daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 15th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #37141
Chibears85
MEOW!

Likes (Received): 669

Here is a cool picture archive of 1WTC (2009-2012)
http://wtc.wikia.com/wiki/New_One_Wo...cture_Archives

Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2012, 11:12 PM   #37142
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee fan for life View Post

Only for the past 800 years since the middle ages,that spires have been counted for a building height,some people should just get over it and accepted that that's the way things are .
Quote:
Only for the past 800 years since the middle ages,that spires have been counted for a building

In the middle ages they didn't have skyscrapers, the tallest buildings were churches or cathedrals, they had steeples, which were part of the buildings structure not thin pieces of steel that sit on the roof called a spire(antennae)
iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2012, 11:18 PM   #37143
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead262 View Post
Thea antenna/spire will probably count for height anyway, because of the decorative light on top.
CTBUH : Well, we weren't going to count the antennae, but then we figured out they were adding a light to the top....

Do you realize how absurd that sounds ? A small light is the difference between 130 meters, and 0 meters! There seems to be 0 reasoning behind this. If I add a decorative light to the ESB antennae, it suddenly is taller then 1 wtc based off that logic, makes sense right....
iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2012, 11:24 PM   #37144
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
Because in the case of 1wtc, the spire enclosed the antenna.

Most people,if not all, stop at the roof and don't look at the top of the spire.

The spire still has to be mounted to the building just like an antenna, I don't see much of a difference.
ok it doesn't really matter what people think or if they think the spire is part of the building or not, its all down to the people (i forgot the name) who decide the height.
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012, 12:04 AM   #37145
nicvalcarroz
Nic

Likes (Received): 149

Greetings friends, from Chile, Chillán! XD "

Robert Kiyosaki En 2016 EE.UU Se en encontrara en medio de un colapso por hiperinflación

David Wilkerson, menciona en este Orden irán cayendo las Potencias y Naciones:Primero sera Europa, segundo Japón, Tercero Estados Unidos, Cuarto Canadá, Quinto: Todos los países del mundo
http://nicolas24carcamoroz.blogspot.es/
nicvalcarroz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012, 02:07 AM   #37146
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead262 View Post
Thea antenna/spire will probably count for height anyway, because of the decorative light on top.
NO the Antenna won't count,, read the definition between a spire and an antenna,, Plenty of bldgs hjave antennas with lights,,, that means absolutely NOTHING.
Old September 16th, 2012, 02:13 AM   #37147
1Filipe1
BANNED

Seriously stop with the antenna or spire shit. Don't say oh it does count, oh it doesn't count, we will find out if it counts or not when the building is completed so can we just all stop with this crap. It's seriously getting old, GRR
Old September 16th, 2012, 02:51 AM   #37148
chris123678

Likes (Received): 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1 View Post
Seriously stop with the antenna or spire shit. Don't say oh it does count, oh it doesn't count, we will find out if it counts or not when the building is completed so can we just all stop with this crap. It's seriously getting old, GRR

Chill out, this will most likely continue until a descison is reached,
chris123678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012, 02:57 AM   #37149
1Filipe1
BANNED

Quote:
Chill out, this will most likely continue until a descison is reached,
I dont need to chill out, im not mad..sorry for saying a bad word..didn't realize i was in pre-school, but anyway, theirs no point in continuing this discussion because it won't matter what anyone says or thinks except for the people deciding it.
Old September 16th, 2012, 03:33 AM   #37150
chris123678

Likes (Received): 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1 View Post
I dont need to chill out, im not mad..sorry for saying a bad word..didn't realize i was in pre-school, but anyway, theirs no point in continuing this discussion because it won't matter what anyone says or thinks except for the people deciding it.
Look, the only thing left to talk about is the spire and the base so you'll just have to deal with it.
chris123678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012, 03:38 AM   #37151
1Filipe1
BANNED

Quote:
Look, the only thing left to talk about is the spire and the base so you'll just have to deal with it.
yes, spire assembly, not debating whether its an antenna or not.
Old September 16th, 2012, 03:51 AM   #37152
badilger

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMadFlyer
About the comparison between the safety of the old and new towers, I have to say you are all pretty right. The twins were some of the first all steel buildings with an inner core and open floor plan. Despite the ultimate demise of the buildings on that day, thousands of lives below the impact zones were saved by the redundant design. In hindsight, we can say it had inferior fireproofing, or week steel, but they could have never seen a 737 revving it's engines coming towards the tower. The north tower survived a 6 floor fire in 1975 and a bombing in 1993. On 9-11 the towers held their own with gaping holes as the furniture and office equipment within was ignited and the overloaded steel softened and failed. After the momentum was created the force was powerful enough to pulverize concrete into dust.

To answer what would happen to the tower if the tower was attacked similarly, the damage would be horrible on a human scale. Like the 1993 bombing, it would be repaired one way or another. I doubt it will ever happen again though. I'd like to think that most Americans would sacrifice themselves before they would let their plane be used for such an atrocity.

As with a lot of tragic lessons, thousands of lives are lost before we see how naive we were before, be it 9-11, the Holocaust, the atom bombs over Japan, Chernobyl, the World Wars, Vietnam, or many other lessons. This tower is the combination of what we learned on a very dark day at the expense of thousands of lives.
I think the main lesson we learn is that 9/11 can be compared to Pearl Harbor where the US wasn't vigilant enough for enemies foreign and domestic. Tonight I watched a special on WTC1 and The Memorial that went into considerable detail on security precautions for the tower. Did anyone know they have a special air filtering system? But nothing can stop an atomic bomb which is why nations must be prevented from obtaining more of them.
badilger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012, 04:06 AM   #37153
bigreach

Quote:
Originally Posted by badilger View Post
I think the main lesson we learn is that 9/11 can be compared to Pearl Harbor where the US wasn't vigilant enough for enemies foreign and domestic. Tonight I watched a special on WTC1 and The Memorial that went into considerable detail on security precautions for the tower. Did anyone know they have a special air filtering system? But nothing can stop an atomic bomb which is why nations must be prevented from obtaining more of them.
Wow where was that program?? and Is it on the WEB??? Sounds interesting..
Old September 16th, 2012, 04:34 AM   #37154
badilger

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreach
Wow where was that program?? and Is it on the WEB??? Sounds interesting..
Tonight's NOVA had an hour-long show with great stats and pictures. The glass cladding the concrete 180' base was originally developed here and sent to China for a prism channeling, then bonded to a flat sheet of glass making it about 2" thick. They tested it with a small sledge and the pieces rained dangerous shards. Back to the drawing board...

The special air filtration system WTC1 is having fitted is proof against chemical and biological agents: see "Skyscrapers" by Judith Dupré.
badilger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012, 05:16 AM   #37155
bigreach

Thanks badilger
Old September 16th, 2012, 05:46 AM   #37156
SebaFun
Sebastian

Likes (Received): 16341

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post

This being the same as the render! much better in reality!

I love this tower, the tower of hope and remembrance.

New york fantastic job!

I Love USA
SebaFun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012, 06:18 AM   #37157
PDC1987

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Because in the case of 1wtc, the spire enclosed the antenna.

Most people,if not all, stop at the roof and don't look at the top of the spire.

The spire still has to be mounted to the building just like an antenna, I don't see much of a difference.
A spire is an architectural part of the building. Antennas, masts, flag poles etc serve other purposes and can be easily removed/adjusted.
PDC1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012, 06:41 AM   #37158
Chibears85
MEOW!

Likes (Received): 669

The spire vs. antenna and will it count thing is getting old. People have been talking about 'Will it count?' since I first joined 3 MONTHS AGO! Its time to let it rest and just get on with other things about the WTC, like the base cladding or something.
Old September 16th, 2012, 07:35 AM   #37159
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibears85 View Post
The spire vs. antenna and will it count thing is getting old. People have been talking about 'Will it count?' since I first joined 3 MONTHS AGO! Its time to let it rest and just get on with other things about the WTC, like the base cladding or something.
The spire vs antenna thing has been going on for the last 14 years (at least). Get used to it, cause it's never going away.
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012, 08:24 AM   #37160
CoCoMilk

Likes (Received): 1131

More photos

image hosted on flickr

One and Four World Trade Center Construction Site, New York City by jag9889, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

It'll be nice when it's finished. by David Hulme, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

One World Trade Center by Morten Hoff, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

One World Trade Center by Morten Hoff, on Flickr
CoCoMilk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center