaged on 9/11, and in August was the site of a hellish blaze that killed two firefighters.

Schick got a much-deserved tongue-lashing from Councilman Peter Vallone (D-Queens) after first insisting that any timetable for the building's demolition wouldn't be "productive" at this point.

Maybe not from his perspective. No timetable, after all, means no benchmark for progress - and no standard against which to gauge blame.

No wonder that Schick was soon back to his original plan: asking the council, in essence, to simply accept his assurances that all concerned are "committed" to getting the building down quickly.

Whatever the hell that means.

Indeed, Schick wouldn't (couldn't?) even say what precise steps are still needed before the LMDC gets the all-clear to resume work.

And that's especially odd, given that subcontractor LVI Services says it hopes to restart preliminary deconstruction work by Monday.

Bottom line: Schick's dodgy testimony inspires little confidence that further delays aren't in the wings.

More candor, please.
Old January 29th, 2008, 04:11 AM   #3690
cozak
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

When it's finished, it 'll be a point the eyes of Newyork city. This building's very nice.
cozak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 05:11 AM   #3691
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

Looks like they poured the first floor on the southern side of the building. I wonder how much more time before the rest of that floor is poured?
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 08:27 PM   #3692
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

99 church, wtc 3, wtc 2, wtc 1, goldman sachs

philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 08:44 PM   #3693
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post
Looks like they poured the first floor on the southern side of the building. I wonder how much more time before the rest of that floor is poured?
should be done in the next few days i think
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 09:08 PM   #3694
Tag_one

Likes (Received): 6

Don't think so, first they need to pour the walls along the path tracks and the concrete around the steel beams. Then they'll have to install the formwork and place the rebar. With the current speed I think it will be somewhere next month.
Tag_one no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 09:16 PM   #3695
mudvayneimn
Evry City Nds a Blk Box!

Likes (Received): 17

It seems that many have a negative view of the FT. From the renders I think this building is going to be amazingly beautiful, and a great addition to the NYC skyline.
Old January 29th, 2008, 09:33 PM   #3696
Dallasbrink
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

Best Render i have ever seen
Dallasbrink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 09:34 PM   #3697
Cojapo

Likes (Received): 50

Where is 99 Church in that? Shouldn't it be next to FT?
Nevermind. I checked out Google Earth and that is in the right place. Just looks a little taller than what I thought.

Last edited by Cojapo; January 29th, 2008 at 09:39 PM.
Cojapo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 09:37 PM   #3698
Dallasbrink
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

Wait...did you say the first floor was poured...Like Ground Floor first floor? Lets see it.
Dallasbrink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 11:49 PM   #3699
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

beautiful render..... absolutly amazing. FT will be gorgeous!!!
I really need to go and live in New York...
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 12:17 AM   #3700
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

99 Church Street (unveiled today) is over 900 feet tall and has 80 floors.

That makes 5 or even perhaps 6 towers over 900 feet tall u/c at the same time.

Last edited by Ebola; January 30th, 2008 at 12:32 AM.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center